-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
we ate some old dark brown packed ones on our last camp out. They had to be better than 20 years old.
Tasted great.

Sam......

GB1

rnr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by elkhunter76

+1 on these guys.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
rnr #3728828 01/27/10
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I thought they had a half-life of something like 600 years! Kinda like fruitcake & twinkies.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem with MRE's is when they come close to expiring, you're eventually going to have to sit down and eat them. We get snowed in here pretty regularly, and have lost power for 2-3 weeks after some Winter storms. All our houses have well stocked root cellars. Gallons of water, cases of soups, bottles of pasta sauce, dry pasta, beans, rice... Stuff lasts for years, and if the disaster doesn't come, you can still eat it. Everybody here goes out for bread and milk when a storm is coming. How long is that going to last? We've got dry goods, canned food, bottled water, Coleman stoves and fuel, Honda generators and fuel, wood piles outside... We get storms often enough, it's just part of life.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rob p
The problem with MRE's is when they come close to expiring, you're eventually going to have to sit down and eat them. We get snowed in here pretty regularly, and have lost power for 2-3 weeks after some Winter storms. All our houses have well stocked root cellars. Gallons of water, cases of soups, bottles of pasta sauce, dry pasta, beans, rice... Stuff lasts for years, and if the disaster doesn't come, you can still eat it. Everybody here goes out for bread and milk when a storm is coming. How long is that going to last? We've got dry goods, canned food, bottled water, Coleman stoves and fuel, Honda generators and fuel, wood piles outside... We get storms often enough, it's just part of life.

We handle hurricane readiness much the same way in the Lee clan, If I never see another MRE or C-RAT it will be too soon!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Haven't ordered from this place, but the price looks good depending on shipping. http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/00231.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used these folks and found them reasonable. Of course the the shipping to Alaska can cripple you, but the products are good.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've used these guys. If I remember correctly, I got free shipping on two cases. The food is good, too...

I got the "A" pack...

http://www.readymeal.com/

Last edited by chadwimc; 01/28/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you can use them to make interesting things too, like a bunch of the little tabasco bottles dumped onto a heating packet, makes a nice little eye/nose burn for anyone caught in its vicinity, use in confined areas for more effectiveness smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My nephew was in the Army about 15 years ago and he gave me a MRE when he got out. I kept it for awhile and then he said it had a shelf life and I should pitch it so I threw it out, depriving me of the joy of eating a MRE. He said they were pretty bad and the guys in his unit, 1st Cav, called them Meals Refused by Ethiopians or Meals Refusing to Exit.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jocko, when that's all you have, it's the best there is!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few months after any disaster in the US Ebay is a good source. I know after Ike/Rita/Katrina there were thousands of boxes of US Military MRE's for sale pretty cheap.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Glenn Beck advertises for Food Insurance on his show, looks like it might be good stuff.

Heh if you go to their site they have a map you mouse over to see what the biggest disaster danger is for your area....Living here sucks we have the longest list of any region in the US lol.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

That map does not show volcanic eruptions nor tsunami for my area.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That map is somewhat irrelevant. Some of the regions encompass states, and even various parts of individual states, that have very different disaster profiles.

One example: The states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Texas are grouped together and the disasters listed for the region include hurricanes, winter storms, and floods. People in NM and the Texas Panhandle don't have to worry about hurricanes, people on the Gulf coast (e.g., New Orleans, Houston, Corpus Christi) don't have to worry about winter storms, and people in various parts of the regions don't really have to worry about flooding for various reasons.

Somebody would be just as well off to look at the full list of potential disasters for the entire country and decide what applied to their area.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That map is somewhat irrelevant.

That's kinda what I was going for? smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What is the advantage of MREs over real food storage like canned and dry goods?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MRE's aren't really that bad cold, hell, I have 4 cases in my utility room, the trick is to keep them at 70 degrees or lower, they are still good past their best if used by date. Some of the meals are downright good now. Ya gotta remember an MRE is 3000 calories per meal, you can easily survive off one a day. Can't do that with canned food. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 52 invisible), 3,340 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,770
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.