Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
A bunch of posts here and on AR from late 2008 and early 2009 detailed quality problems, service problems, and nasty customer service personnel problems with this rifle. Barrel bands coming off when it was shot, bad headspace, etc. on this $3000 rifle.

Trouble is, I went and looked at one at the local emporium and it is the slickest looking thing I ever saw (almost). Better yet, it seems to weigh about 8 pounds, not a ton and a half like the CZ and a lot of others. I would really like one. About the only alternatives are the Model 70 Safari Express, which isn't released yet, and Ruger's .375 Ruger, and I'd prefer the H&H cartridge.

The guy at the gun store ordered 5 and has sold 4 quickly. He claims (based on other Kimbers) that his customers have gotten really good customer service, better than most other makers.

Does anyone know if Kimber has gotten their act together? Perhaps the poor reports were just startup pains.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
just wait for m70 of new or look for a post 64 al lot are on gun broker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A bad Kimber? hard to believe but I've only owned four.

The CZ is still the 375 H&H and since it's not a mountain rifle, the weight is hardly an issue.
Any pre 64 70 will cost a ton and has a horrible kicking stock, the push feeds were not much and the "new" one will no doubt cost more that a CZ and has that stupid new complex trigger.

700s also work well and are reasonably priced. Word on the street is that Savage will build you one as well. Brownings and SAKOs are also fine guns.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My opinnion on most of the high dollar mass produced so called custom rifles is that there sure are a lot of really good custom gunsmiths,many right out of school, that can build you such a better rifle for the same money and many for less if you search them out...I see a lot of plastic stocked rifles and laminated stock rifles out there bringing upwards of $10,000 and that tells me that W.C. Fields was right, there is a sucker born every minute and there are those who value everything by the amount they pay for it...

It just does not cost that much to build a composite rifle stock or a laminated stock, and the cost of a blank for either is zilch, they don't cost like a piece of exhibition Circasian walnut does, and even that is another story..the cost of walnut really varys from maker to maker and from distributor to distributor...Walk carefully among the giants is good advise.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've looked at a few of the Caprivi's...they are nice looking rifles,but for $3k a copy I'm looking for a pre 64 to restock,or a Classic to work over,or a great Mauser 98 even if they do end up costing more.

And any day of the week I would take a Whitworth Mauser 375H&H for a grand or so over a Caprivi.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/31/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Get a Ruger.

My Alaskan (375 Ruger) shoots great and was 1/3 the price.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Quality control aside, I would hate paying Kimber Caprivi money to get an action that looks like a Model 70 but when it comes out of the stock you have a Rem 700 including the washer recoil lug.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

The guy at the gun store ordered 5 and has sold 4 quickly. He claims (based on other Kimbers) that his customers have gotten really good customer service, better than most other makers.

Only ran one Caprivi through the shop so far...and it hasn't come back.....

That said, our experience has been "Kimber Roulette"....

When you pay $3000 for a rifle, you shouldn't need customer service...

JMHO....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
INDY......I would be patient and just wait on the model 70 Winchester period!!! You already know, it is the PH's dream to own such a rifle and it just doesn't get any better in working ability with all the bells & whistles factory installed.

I too saw a nice looking Kimber the other day in the gun-room of the store I do business. However, all of my big bore rifles are indeed model 70 Winchesters and I have never had a problem one with any of them from the day I took them out of the box.

I have turned a couple into other calibers and still have never had a problem with any of those rifles. Go with a track record, Winchester and you will still have a dime or two to spend on ice-cream later down the road.LOL

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah but you have not had one with the "new" trigger either.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Yeah but you have not had one with the "new" trigger either.

Have you tried one. It looks OK from the pictures but still no sear engagement adjustment.

From the drawing it looks basically like the old system but the sear no longer rests on the trigger piece. Will it take triggers like the Jewell or is the mounting changed....it looks as if it might take the aftermarket triggers for the older M70

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Tonk
INDY......I would be patient and just wait on the model 70 Winchester period!!!

And especially since the Kimber is a copy of the M70 and a cheap half copy at that.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I absolutely loved kimbers, their look was second to none. The French Walnut with ebony tip for some reason said buy me at every gun store I went to. I purchased the .300wsm, .270 wsm, .243 and the .375 H&H. All the guns but the .243 went back to the factory due to the wood contracting and expanding. Their customer service was great! As for the .375 this rifle is not floated, and therefor the expansion of the stock wasn't that critical. However, when I first reported my problem to Kimber they thought that the barrel should be floated and mine was not. After 6 weeks and a new barrel Kimber admitted to me that it was in fact not supposed to be floated. Nevertheless I got a new barrel with no explanation of why. A few months later with a box of sample loads from superior the best groups I could get where 2.5" at 100yds. Long story short I sold a gun that had been shot a total of 30 times for 2k and was happy to get rid of it. As for the rest of my kimbers I still have the .243 and a montana .204 the rest have been sold. I just dont have confidence in their product at that price range! I do think that they look good though.

