Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, and I think it's short sighted to pass on a magazine simply because a writer isn't on staff anymore. You can follow that individual to his next assignment, but I wouldn't write off the publication he left. There are other writers that have something to contribute.

From time to time, we carp about magazines not holding to a higher level of quality. All pubs seem to ebb and flow. In my experience, it's rare that any magazine will hold my interest with every issue. Even my favourite writers will have an article or two that does not interest me. That's life.

Remember when there weren't as many mags around and we didn't have the Internets? We'd impatiently wait for "Jugs and Guns Monthly" to hit the shelves, then be all over it like a kid on a banana split?

These days, we have the luxury of picking and choosing. We're spoiled. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I currently read,

Shooting times,
outdoor life
field and stream,
guns and ammo
american rifleman
gun tests
North American Hunter

While not all of them are strictly gun magazines, they all have articles of interest. I like Craig Boddington.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The real problem is after umpteen years of reading all those gun rags, you wake up one day and realize that you have been reading the same article over and over again for the past 10 years, just in a different suit of clothes...But,I suppose this aplies to about any subject magazine. They have run out of stuff to write and they have to write to the generation coming up..Even at that I am sure that one can glean an article or perhaps two out of every magazine that will catch his interest, but it seems today there is a lot of misinformation out there, especially in the hunting world, mostly formed from what somebody told them or from isolated experiences.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Seeing the same subjects published over and over is a sign that you're aging. smile

The Internets seems to spread misinformation at mach speed. It's nice to have more sources, but you have to be careful.Years ago, if you said something silly, it took awhile before you were called on it. Now, it spreads at the speed of light.

Because there are new hunters and shooters, the articles have to be repeated. It could be cheaper in the long run not to get a subscription. You might be better off picking and choosing which magazines and issues to buy.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
US mags: Rifle, Successful Hunter, Sports Afield.
Canadian mags include:
Alberta Outdoorsmen ( I write a fly tying column there)
Outdoor Edge
Western Sportsman
Canadian Firearms Journal

Plus a bunch of flyfishing/tying mags and a couple of conservation pubs

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Everybody should be getting from the National Rifle Association - whether it gets read closely or not.

I've got an almost complete set of Handloader - the very most recent issues are digital and most of Rifle and I find more that's new to me in back issues I read before than current issues - and I'd be inclined to excuse Dave Wolfe and use the name of the current ownership d/b/a. I don't know that Krause is doing as good a job with Gun Digest as was once the case but the glossy all color is nice.

I'm astounded to see no mention of Precision Shooting and also some of the short lived magazines of the past. Likely most folks here are really more into exotic hunting or hunting exotics than true rifle loonies and that will impact reading choices.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My guess is the reason so many of us are weary of gunzines is because we've all read the writtings of Lee24 and now we know all there is to know about everything.

O

Too old to suffer fools
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My subscriptions are:
Outdoor life
Field and stream,
Guns and Ammo
American Rifleman
Gun Dog
Predator Xtreme

I enjoy them all. I just started getting Predator Xtreme--pretty cool

Nothing like a fine shotgun and a good bird dog.
Franchi Veloce O/U, 7Rm and Orvis rod.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atkinson
The real problem is after umpteen years of reading all those gun rags, you wake up one day and realize that you have been reading the same article over and over again for the past 10 years, just in a different suit of clothes...But,I suppose this aplies to about any subject magazine. They have run out of stuff to write and they have to write to the generation coming up..Even at that I am sure that one can glean an article or perhaps two out of every magazine that will catch his interest, but it seems today there is a lot of misinformation out there, especially in the hunting world, mostly formed from what somebody told them or from isolated experiences.

+1
This goes on in many sporting magazines. I used to subscribe to fly fishing mags but after a few years noted that the articles were recycled over and over again. Yeah I know I'm getting older and some things need to be restated for the sake of the newbies but the new "authors" have very limited experience and even less critical thinking (common sense?) and are printing a lot BS such as you need at least a 300 manglem of some sort to hunt mule deer.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I used to read all 3 Wolf publications but stopped after JB left. There are still a couple of other writers that I like but so far there have just not been many articles that I would fork over cash for. For me, JB's articles were worth the price of the magazine by itself because of how often I could relate to the article. So I have been putting my money into other hobbies and looking for new magazines.

Reputation is what others think they know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your Honor and outlive the bastards. Ariel Vorkosigan
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
After JB left, started recycling Rifles and Handloader thru the "Reading Room". Almost like the subscription never ran out! I did buy the last Legacy of Leverguns but the new issues just seem to rehash the same topics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atkinson

Or you read something and realize the author is telling you the exact opposite of what he wrote 10 years before, without explaining why...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Double Gun Journal
African Hunter
AR
All from Wolfe
G&A
Gun Tests
Gun Digest (ex Gun list)

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I quit buying any of them years ago when they went to 5 bucks a copy and then all that was in them was advertisements and pistols. Plus you had to have a 416 rigby with a 22 inch barrel and a $1200.00 scope on it to hunt 90 pound deer.
Just to much BS for me. i have not even looked at a gun magizine for over 15 years. don't miss them either. Hunting and reloading is much better enjoyable time spent.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Another vote for Sports Afield--have had most of the others for years and dropped them one by one except Handloader.

"Mama tried..."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 160user, 22kHornet, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,091
Posts18,501,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.