Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Can anyone give me a few good compound bow choices for a new bow hunter? Whitetail would be the primary target. Since NJ is shotgun only, I figured I'd rather give bow hunting a try instead of using a slug gun. I also think the season is a little longer.

Would a used bow be worth considering? I think a tree stand might be out of the question for me, how would that effect my chances with a bow?

Thanks for the help.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Spend some time shopping for a bow. Visit a few pro shops and shoot as many bows as you can. Your bow is a very personal tool so you need to make sure it fits you well. Don't worry about hunting on the ground. A good pop up blind works well. Hunting on the ground gives you the advantage of mobility.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
One thing I would like to point out is DON'T spend a lot of money on your first set-up. You may not like it and you will lose money when trying to sell it. Try buying a package bow set-up by Bowtech, Hoyt, etc. They usually run from $400-600 for the whole deal (except for arrows, targets, etc.) and they will sell faster to someone else wanting to try the sport.

Good Luck!

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Diamond makes resonable, new bows that shoot great. I started with a used one and had great success. keep it under 36" and have at least a 7" brace height. Shoot as many different ones as you can an try different shops. I'd start cheap and see if you like it (you will) then up grade in a year or two and keep that one as a backup bow.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
When someone asks what is a good bow for whatever reason it usually leads to a battle of brand loyalty. I would highly advise to shoot as many new and used bows to see what is the best feel for you. There is nothing wrong with used as long as you have someone with you that has some knowledge about bows.
Rick

R
R
I, too, am a newbie and I just purchased a Diamond Razor. I had a lot of advice to take in, but in the end I made my decision primarily because of the variability of the set up. The drawlength is adjustable from 19-29", and the poundage is adjustable from 30-60#. This will allow me to grow into it and then when I'm ready to move up, I will have a wider audience to sell it to. Of course, these ranges may not be big enough for dudes, but for me (a dudette) it is perfect--I'm loving it. smile Good luck and have fun!!

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
RioGal, that's great, I'm sure you are having a blast, nice bow.

I like a single cam with a big brace height just starting out. Brand isn't as important.

A used mathews switchback would be ideal.

For economy the pse stinger is a great starter bow.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 01/23/10.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
My recommendation is visit your local shops shoot the different bows and ensure you know what fits you properly. Then live within your budget. Most shops will work with you to ensure you are setup properly and within your budget. It will be tempting to buy used on-line but you are much more on your own at that point. If it isn't setup for "YOU" it will effect how you shoot and in the end most likely cost you more. Just my Opinion and NO I don't own a shop.

J
J
buy a bow that feels good to you.don't buy one that is to much weight,you are the one that has to live with it. also the smaller the brace height the faster the bow. but the mistakes are more noticable and usally noisier . a 7 inch brace height would be a good place to start off as a newbie.a bow must fir properly. if it does not you will develope bad habits trying adjust to an ill fitting bow.good luck.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With todays designer bows and absurd price levels you gotta wonder with the economy of the USA just how many people are buying new 700-800 dollar bows?

I was at the range/pro shop and shot a brand new Martin Firecat TR1. Just out of the box, set up and zeroed for the 20 yard indoor range.

Before I had 20 shots out of the bow, including the zero of the pins, I was touching arrows and knocking off the fletching! The bow is vibration free, shock free, and just about as quiet as any other bow I have shot.

My "go to" bow is my switchback XT, and this single cam Firecat was as smooth and solid as my Switchback. If I were in the market for a brand new bow and had both to shoot, It would be a tough choice until I saw the price. The Firecat was 400 brand new, While most new competitive bows from the big players are well over 650-700 bucks.

How does Martin make a bow this sweet almost 1/2 the price of anyone else? All I can figure is the lack of waste or more efficient manufacture of the riser. They make a 3 piece riser and then assemble them into a solid single piece unit after machining. That seems to save a whole pile of money in the lack of scrap?

The bow I shot is all black with carbon fiber limbs and a 65lb draw weight. Maxed on the scale was just a hair over 68 locked down. I was shooting it one turn off max at 64 lbs. The draw was far easier then the weight measured. It felt like is was under 60lbs due to the single cam draw curve. The draw stop is so solid it hit the wall like a rock.

After the experience with a fantastic bow, for this price, I simply don't know how some of their competition stays in business?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
L
L
leearchery.com..lots of Co's have used bows.but try test shootin at basspro shop or cabelas..c what type etc works for you first.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
huntersfriend.com

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,751
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.