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
CZ-USA is advertising they have a Express Rifle custom shop in Kansas City. I'd bet for the $3K or less someone could have a rifle built exactly how they want.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just curious -why wouldn't you consider a guaranteed accurate Sako 85 in one of their many permutations for about half the price? My 375H&H Sako 85 is the finest factory rifle I have ever owned - nothing else comes close.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
BCBrian

Which model 85? The Kodiak? Is the 85 really a "controled feed"? Similar to a Mauser type CF?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Just curious -why wouldn't you consider a guaranteed accurate Sako 85 in one of their many permutations for about half the price? My 375H&H Sako 85 is the finest factory rifle I have ever owned - nothing else comes close.

I think it is generally off the agenda because not the Mauser style exractor CRF bullshit.

Although I have always just loved M70 375 and have owned heaps of them the best 375s are the Sauer, HS Precision and Wby Mark V. The Mark V is a super reliable feeder and with the long magazine. The Sauer and HS Precision have the vertical stack in line feed and nothing beats that for reliability or smoothness.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking at a nice Stainess camo A Bolt for under a grand.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Mike378

Sako advertises it's model 85 Kodiak as a CRF rifle. That's why I'm asking BCBrian about it. I appreciate CRF for dangerous game rifles. But only one my four rifles, a 30/06 Mauser, has that feature.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It is totally "controlled-round feed".

Upside down, right-side up, left-side up and upside-up.

Not only is the feed totally controlled - it's slicker than goose you-know-what. So's the trigger.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It is CRF but with the PF type extractor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a Wby Mk V in .373 H&H "a bunch". Never even hiccuped! I would not hesitate to carry it in any situation (and I am a died in the wool Model 70 man).

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Although 375 H&H is not normally associated with the Mark V they sell plenty and especially custom shop guns.

I have had heaps of 375s over the years and am now looking to get a pair at higher level that will probably see me out and Kimber Caprivi and Talkeetna make for a nice package but I think it will be Wby Custom Shop but the Kimbers are certainly a better price deal.

If Kimber 375s are as good as promoted and how they look it would be hard to a M70 the same without a lot of mucking about and a fair cost unless starting with cheap used M70 375s.

I have also been wonder about the latest Remington Custom Shop guns. They are Kimber Caprivi price but plastic or laminated stocks so in reality quite a bit dearer.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No, it has it's own - much copied - "Sako" type of extractor.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tonk
INDY......I would be patient and just wait on the model 70 Winchester period!!! You already know, it is the PH's dream to own such a rifle and it just doesn't get any better in working ability with all the bells & whistles factory installed.

..... However, all of my big bore rifles are indeed model 70 Winchesters and I have never had a problem one with any of them from the day I took them out of the box.

I have turned a couple into other calibers and still have never had a problem with any of those rifles. Go with a track record, Winchester and you will still have a dime or two to spend on ice-cream later down the road.LOL

That about sez it all as far as I'm concerned.... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hate to say it but CRF is just gunwriter bullshit unless you plan to shoot dirty ammo in a nasty chamber on a regular basis.
There are a lot of push feed 375s, 416s and 458s running around in Alaska and Africa and I have yet to read any documented story of a PH getting wiped out because he had a push feed rifle.
Cartridge design has a lot more to do with feeding right than the bolt face. That is why the ancient 300 & 375 H&Hs are still the most reliable feeder magnums made regardless of its being in a 700/721 or M70. The new 400 H&H follows the same design and I have yet to have one fall out of my 700 400 H&H or fail to feed or extract. Only wish I were young and rich so I could go on Cape Buffalo safari with it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[quote=oldman1942]I hate to say it but CRF is just gunwriter bullshit unless you plan to shoot dirty ammo in a nasty chamber on a regular basis.
There are a lot of push feed 375s, 416s and 458s running around in Alaska and Africa and I have yet to read any documented story of a PH getting wiped out because he had a push feed rifle.
Cartridge design has a lot more to do with feeding right than the bolt face. That is why the ancient 300 & 375 H&Hs are still the most reliable feeder magnums made regardless of its being in a 700/721 or M70. The new 400 H&H follows the same design and I have yet to have one fall out of my 700 400 H&H or fail to feed or extract. Only wish I were young and rich so I could go on Cape Buffalo safari with it.

[Linked Image] [/quote

Really? How many PHs do you know that use 700s? Or better yet, why do the overwhelming majority of their bolt actions are CRFs? Full disclosure I hunt with a PF for the most part, but it's a Weatherby. Please post specifics. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I hate to say it but CRF is just gunwriter bullshit unless you plan to shoot dirty ammo in a nasty chamber on a regular basis.

Maybe because I am Australian and did a lot of early shooting with M17s both in 30/06 and rebarreled to 270 and with crappy brass or ammo, I regard CRF as quite unreliable. You can spend all day having the extractor tension and clearance correct but is then totally dependent on the ammo condition and dimension.

