Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Seems like the new Toys ain't so good, or are even dangerous. Glad I don't have any (I hope) stock in them. This is pretty much admitting the quick development of computer aided driving screwed up. The value of used Toys should also drop to a more realistic level, so much for "name value". Also, they have egg on their face with the floor mat BS, and replacing faulty throttles with the same.

My workmate has a Tacoma, so far he hasn't said anything about being recalled.

I will have to watch the rear view closer now when on the road.

As for Toys in general; the last engine I really admired was the 22R.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

What are talking about?.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
On the news tonight.

Steve

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Stop building 8 of their vehicles until they can get this accelerator problem figured out. Toyo has become Recall Inc.

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Ford and Chevy have never done major recalls?

Last edited by elelbean; 01/26/10.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hope my Honda drive-by-wire continues to work.

They keep making these cars like fighter jets we will have to have ejection seats.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've got a 81 long bed 4wd with a 22R and it still runs like a top. I just use it for the logging roads on my acreage, but it will nearly climb a tree. Six years ago. I let my then 12 yr old son do a camoflage spray paint job on it. We actually had several rednecks around here ask how much we would charge to paint their old trucks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've a 99 taco, the missus an 07

I'd be hard pressed to trade her.

while hers is prettier am thinkin there was a Dodge in the woodpile at sometime

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
can anybody remember Audi and what happened to them when theirs had a mind of their own?

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anything mechanical can have problems. The issue isn't trouble-free operation, but rather how generous Toyota's repair policy is and how fast they are with the turn-around. Isn't that how we look at and rate these types of things? wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Got a manual shift on the Corolla so I ain't worried about it running away (got a clutch to disengage for those that forgot).

I do notice the fly-by-wire throttle, and sometimes its a PITA when running out into traffic stepping hard on the gas.

Biggest problem is its due for a service, (warranty and all that) I dunno if we will be able to even get close to the service dept right now.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
none of the repair parts are at the dealerships yet. So warranty work won't be a problem yet. Toyota is doing something that no other auto maker has ever done, stop selling cars that might have a problem. This was a voluntary stop selling by the company. No goverment mandate or transpartation board demand.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tacoma isnt part of this recall,they have a separate one.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I won't let my wife drive the Tundra until they figure this out. I can only imagine that thing getting stuck at full throttle and her panicking and just riding it out. She don't like it, but it's the old car for her right now.

I can remember dad teaching me to drive the old chevy caprice. "If the gas pedal gets stuck, just stomp it a few times and it will get unstuck." Those were the days.

Last edited by Wevil; 01/27/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How hard is it to simply reach down and turn the car off if it starts to go crazy? Or does this not work with this particular problem?

Me

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by teal
How hard is it to simply reach down and turn the car off if it starts to go crazy? Or does this not work with this particular problem?

Not hard, but you lose power steering and brakes. They recommend you shift into neutral and blow the engine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wevil
Originally Posted by teal

Not hard, but you lose power steering and brakes. They recommend you shift into neutral and blow the engine.

I had this happen on an F-150 when the problem really was the floor matt. I had no idea WTF but was headed down the highway and the truck took off like a raped ape. I put it in neutral. You can't really blow the engine because they have rev limiters but it's not a helluva a lot of fun and if you have ever been in that position it's not hard to understand how it can turn fatal real quick. IIR I couldn't turn it off. I'd wager there's a "safety" switch that only lets you shut er down in park.
Any one buying Toyota stock today?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Audi's rep was essentially destroyed in this country for 20 years over a similar issue. People, especially those that generally buy Toyotas (read soccer moms and chicks) tend to be funny about the thought of a car taking off on it's own.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You haven't lived until you've had the throttle jam wide open on a car that has some balls blush Was road testing a 560SL and, ahem, "merging" onto the interstate. Found out later that the car had broken motor mounts which allowed the motor to lift under hard acceleration that kept the throttle linkage taut. Traffic was a little backed up on the interstate. I found the ignition switch pretty quick laugh........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

i think the real problem is that toyota still didn't figure out the cause of the problem. they began talking about the floor mats as the cause, but i don't believe that was a true issue here.

they can't fix it if they don't know what's wrong.

-ken

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,027 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,618
Posts18,533,005
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.