-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My son owns a SAA made by Uberti. It has shot severely to the left since new. I looked closely and noted that the front sight was positioned with a right cant to it. A friend said that the front sight could be bent to correct this. I placed the sight in an aluminum jawed vise and centered the sight. It shot to the center of the target but then found the sight loose in the groove. How is the sight retained and can it be tightened? The gun is nickeled.
Nathan

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know anything about plating but have seen enough chrome flake off shiny old bumpers from a little doink to be very cautious of using any amount of force around plating. Expert with experience with nickel plated barrels time.

This in light of previous thread on adjusting the dovetail on a barrel.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I suspect your sight is press fitted into a slot in the barrel. Your "adjustment" loosedned that fit. It can be tightened as follows: Make sure the slot is clean by flushing the joint as well as you can with a degreaser like aerosol brake cleaner. let it dry overnight so that all the solvent can escape. Fix the sight upright in the desired position with tape or a clamp, etc. Flood the slot/sight joint with Loctite 290. It is a very thin liquid which will be sucked into the joint by capillary action, filling all the air space available. It will harden overnight in the joint and will lock the sight in position. The exposed liquid on the surface will remain liquid and can be wiped away the next day. You can get Loctite 290 at many auto parts stores. It is billed as a threadlocker that will lock assembeled nuts and bolts. There are other brands out there that offer essentially the same product, but I don't recall their names.

RAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the front sight blade is soldered into a slot in the barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the front sight blade is was soldered into a slot in the barrel.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by like2shoot
the front sight blade is was soldered into a slot in the barrel.

thanks for the correction.....

I had the same thing happen to mine.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Cleaned slot with LPS degreaser/cleaner (tricloroethylene1.1.1) and compressed air without removing blade. supported in level attitude and applied Loctite 290 around blade while moving blade side to side (blade was only slightly loose and would not pull out by hand). Left to sit with blade in corrected position. After 15 minutes wiped away excess. Blade tight after allowing to cure overnight. No damage to plating. Thanks RAN.
Nathan

Last edited by Wingsandthings; 01/26/10.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1Akshooter, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,875
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.