I remember many years ago spotlight shooting and with a Pre 64 270 and PF M70 in 270. The ammo was reloaded rough with a straight line tool and primers were protruding. The Pre 64 was finished. Of course you say the ammo should be checked but any Australian will tell you that won't happen when spotlighting.

But if you were going to Africa and only shoot a few shots under what will be good conditions and will well chosen ammo things will be different. one thing for sure and that is a stagger feed CRF is sure nice to watch working, especially compared to an in line feed PF grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jorge, I suggest a subscription to African Hunter magazine would prove enlightening for you.

As I said lets hear about all the dead hunters and PHs whose push feed rifles failed them and thus they were killed.

Either one in a quality rifle will work 100%

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
ya jorge, what would you know on the subject, ol'man has a subscription to a magazine!? <laffin>

I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I think I WILL probably wait for the Model 70, as my next trip to Africa is not until May, 2011.

Now that this thread has been semi-hijacked into a push feed vs. CRF thread, I too am interested in any verified instances of problems CAUSED by the fact that a rifle was PF. I have heard of M700 extractors breaking but that is not a push feed problem. Aside from that, I don't think it makes any difference. Every military rifle action designed since 1903 has been PF. Shooting thousands of rounds in NRA Highpower, I have never had a feeding problem with them, or with PF or CRF bolt rifles. PF rifles, incidentally, feed perfectly well with the rifle upside down.

I have heard of problems with CRF rifles but those were not due to the fact that they were CRF.

Look at the size of the extractor on vearious rifles. A Model 70 CRF extractor grips more of the case rim than a Weatherby MkV which, in turn, grips more than a Remington PF. This could be an advantage if you have trouble extracting the case for some reason, but heck, my DG loads almost fall out of the action and they don't get mashed on the floor of the bakke for years on end.

I only had one extraction problem in my life. The case stayed in the chamber when the bolt was drawn backwards. That was a hot loaded 30-06 case, neck sized only, and mOdel 98 action.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jorge, I suggest a subscription to African Hunter magazine would prove enlightening for you.

As I said lets hear about all the dead hunters and PHs whose push feed rifles failed them and thus they were killed.

Either one in a quality rifle will work 100%

I do, been a subscriber since 2001. So how many times have you been to Africa & hunted DG? jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Every military rifle action designed since 1903 has been PF. Shooting thousands of rounds in NRA Highpower, I have never had a feeding problem with them, or with PF or CRF bolt rifles. PF rifles, incidentally, feed perfectly well with the rifle upside down.

I think there are a couple of reasons why PF for military. Firstly would be auto and semi auto. It would be very hard to get CRF to be relaible when the bolt closes so fast.The other issue and applying equally to bolt actions is the a much greater need for case rim and extractor groove dimension to meet a specifation for CRF to work.

Look at the size of the extractor on vearious rifles. A Model 70 CRF extractor grips more of the case rim than a Weatherby MkV which, in turn, grips more than a Remington PF. This could be an advantage if you have trouble extracting the case for some reason, but heck, my DG loads almost fall out of the action and they don't get mashed on the floor of the bakke for years on end.

Actually the difference in size is not as great as it looks. Only part of the CFR hook grabs the rim and the rest is lead in. The PF also tries to twist the case since the extractor rotates with the bolt. If you did want the biggest extractor of all it would need to be PF and CRF is limited to how much of a curve there can be since the rim has to slide under.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah Roscoe there are a lot of Cape Buffalo here in Florida.(LAFFIN MORE)

Keep your head in the hat where all the answers are.

I forgot there are more PHs writing for Meridian Magazine than for African Hunter (HOWLIN!)

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, for this LSU grad, the no longer 'Aints winning will make me just bold enough to move this argument to this direction.

I've never killed a "DG" African animal. Using a PF, I have killed a pile of game that were running and needed a fast second or follow-up shot. I've never dropped a round as seems to be the concern. I have, in my earlier years, though, short stroked (umm, make your own joke) a couple. That did slow the process down, and I'm pretty sure cost me, in one case, a bear. The short stroke did not cause a jam. So, would have a CRF been any different? This is an honest inquiry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For what it's worth, I have the Weatherby Fibermark (Mark V) in .375 H&H, and I love it. I think I paid $1,100 for it on Gunbroker. It's my third Mark V, and I've loved every one of them.

I'm headed to Namibia in April for PG, but I won't hesitate to hunt DG with this gun. If I'm killed one day because I had a PF rather than a CRF, than it was clearly my time to go.

Chris
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yeah Roscoe there are a lot of Cape Buffalo here in Florida.(LAFFIN MORE)

Keep your head in the hat where all the answers are.

I forgot there are more PHs writing for Meridian Magazine than for African Hunter (HOWLIN!)

god your an idiot

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
....... The short stroke did not cause a jam. So, would have a CRF been any different? This is an honest inquiry.

