Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ditto here Okanagan...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by ingwe
I'm not gonna look at it but, but from your description, I wouldn't do that to a Norway Rat...let alone a gorgeous creature like a coyote...

So in my case I guess the answer is "yes"...sporting rules apply to coyotes..decency is decency...
Ingwe

+ 1

An exception for me is when I'm not sport hunting coyotes but merely trying to eliminate a problem. I will do all that I can to make a quick kill, but if the coyote is raiding farm stock, etc. I won't pass on a poor shot that I would otherwise. Personal ethics call. YMMV. Along that line, I don't shoot coyotes unless I want the hide and will skin it, or am eliminating specfic nuisance coyotes.

Ditto.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Glo..,

A few years ago I talked with a professional government hunter (Dept. of Agr.) who spoke of "putting one into them" whenever you got a chance - good shot or bad - just put a mark on them. I mentioned that didn't sound very sporting.

He reasoned coyotes are destructive as hell, eat their prey alive, and there wouldn't be a sheep in westbuhgawd if it weren't for professional hunters killing them by any means possible. He had a very cool .223 with a supressor about 2ft long. They used cyanide traps as well.

He may be correct. I'd never intentionally put a bad shot on anything or allow it to linger. Put some things probably just need to be killed.

O

Too old to suffer fools
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
If a coyote could shoot a gun it'd probably put it's prey down as quickly as possible.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Coyote would do whatever it needed to do to eat. They don't rationalize things nor worry about "feelings" - animals aren't capable of sentient thought.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
R
Okanagan said it best. Could not agree more.

Rick
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Coyotes are impressive animals, but they cost my family several thousand dollars a year in calves. I'm all for making one-shot kills, but at the same time I won't hesitate to shoot one running. If a coyote is wounded and can't run off, a quick headshot is in order.If he's gut-shot and disappears in the pasture, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Same goes for feral hogs. They destroy at least a couple hundred acres of cultivated fields each year. If I have the opportunity, lead will fly at them

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very interesting thread. Coyotes particularly arouse quite a range of emotion and sentiment. I am somewhere between the extremes. I wouldn't hesitate to use an electric call for coyotes. (I do on a regular basis.) However, should we (hunters) be allowed to use electronics on elk or ducks? Definitely not. I take coyotes of opportunity at times and would not hesitate to take a sleeping coyote. (If you're good enough to get that close to one without waking it, more power to ya'!) I hate to se a pelt go to waste and I'll take them to the fur buyer when it isn't worth the fuel to do so. I hate to see people handle even dead coyotes with disrespect throwing them around like so much rubish. I don't hunt coyotes to save game. I hunt them because they are a challenging quarry (sp?). Is each side of this debate legitimate? Probably so and therefore it will live on forever and give us something to do at the computer when the snow is too crunchy to go calling anyway!

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I think why coyotes arouse a sense of sentiment in some is that they remind some of dogs, and of course most wouldn't treat a dog with disrespect and pump one full of holes, especially a dead one.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I often wonder why the anti's veiw us as a pack of cold hearted killers. It is because idiots post videos like this. I dislike coyotes as much as the next guy, and that was by far one of the stupidest things ive seen. Not to mention they cant shoot a pistol worth a darn. Its people like this that deserve a good ass whipin

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
IMHO sporting rules should apply to anything you're hunting... unless it's actively trying to eat you or is caught in the act of planting an IED.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by CAMONICK
I often wonder why the anti's veiw us as a pack of cold hearted killers. It is because idiots post videos like this.

That's exactly what it is... videos like that simply provide ammunition for anyone gunning to take away our rights to own firearms and hunt. They likely won't ever see you or I hunt and all that we cherish about that right, but they may sure see a youtube video of some idiots going overkill on a dead coyote like kids who abuse small animals.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Glocked_N_Loaded, let me try and understand what you describe, hunters shoot a coyote and the shot does not kill the coyote outright. The hunters try and finish off the coyote with a pistol, but either miss or the ammo is ineffective in killing the animal quickly. Camera man, has to finish off the coyote.

Where is the problem?

