Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a DPMS sportical I haven't fired yet. Due to everything I've been reading about cleaning regimens due to the gas system, and the switch to piston systems, I was wondering how the Minis with their piston type M14 systems hold up and their reliability. Was going to trade but my local gun shop owner said I'd be disappointed. Thoughts?

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've got a mini and also an AR.

The mini is a heartbreaking disappointment all the way around. On average the mini's turn in 6" groups at 100 yards and if the stars align just right for some few folks you can get it down to 4". Or you can send it in for 800 to 1200 dollars and have it rebuilt with a bull barrel.

In addition- I never did like how the mini magazine locks up. And I never liked the lack of good low cost magazines either.

As to the AR, just clean it and lube it.

The advantage of the mini was initial cost... back when they could be had for less than 400 bucks. But now I don't see any advantage to them.

That is what I think. Good luck.

Love your neighbor as yourself. Do not take into account a wrong suffered. Never return evil for evil. Resist not the violent man. Turn the other cheek, go the second mile, give to him that asks.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Minis have always been a spray-and-pray deal past 100 yards... unless you buy one of the accurized ones. All things considered, I'd spend my money on an AR.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Seems to me that the piston system in a semi-auto AR used by civilians is a solution in search of a question. The military and full auto may be different.

I might consider it if it ever becomes standardized, but the thought of having a military style firearm that does not use easily available parts would concern me. Break a part in a gas impingement AR and literally hundreds of vendors will carry the replacement.

Flame on.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I may be one of the rare people that like both rifles.

The older model Ruger mini-14's where very inaccurate, The new one's are pretty good rifles. The last one I owned would shoot 1.5"-2" groups at 100yds all day long. Reliable and easy to carry are trade marks of the Mini-14. That said, if it had to be one or the other I would take an AR-15 over a Mini-14 any day of the week. The AR has the advantage of more product development than a Mini-14. The gas system on an AR-15 is a non existant problem and doesn't need replaced. It works beautifully and cleans itself. Carbon build up on the bolt is the only thing you'll need to clean besides regular maintanance. That said you'll need to clean and lube any rifle you buy.

Enjoy your AR-15.

Terry

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Guess I'll put the scope back on and head for the range this week.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I was not aware there had been a switch to piston systems for ARs. I must not have gotten the memo. So which one of the umpteen prioprietary non-interchangeable piston system is the winner and the holy grail of the AR-15 switches?

Do I have to send in my ARs to get them switched? Is so, where or can I buy standard parts to do it myself, like I do everything else on my rifles?

But seriously, if this is what's keeping you from enjoying your AR, put your mind at rest. Learn the AR system, learn how to clean it and maintain it, (it's very easy) and go out and shoot it. And then be thankful it's not a Mini-14. While it is a decent plinker, it is not what I would qualify as a rifle, far too inaccurate.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd keep the AR. I have had 3 mini's; I still have one, mostly for nostalgia's sake. They are ultra reliable with factory magazines, but iffy with aftermarket. Factory magazines are expensive compared to AR mags. Their accuracy in the older factory original condition is mediocre at best. The tube in older versions has a 1/12 twist, which makes using any ammo with bullets heavier than 60 grains problematic. Their ergonomics are not as good as the AR, but if you're familiar with the M1A/M14 they are very similar. They cost almost as much as a good AR. As was mentioned earlier, the logistics of owning an AR compared to a Mini make much more sense, with literally hundreds of vendors available for spare or aftermarket parts, and the ability to install them with a few simple tools. The Mini-not so much.

If I had to choose between them, I would go with the AR hands down. I most definitely would not trade my AR for one. Just my opinion, and I'm sure there are others who have different ones.

Last edited by mike762; 01/25/10.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have only owned two over the years and both would only shoot MOPlywood, good guns and functioned well but not for me. I have heard the new ones are fair shooters but why chance it.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got an old Mini-14 (180 prefix) and a couple good AR's. I like the mini, it's always been ultra reliable, has always shot everything fed it with no problems and little to no maintenance for years at a time. I find it an earier rifle to carry in the field than an AR. As most here have said, accuracy stinks.

My AR's are bughole accurate. They've always functioned well without an exessive amount of maintenance.

All in all, if I had to choose one over the other my choice would be the AR.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
The worst AR is better than the best mini IMHO.

As to carrying, I'm so used to the AR platform now that its second nature in my hands....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Keep the AR.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i would agree as well keep the ar, minis are fun to shoot if you not worried about hitting the same spot more than once, super reliable weapons they are, but as stated numerous time they shoot a pattern at a 100 not a group Ron

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You will never find any love for the Mini-14 platform here. There is an ingrained bias, fueled by internet myth that just won't go away.
I like my 188 Series rifle. It is accurate enough, +/- two inches at 100 yards. It is easily as reliable as an AR, if not more so, and will shoot any ammo you put through it.
I recently changed optics, and am using a Vortex Strikefire now. This is a decent sight, and although not an Aimpoint, and despite not using a LaRue mount, it functions fine.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sam

of course no love here.. your example is a point, 1-2 inches at 100 is about teh worst an AR would do, not the best. Plus I've never seen a failure to function thats not related to cleaning my gun every 500 rounds or so, yes mine run for 500 plus before they might be an issue.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Kel Tec SU-16 is cheaper and better than either, IMHO. At the very least, in terms of reliability.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
My Ars have never jammed on me once I have them broken in... Don't know how much more reliable one can get... until I forget to put powder or primer in a reload....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We had a mini ranch rifle for the cattle farm in northern MN and I couldn't keep the scope zero'd on the thing. Finally my dad told me to sell it.
A cheap AR, like a oly plinker, is far better than a mini. Tax protestors liked mini's though...

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sam, Darn nice looking mini. no complaints here on the strikeforce, I have one on an AR and it has done very well for its intended use and for the price and warranty offered.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW I love the look of the mini, as I love and have about 2 M1As in the safe... just isn't worth making it accurate enough to please me... I"m too anal I know. But I don't enjoy having anything that isn't accurate.

I sent a TC renegade 54 barrel back once... it shot 3-4 inches at 100, best I could do, they sent it back with a similar test target fired at 75 saying they found nothing wrong with a 3.5 inch group..... of course that barrel is a tomato stake to me.

Jeff

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,279
Posts18,486,792
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.