Seyfried and lots of others I'm sure have used PF actions on dangerous game;Harry Selby for one. Finn Aaggard in one rifle IIRC,a 458,had a PF;his other was a 98.His 375 was a pre 64 M70.... I guess you pick your experts in these matters and run what you are comfortable with......

I'm unlikely,like 99% of others on here,to ever shoot enough DG animals to ever become an expert at it,as such experience does not come with two, or four,or even a dozen encounters of this type.I would suspect a guy would have to have been in dozens of encounters, maybe hundreds,before he had a real notion of whether PF or CRF is best.

One thing I do suspect is that it is hard to take range experience of any kind,or even hunting of non-dangerous game,and translate it over into the realm of DG hunting,and duplicate the kind of fear, and urgency that goes with watching someone get pounded, or having to save your own bacon. At those times I suspect a bolt rifle is worked in an entirely different manner than anything you can duplicate in practice.

I've never had a PF jam on me,but have seen it happen with others. I cannot imagine how a properly functioning CRF can be made to jam if it is short stroked,although I guess it is possible if the extractor drops the cartridge,but see sentence below.

There is no sense bringing improperly-timed CRF's into the equation because this is like evaluating how a tire is running when it is flat.

On the extraction/ejection issue, I have seen the little post 64 extractor break;ditto the Savage 110,and also seen the Rem 700 extractor pull right through the rim of the case.I have never seen a Rem extractor break.Just the other day I saw a target rifle with a frozen plunger ejector in the gunstore for repair.I have seen one claw extractor break;it happened cycling an action in my basement.

You can't bring military weapons into the mix because they are semi or full auto,and do not depend on human hands,under great stress, to cycle.That said I was told the other day that a bunch of military stuff was tested in Arctic conditions, and the only military rifles that came through with a clean slate for function were those made by Accuracy International.Maybe someone on here knows about this?

Just because you kill an elk with a 257 Roberts does not make the Roberts the perfect elk cartridge.Along similar lines, just because a tourist hunter takes a PF rifle to Africa,and kills two Cape Buffalo with it,does not make it a "perfect", or even suitable DG rifle...

In the end, you play the odds,and pick your experts by the preponderance of the evidence,.... because compared to African and Alaskan pro's who specialize in DG, or some gun professionals who have done this stuff a great deal..anyone else's views on the matter are really not worth considering......

...Paul Mauser patented,and tested,PF rifle actions very similar to the PF's used today in many sporting rifles.The patents are right there for everyone to see....They were rejected by him and the German Gov't (IIRC)as being less reliable than the 98.With all due respect, I seriously doubt anyone on here knows more about reliable bolt rifle function than Paul Mauser.Just cause he is dead and unable to post does not mean he was wrong in any way. smile

So, in playing the "odds", I am not going to reinvent any wheels,and will just float along with the generally-accepted advise of many experienced Alaskan and African guys when it comes to this stuff and use a good,properly-timed CRF. JMHO and YMMV. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/09/10.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
First off, I would hardly trust brownings actions with a round like the .375 h&h especially when my life was at stake. Theres no point in paying 3000 or whatever dollars for a kimber to have shinyness and "quality attributes" in a gun. cz550 and mauser replicas/original mauzers are the best out there, and you know who makes them. That being said I have never personally owned a savage, but wouldn't feel safe with them either for the purpose.

The one thing I look forward to with technology is to travel back in time to hunt mastodons!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I couldn't agree more with what you've written, Bob. Good post.

By the way, I have only ever seen one claw extractor fail/break and that was on a Win M70 Classic with the MIM (cast) extractor. After looking at it, I was convinced that it was from a flaw in the metal in just the right place. Of course, it only failed after probably 1500 rounds. Failed at the range thankfully, not while hunting.

Test

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BobinNH
There is no sense bringing improperly-timed CRF's into the equation because this is like evaluating how a tire is running when it is flat.

It is valid because it is a design issue.

It is the same as saying you have to exclude crap ammo or varying rim and/or extractor groove dimensions. By its very nature the CRF needs a lot going for it and that is a design fault.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mike378

It is the same as saying you have to exclude crap ammo or varying rim and/or extractor groove dimensions. By its very nature the CRF needs a lot going for it and that is a design fault.

That's an interesting observation...............perhaps you could enlighten us as to how to improve it? If you can, I know some good patent attorneys in the states,and some overseas firms. You could make a lot of money after you redesign the Mauser 98;after all,, I think there are what?...only 8 maybe 10 million Mausers that have been manufactured? You should be able to beat that.... grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/09/10.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

That's an interesting observation...............perhaps you could enlighten us as to how to improve it? If you can, I know some good patent attorneys in the states,and some overseas firms. You could make a lot of money after you redesign the Mauser 98;after all,, I think there are what?...only 8 maybe 10 million Mausers that have been manufactured? You should be able to beat that.... grin

Well of course the improvement is PF and especially an inline feed PF.