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I didn't watch the video and don't plan on it. But my personal practicing is that it is a living creature and deserves a quick and clean kill. I'm getting ridiculed by a so called friend for not taking a shot on two coyotes sunday at the 400 yard mark. I know theres guys on here that shoot them further than that, but I was not comfortable taking the shot do to it being a new rifle that I'm not familiar with enough to suit to my liking. Had I had my 7Rm and I would have taken the shot. I know how that shoots at 400 yards, but I don't hunt yotes with that.

It's a shame we have people out there that obtain a hunting license and behave the way that they do. I consider myself lucky having been raised in a hunting family and taught hunting ethics since I was a young lad. It's a few like this that give us all a bad name and fuel the fire for the anti crowd.

Nothing like a fine shotgun and a good bird dog.
Franchi Veloce O/U, 7Rm and Orvis rod.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ranger1
Coyote would do whatever it needed to do to eat. They don't rationalize things nor worry about "feelings" - animals aren't capable of sentient thought.

You�re very right about this! Since most of us were raised on Walt Disney's anthropomorphism it is easy to get confused about it. Even when a pack of coyotes rip into multiple calves or lambs, leaving them alive with guts trailing them, all the coyotes really wanted to do was eat.

I have killed coyotes every way possible with sportsmanship not being part of the equation. But I have never intentionally injured one or not done my best to dispatch it quickly and as humanely as possible. To me that is part of the responsibility that God gave us when he granted us dominion over the animals.

I also have to agree with the others that a video of our failures posted for the world to see doesn�t do anyone any good.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i look to kill them as quickly as possible.....however they are a varmint and not a big game animal so i will do whatever i need to do to get that shot.....out a truck or living room window......use a spotlight.....do every sneaky and underhanded thing i need to do to get a shot at one.......but i do want that first shot to kill the SOB.....tactics used to get the shot may be different from big game but i still want to put the SOB down with as lil fuss and as few bullets as possible.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
B
I say yes, no animal deserves to suffer. How ever if you watch the coyote hunts done by the so called professionals they rarely kill it in one shot and their dogs attack it till it dies. I dont see letting any animal suffer for amusment and your not a sportsman if you do.

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I gotta agree with rattler I shot plenty of coyotes out the skinnin shack window with a spot light and never felt the least bit of guilt. If someone a had filmed me dispatching trapped coyotes back when I was trapping you'd be tsk tsking about me... Those guys are guily of piss poor pistol marksmanship and bad taste as far as posting the video goes and shooting a dead thing but don't get yer panties in a knot...

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
shotem all, what are you talking about? Professionals with dogs that attack coyotes? Did I miss something? I agree with your sentiment about not wanting an animal to suffer, I'm just wondering where the rest of your comment is coming from.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Glocked_N_Loaded: Which part did YOU find "non-sporting and tasteless" the way the creature was killt or the fact that the video of the killing was posted on "youtube"?
Or, both?
From your description of events I find them both inappropriate!
I personally kill 4,000 to 6,000 animals and Varmints a year which is more animals and Varmints than 98% of all "Hunters" take.
Even at this level of "harvest" I try to cleanly and quickly dispatch every one of them.
I often photgraph some of these kills/trophies but I most often keep those reminders of my Hunts to myself!
I don't condemn others who photograph and/or video their Hunts and harvests (kills!) but if your description of events is accurate regarding the youtube scenario then I do condemn that.
All the while I realize that MY condemnation does not get to curtail or effect in any way, other peoples conduct.
Send the folks involved an E-mail and ask them to remove their video because it offends you - that would not hurt.
Keep in mind that Coyotes in my area are killed in a variety of ways that do not seem "sporting" to me but the fact that the Coyotes are controlled DOES have many benefits!
This alleviates somewhat MY concerns about these less than "sporting" methods.
By the way these "methods" I shy from include shooting them from airplanes, shooting them from ultra-light single person aircraft, shooting them from helicopters, poisoning them, gassing their dens in pup season, drowning them in their dens, running them down and over with snowmachines and breaking them down then the snowmobilers return and shoot them with pistols, "coursing" them with ultra speedy domestic dogs that bite the Coyotes to death, trapping the Coyotes, snaring the Coyotes and on and on!
I even saw on TV some folks using Eagles to break down/kill Coyotes.
Again my hesitancy in outright condemning these listed methods of CONTROLLING Coyote populations is exactly because the outcome is so beneficial to other wildlife and domestic animals.
Good luck in getting the youtube video pulled I think that would be a worthy thing to try.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.