Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a S&B 4x36 fixed power scope, with a 1" tube. It is one of the two best scopes I've ever looked thru. It's size is just right for a fixed 4x.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tomk
Cant speak about the Zeiss.But the old S&B 4a I had covered .68 on the thin part of the reticle at 100 yards.That always seemed to be just about double what I saw on the Swar PHs I looked at.
.68 looks ever so good on a deers chest at 400 yards.
TCS will kill your ability to make low light/twilight shots because you cant make out your aim point.It'll get dark enough that you just cant see it.
The advantage of the Flash Dot is, it doesn't matter how dark it gets.You always have an aim point.The Flash Dot is also great for running shots in broad daylight.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the reply, I was afraid that you were inferring something to the low light potential of the glass itself, rather than just better reticle clarity.

Dave, I assure you that I have been in the darkest of situations--with the right scope and the right electric-free reticle I can make the shot as long as I can still see thru the glass....

My concern over forking over the dough for a Summit, is that its a second plane and the #7 reticle looks like it has fairly narrow heavy posts like the Swaro.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

This is my light carry mountain rifle...built by GA Precision. Topped with a 10X42 S&B PMII. It weighs right at 7 pounds right now. I have a pair of Talley LW rings in 30mm on the way. That will lighten it up another 4 to 5 ounces.

That scope is bomb proof and gives me the option of shooting long if I need to.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Bear I shot last spring with the above rifle at 575 meters...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
tom: My Summit has the Duplex,and it is thin at center....but I have had it at our range a few times at last light;and I can't seem to lose the reticle against dark woods,last light.

That said maybe it may be too thin for you....I dunno.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To me, there is not a better scope on the planet than a S&B!!

I have tried Zeiss, US Optics, Leupold, Kahles and Swarovski scopes - they have all been sold and I will only us S&B scopes from here on out. I have 6 S&B scopes to date and never had a mechanical failure with any of them. They are as good as it gets!!

Here's a couple on my rifles:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 300MAG; 01/16/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tomk
My concern over forking over the dough for a Summit, is that its a second plane and the #7 reticle looks like it has fairly narrow heavy posts like the Swaro.

The SFP is the Summit killer for me,I dought Ill ever own one.To many good FFP hunting scopes around.
.....My Flash Dot has been excellant.
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For those of you who are not yet true believers there is an article in the September 2009 American Hunter about the S & B Classic 2.5-10x56 scope. The author calls it the "Scope of Scopes", and explains the reasons why.

I have this very scope and it is indeed superb.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
scenarshooter 300MAG
Very nice.
[Linked Image]
dave

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mrmarklin,
Been toying with the idea of a 2.5-10x56 Flash Dot.Or a fixed 8x56 with the PH knob and a lit reticle.
I cant make up my mind.
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
..... my light carry mountain rifle...built by GA Precision. Topped with a 10X42 S&B PMII. It weighs right at 7 pounds right now. I have a pair of Talley LW rings in 30mm on the way. That will lighten it up another 4 to 5 ounces.

If you dont mind.What are the specs of the rest of the rifle?
dave

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah Bob, I like the #4 Euro style.

If the light gets low enough you eventually lose the crosshairs, but by then you aren't shooting much for distance anyway...:) If the three heavy posts are thick enough they give you plenty of guidance...provided their ends terminate close enough to one another. To me, in very low light, the two horizontal posts flow together into one and you use the vertical post for centering the shot.

No doubt good electronics would help clarify but that is just another gadget too far for me.

Too bad that #1 isn't isn't available in the Summit. I emailed S&B and asked for the subtensions--the #9 posts looks heavier on their webpage than the #7 & 8--kinda of a weird reticle--but heavier posts.

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah, it is getting right in the price range of the Zeiss and heavier by an ounce to boot.

Damn choices.

Defend the Constitution
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Dave, this is getting off the track of the original post.
Just cause you've never heard of a similar incident doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Why didn't I send it back, as in my previous post cause S&B wouldn't accept it as defective, I still have the receipts for the upgrade to the Zenith ocular from the factory.
As to the older S&B having the edge over the PH Swaro, not in my experience.
Back to the original post, for around a third of the money, I'd give serious consideration to the Kahles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm
mrmarklin,
Been toying with the idea of a 2.5-10x56 Flash Dot.Or a fixed 8x56 with the PH knob and a lit reticle.
I cant make up my mind.
dave

Dave,

Out of interest, have a look at the Swaro Z6 range with the illuminated reticule. It is by far the best illuminated reticule I have ever seen..Its only a shame those scopes are all SFP :-( otherwise I would own one in a heartbeat..

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pete E
Will do.
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dave7mm
scenarshooter 300MAG
Very nice.
[Linked Image]
dave

I remember that deer (picture taken in my back yard) laugh

Dave, did you gut that one or did I gut that one?

Don

Speed Kills - With the right bullet.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The cons of S&B are price and weight, otherwise they are superb.

A few friends have 2.5x10x56 S&B's, I think the youngest of them is about 10 years old. I have a swarovski PV 2.5x10x56 rail mount that is about a year old, my swarovski is brighter to my eyes than any of the S&B's, but I haven't looked through a new S&B so it may just be the age issue.

I really don't think you'll go wrong with a S&B, swarovski, or high end Zeiss. I think the new one's from any of these three makers would all be about equal in optics and toughness. The schmidt will be a bit heavier.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
The hardest thing to accept about a S&B(+the other Ultra premiums) is that there is a visible difference in resolution.

Is it twice as good as a scope half the price? No. Is it immediately discernible under all conditions? No, but, once you become used to it, most every other scope just doesn't look "right". Therein lies the "big problem".

The second "problem" in regard to the variable power big game scopes is once you get used to the FFP reticle situation you very well may distain second focal plane scopes altogether.

In a nutshell, the size of the "problem" is directly inverse to the thickness of your wallet.

My circa 1999 1.5-6x42, magnum eyepiece/ cammed elevation turret, and #4 reticle.
[Linked Image]

"If I'm already on my way down
I might as well just work the crowd"

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,286
Posts18,486,887
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.