But where this whole argument is flawed is not taking into account varying conditions.

The basic design fault with CRF is its need for good ammo and the rifle being setup correctly. But of course if someone is going to Africa they will only shoot a few rounds and thye can make sure all is OK, no protruding primers, different dimenstions, nicks on case rims etc. But if you are pro roo shooter that shoots every night and you milk the very last shot out of your brass CRF is not good. I grew up with M17s in Australia that were rebarreled to 270. We would have different 30/06 necked down, usually ex military and European [bleep] like Hirtenberger. Plenty of stuff that at one end would not slide under the extractor and at the other end the case would be left sitting on the follower.

Stick 5 round of 270 with protruding primers in a PF M70 and you get 5 bangs. A CRF M70 is out of action.

Personally, what I like about CRF is being able to run cartrdiges through a magazine without closing the bolt and also have the rifle ready with bolt forward but not turned down. Only need to pull the bolt back. I also think some calibres if the rifle is expensive just go with CRF, 375 and 416 Rigby being two obvious examples.

But if my life depended on repeat fire I would want an inline PF.

As a side note if you would like some new gun forums to look at just use Google for CRF Vs PF and that will get most guns/hunting forums grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Now I've heard everything...jorge

PS: But seriously, arguably just as important as the feeding is the extraction and PFs with those puny extractors don't stand up to CRFs. Still, the "P-effers" haven't been able to address the central question; If Pfs were better, how come hardly any PHs use them?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Now I've heard everything...jorge

PS: But seriously, arguably just as important as the feeding is the extraction and PFs with those puny extractors don't stand up to CRFs. Still, the "P-effers" haven't been able to address the central question; If Pfs were better, how come hardly any PHs use them?

I think availability and price would be the issue. Why don't they use Echol's rifles.

But you have one PH on this forum that uses a 416 Wby Mark V converted 500 Jeffery. I think Saeed said Roy Vincent uses 416 Wby Mark V

But if PH's rifles are to be the guide as to what's best then why waste money on fibreglass guns put out by blokes like Echols and others.

And by the way, next time you look at your CRF examine just how much of the extractor hook has a full grip on the case rim. I don't have either in front of me but I think Howa would be close to the same.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Starting to sound like a religion. . .

Seems like going bang under bad conditions and extreme duress would be most desirable for a bolt gun used for dangerous game. I'm curious as to whether the Germans or Russians would have traded guns at Stalingrad.

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 02/09/10.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Push feed vs. controlled feed for dangerous game ??

Problem solved !!!

Get a Double Rifle (bang-bang ) and your face never leaves the stock !!

On the actual subject I was planning on buying a Caprivi rifle and after handling one I was disappointed in the gun. I thought the stock dimensions were off and very bulky and the gun did not come up well for me as well, that happens not all guns fit everyone. I was really disappointed in the action, I thought it felt sloppy. If your going to build a dangerous game rifle start from scratch don't just through an action into a fancy piece off wood and give it an African name.

Dino

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mike: I get it now....if we are using handloads of indifferent quality,necked down from other brass,with poorly seated bullets and banged up rims with protruding primers,then PF's are the ticket,cause a PF will make them go "bang"......OK....got it.

I've jammed some lousy ammo "home"by cramming the bolt on a tough case and lit the spark myself once in awhile....anybody to his own notions under those circumstances....

Ever see those dinky PF extractors tear through those banged up rims and leave them in the chamber after firing on a hot day in OZ?.....just curious....

I assume from your handle you shoot the big Weatherby 378,416's etc.I guess Roy hadda go to inline feeding because he could not build a rifle with magazine box to handle those big cases in a staggered row, Brevex Mausers being scarce and expensive back when the Mark V came out...that said,doesn't the CZ accomodate such large rounds today?At affordable pricing?

IIRC Harry Selby's 416 Rigby was a M98;when the bore was worn out from killing stuff he needed something fast and wound up with a PF M70 458....there's that dreaded staggered magazine again! grin

I read over on AR but thanks for the tip. wink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bob,

Yes it is true, I have had a bit to do with the 378 based Wby calibres as well as 300s. Although not as much as my preferred action which is M70. But in the big case calibres I think Wby is the best setup and especially in Australia as the importing is very efficient. The Wby custom shop is also excellent to deal with.

I have had quite a lot more M70s than Mark Vs and in fact my next rifles are likely to be base on the new M70 375 and customised and also as 300 H&H.

If all else is equal I prefer CRF as an action to use, just think they are nicer. But I did say if all else is equal and I don't consider that to be the case with a CZ and something out of Wby custom shop.

With Roy I guess his goal was to have his own action and also be different. Also at that time the rifle "blow up" was the fashion as evidenced by Remington and Wby advertisements at the time. Roy also wanted to keep some common ground on dimensions with Rem 700. Action and barrel thread the same, bases the same and length the same. Although with the US made Mark Vs there was a fouls up and the rear receiver ring is about .02� thinner so Mark Vs now have their own mounts.

