Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've always heard never wear black, red, blue, or white during turkey season. Never wear tan or gray during deer season.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Do these pants make my butt look big? Nope, your big azz makes the pants look too small!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I wear black sometimes. It warms up or dries out faster than anything else. If I'm worried about other hunters, it's pretty simple to slip a blaze orange vest over it.
Alot of my rain gear and my hi tech, mountaineering pants are black. Nice to be able to warm up or dry out when you are way back in there, especially if you are back packing. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reminds me of one time when we were headed out hunting and I overheard a guy telling his son that it was okay to wear orange when deer hunting since deer only saw in black and white. The boy said, "we better not take your truck then, cause it is black". I suppose a red truck would have been invisible. (grin)

The guy looked at us and said, "I've always wondered about that boy....."

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I tried wearing a black fleece while bowhunting from a tree stand this year. Thought it would warm up faster when the sun came up and thought maybe I blend in more in that first half hour of shooting light before sunup. A buddy sitting a quarter of a mile away said it stuck out like a sore thumb, I put on my regular camo and he said I disappeared.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Black is good camo if you hunt all night from your treestand...grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't want to be anywhere near any butt, especially mine!!

I do have a very good and very heavy black wool shirt for elk hunting in the real cold. I never really considered any possible problems with black clothing, but example of a stand out tree hunter does make sense. And now that I think about it, a hunting partner has a pair of heavy wool black pants that are real standouts in the elk woods, especially in snowy conditions.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have black wool pants for those cooler days of hunting.

Figured it blended well with those pine trees whose bark was black when undergrowth was burned.

Never noticed an impediment to success in all sorts of territory though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I once had a boss who often wore a black bra under a see-through white blouse. Does that count?

Jeff

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The best way to go is match the color of your camo to the environment you plan to hunt in. If you have that kind of money... The military did studies on which solid color was the best for concealment in most environments eons ago. That's how the color battleship gray came about I believe. Just think about how well deer blend in with their surroundings and they are primarily gray in color with brown mixed in.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ever done any dog walking after dark? A black lab is FAR easier to see in the dark than a yellow lab. The night is seldom completely black. The black dog is blacker than the night so it actually shows up. A yellow blends in and disappears.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never looked thru a deer's eyes, but I would imagine that any dark contrasting shade will get their attention rather quickly.

Imagine you are hunting and day is just breaking, you can see no colors, just shades of grey.

Your eye will immediately pick up on the darker objects of your surroundings.

If deer do see in shades of grey, silhouetting yourself by wearing a dark shade against a natural background may not be the way to go.

Any color that has no variation in shade or pattern will probably make you stand out.

I have never hunted bears, so I don't know how they might percieve you.

Just my opinion,

JM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JM, I had a bear come by me in the pre-dawn last year, and it was a very noticeable, dark blob. He went on his way, and I was able to watch it for a surprising amount of time, using mostly perephial vision. Though not distinct like during the daytime, it was very recognizable for what it was.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know it is much easier for me to pick up on a dark hog earlier in the morning than a deer.

Best,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most ninja hunters I hear of all went back to black.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes that was it no black because of bear.you could be mistaken for one.When istarted hunting in the 50s late it was, green an black,red an black then in middle 60 just red. In late 60 a bright orange came out by monkey wards.then this new orange

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
An all or mostly "black" Black Bear is the blackest black one will ever see.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Where I sheep hunt most predators are dark colored. Moving dark objects are easy to spot.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 160user, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.