If you look real close at a Mark V receiver you will see a Rem 700 hiding under and integral recoil lug and bedding platform.

One of the things the 3 rows of 3 locking lugs allowed for was a longer magazine than a Rem 700 could have. Reason being that in the locked position the two bottom lugs are at 4 and 8 O�Clock and so the action can be machined out without removing the bottom locking lug recess.

I was only about 5 when the Mark V was introduced and don�t know what the atmosphere was like with Mauser actions. I do know in Australia in the mid 1960s you only used a Mauser or M17 because is was cheap and the SMLE was no good for 243 and 270.

I think there is no doubt that the in line feed was easy for Roy and the 378 and especially given part of the Mark V design. Mark Vs don�t use action rails for feeding, they are like an SMLE and everything is handled by the magazine. When the 9 lug action was used for the 30/06 the only different to a 460 was length of bolt slot and magazine and follower. Thus Mark Vs are very easy to convert from calibre to another.

But I think most people who know will say inline feed is a problem solver. Push Feed is another problem solver and simply because you remove the action of having to get a case rim to slide under an extractor where the tension must be just right and not a big variation from standard in case dimensions.

If Winchester could have produced M70s for the big case and equal Wby in other areas then they would have been my choice. I regard Mark Vs as about middle of the road for bedding configuration and M70 as the top.

Oh and yes, I have seen extractor pull through plenty of times. Mainly back in the 60s and 70s when we were neck sizing and would finish with tight cases. But I can tell you the M17s would jump over the case rim and so would Pre 64s. However with M70 PF and Sako (the PFs I have used the most) the bolt would be often too hard to open and the extractor would hold.

Remember that one of the pluses of the PF is the extractor rotating with the bolt and as the extractor grabs you get a �twist the cork� action although the negative can be brass around the bolt face. It might also be a negative with a tight case as it would resist bolt rotation.

Having said all off that I have yet to see anything equal in line push feed. Sure you can have in line CRF but you still gotta get the case rim under the extractor.

As a side note the Mark V is not the best of the in line and if you have very fast hands and the spring tension is a bit weak you will jam one. The problem occurs because the bolt nose protrudes beyond the lugs and in the open bolt position there is a row of lugs on the bottom which of course mean the case rim is well below the bolt nose and has to jump up for the bolt nose to engage the case rim.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably no one here old enough to remember... but all the early 300 WMs were built on FN actions and when the 378 came out is was built on a Schultz & Larsen M54 with (horrors) rear locking lugs and no CRF either. back in the day, when I went thru the S&L collecting phase, I had 17 as I recall, and they always worked, were accurate, reloaded forever with neck sizing and had that wonderful low bolt lift and short bolt throw. Back then they were cheap (I got my 378 ANNB for $700), now try and find one in any caliber. Still think the 7x61 was the best 7 mag ever designed.

Contrary to the previous assertion I am STILL waiting for the first documented example of a PH or client being put in the morgue because of the push feed failure. The "experts" might also consider that most dangerous game cartridges are loaded to low pressures, thus making extraction far easier than any of the new short mags or even the good old 270 WCF that runs pretty hot.

Most of the "experts" holding forth have not even been to Africa, nor if they have, have not shot 100s if not 1000s of of ammo in that environment. So their status as "experts" is based on what they read or bias unsupported by any documented hard evidence. I claim not the "expert" status but I have run well over 1000 full pressure loads through push feed rifles in every caliber from 222 to 400 H&H with only one problem. A 244 H&H on a magnum 700 action needed a SAKO extractor to be 100% reliable.
The 244 H&H is a really hot round and frequently blows primers with factory ammo. (100 gr @ 3600). I am pushing 85 TSXs over 3700 and plan to try to reach 3800 with the new 80 gr TTSX. (long stainless barrel). These are VERY hot loads and pressures far exceed anything you are apt to take on a Buff with. Why? Because I wanted one, a 257 WM would have been far easier but I also have a 400 H&H because I wanted one. That defines "Gun Nut" I guess.
Here's the 400 and 244 as well as the H&H big boys.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hope you'll accept a frog in this tread. If theorically a CRF is "safer" (i own sone pre 64 and 98 rifles)than a PF i think that the best PF are as good and safe as the best CRF, and Sakos have the advantages of both. Better have a good rifle you trust, learn to shoot it in all field position, train not to short stroke the bolt, if you're prone to that, choose a short cartridge and train more again. Lot of DG is killed by R93 i don't even want to hunt wild boars with so there must be something. A wealthy friend of me, born and living in Western Africa has hunt and shot everithing with his R93 416REm and 300Wm even in non guided hunts (buffalos). In 2009 he bought a Remington 700 Christensen with carbon fiber barrel in 416 Rigby, a fuc....g PF, and went to hunt grizzly bear, giant moose, goat and sheep in Alaska. Came back alive, then shoot one more lion in Burkina (very few to hunt each year there) and to equinoxialis buffalo in Cameroun. So the push feed must be ok even in not so well made and expensive rifle as the Christensen (magazine need to work on to feed). I also know a lot of guys using Steyrs and Sauers to hunt DG with no problems as some do with pre 64 or 98 action rifles.
This morning i zeroed a CZ550mag for a wealthy french "hunter" (bad name for such guy) who's going to Africa after PG and Buffs. Used 350grs African PH 375 from Norma 375H&H, 120 euros x 10. Shot better than MOA. This fool has never shoot a cartridge with his new CZ. Do you think it will be safer than a guy who train and use a PF Rem 700 or my friend with his Blaser?
Note also that the guys who hunts the most dangerous game (men) and on whom sometimes the future of an action lays on (snipers)use damned push feed rifles sometimes even semi autos...

Never a machine or a mechanical object will be better than the guy behind him.

Hope not to have bothered you friends.

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
about rem 700s the only drawback i have and this is the only kind of rifles with problems every year for two subjects : double stroke on the reloading action at least one incident every year and the safety ... the safety is not that good as if any moisture or snow get in it froze (it happens if temp go down -10�c and it happens more often than you can imagine) and it not happens with other brand if it tell to users something.

but that s not my experience as user but only as a guide.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Most of the "experts" holding forth have not even been to Africa, nor if they have, have not shot 100s if not 1000s of of ammo in that environment. So their status as "experts" is based on what they read or bias unsupported by any documented hard evidence. I claim not the "expert" status

Well the "experts" you quoted were the same ones on the article you mentioned and you conveniently forgot to mention what they thought of the 700 action with it's puny sheet metal extractor, glued on bolt handle and fail on fire safety. At least you got one thing right, you ain't no expert....jorge

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
the 700 action with it's puny sheet metal extractor, glued on bolt handle

Not trying to pick a fight here, cause it matters not the least to me folks' preferences. I'm pretty sure the Remington handle is brazed on and unless there's a dot of silver solder I didn't see, it looks like the new 70's are press fit just like the later NH guns. . .

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Jorge,

Never claimed "expert" status but i think the small extractor of the 700 works, and i you're affraid of it being broken it does'nt cost a lot to modify it to Sako's one.
Lot of dangerous game is taken with such rifles without any problem. Just need to look copper fouling or dirt accumulate behind that small piece of metal. Armies use it for long time now it it was so bad they would have gone to Mauser's type. Note that i have both type of rifles CRF and PF plus Sako's.
Have a good day and good flight maybe, looks you're fighter pilot. Nice job!

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Marseille: No offense taken. I just have issues with the 700 extractor. Yes it can be upgraded by why bother when a Model 70 is much better. I'm retired now, but I flew Vikings. Hunt, "brazed" is just another way of gluing something (yes I'm being sarcastic. As to the new 70s, don't own own one, just pre-64s or early production classics. Lastly, I have huge, huge issues with the 700s safety. Cheers, jorge

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Jorge,
Well, I've seen safety's of all stripes snap on safe on firing, although its usually side type. I'm not sure any rifle, other than the low mass wing safety's of the Rugers, are immune. But then these are small, so pick your poison.

Since a lot of this thread concerned the new 70's, I would think that the effectiveness of brazing vs. a press fit would be worthy of discussion. Both the post 64 CRF and SC guns are so made. I know some post 64 CRF Model 70 owners that have the press fit portion of the bolt "glued" (brazed) to the bolt body. It helps with any unfortunate bolt failure.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There have been quite a few PH's and/or controll shooters who have used push-feed actions on their dangeorus game rifles, including some who shot thousands of animals. It isn't a rarity.

Another common misconception is that it's impossible to "double-load" a CRF action.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's the bottom line: CRFs are used by well over 98% of those PHs that use bolt action rifles. PHs are not generally well-off financially and PFs are generally cheaper to buy and manufacture than CRFs, so if PFs were "just as good" as CRFs we'd certainly see a lot more of them in Africa and we do not. I'd hunt ANYTHING with a PF if that was my only choice, even a Remington (BARF) or a Savage (PUKE), only don't try and tell me a PF is "just as good" as a CRF. If it were, you'd see a lot more of them in the hands of Professionals. Hunting DG with PFs, single actions or levers are kinda Vespas and Fat Chicks-lots of fun until your friends (or PHs) se you with one...jorge

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jorge,

In suitable calibres PFs are the dear rifle. Wby, Sako, Blaser, Sauer etc.

Howa is out, only goes to 338.

In Australia if I wanted a cheap 375 "something" it would have to be Ruger Hawkeye or CZ.

The most expensive rifles that frequent the forums are PFs...Wby, Sako, Sauer and Blaser.

And one way you will see CRFs double feed big time is when the extractor is not right and they leave the case or round sitting on the floorplate after the bolt is pulled back. Case rim and extractor dimensions if not set for the extractor will do it. Ask Winchester Australia, it was very prevalent on the 300 and 338 Win stainless. And that is double feed even when the shooter does things the way he is supposed to.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

And one way you will see CRFs double feed big time is when the extractor is not right and they leave the case or round sitting on the floorplate after the bolt is pulled back. Case rim and extractor dimensions if not set for the extractor will do it. Ask Winchester Australia, it was very prevalent on the 300 and 338 Win stainless. And that is double feed even when the shooter does things the way he is supposed to.

Mike: Well.......sure,you're correct.....but consider that the CRF is not functioning at that point the way it's supposed to......Properly set-up CRF's are not supposed to have an extractor that drops the empty when the bot is withdrwan to eject.If your rifle does that,you should get'er fixed.Besides,some M70 Classics are bad examples of a properly tuned CRF smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Mike: Well.......sure,you're correct.....but consider that the CRF is not functioning at that point the way it's supposed to......Properly set-up CRF's are not supposed to have an extractor that drops the empty when the bot is withdrwan to eject.If your rifle d xoes that,you should get'er fixed.Besides,some M70 Classics are bad examples of a properly tuned CRF smile

Bob,

You can tune all your like but that won't overcome ammo problems.

There are simple facts and one leads to the other. CRF is far more complicated, a lot more needs to happen right for it to be right. That of course leads to fact two and that is cycling problems are more likely to occur with CRF.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mike: ..........mmmm.....thinking on this grin

Wish I could say I have had a CRF failure attributable to ammo,but I have not.....maybe this will happen eventually.I hope not!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We have about exausted it grin

But the Kimber Caprivi looks nice but the internet sure does turn up some bad stuff. But American Rifleman article said it is the most accurate 375 (the stainless Talkeetna) they have ever tested.

A good picture of one.

http://www.hallowellco.com/kimber%208400_talkeetna.htm

American Rifleman article.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1693&cid=3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"98% of PHs use CRFs"....Could you share the statistical data base where you acquired this totally BS "fact" from? Do you consider a double rifle a CRF? I just keep howling at all these "experts" who just make up shiet as they go along to justify their OPINION.

I am STILL REPEAT STILL waiting for the documented list of the 100s of PHs and clients who have been stomped, gored, eaten and otherwise abused because their PF rifles either failed to feed or extract when some large critter was coming to kill them.

Talk is cheap but unless you can back it up with documented factual data it's just more BS to go into the gunwriter myth database... and god knows there is enough of that to fill a large bookcase.

Amazing how our guys who fought the most dangerous game of all (Germans & Japs), seemed to want to keep their M-1s rather than swap them out for K98s or type 99s. Guess they were just stupid too as they were too dumb to know that the US Rifle caliber 30 M-1 was an unreliable POS....... (LAFFIN)

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess we need to add reading comrpehension to your list of maladies. I said those who USE BOLTS. Why do you insist on being so obtuse? Read Boddington's two books on African Rifles and look at the PHs surveys in there. You also quoted the African Hunter article on the PH tesing at Rifa in Zimbabwe. Did you conveniently fail to mention the push feed issues with the 700s there or are we back to the reading comprehension issue? I've said it multiple times I'm no expert with just three safaris under my belt, but more importantly a lot of folks here know me and I don't make stuff up. African literature is replete with examples of bad choices in rifle types, actions cartridges and so forth. So why is it most PHs (REMEMBER THOSE WHO USE BOLT ACTIONS AND NOT DOUBLES-GET IT?) use CRFs? And also tell us, how many safaris have you been on and what kind of DG have you hunted. jorge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
and the 30 cal M1 was SEMI-auto, while the K98 and such were bolt.

friggin idiot.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The above statement is so profound and deeply complex I confess I fail to understand it's relevance to the topic at hand, for surely anybody who compares military employment of firearms to Dangerous Game hunting is well, prone to using such grammatical wonders like "and such"...jorge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my comment was not to you Jorge, but to the old one.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I know wolf, guess I just tried too hard to make it sound complex and mix up our resident moron. My apologies. jorge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you guys figgered out the M-1 was not a bolt gun.

I'll try and make is SIMPLE. It was a superior battle rifle to ANY bolt action, and battle conditions are far worse than hopping out of a Land Rover and popping some unaware Kudu odd a set of sticks.
Need pictures?

Now about that list of dead clients and PHs.... wonder why you "experts" can't seem to produce that???????

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you guys figgered out the M-1 was not a bolt gun.

I'll try and make is SIMPLE. It was a superior battle rifle to ANY bolt action, and battle conditions are far worse than hopping out of a Land Rover and popping some unaware Kudu odd a set of sticks.
Need pictures?

Now about that list of dead clients and PHs.... wonder why you "experts" can't seem to produce that???????

And there you have it. Any moron that compares combat to hunting dangerous game is about as bright as those new-fangled "eco-light bulbs" that seem to be all the rage today. The second statement is pretty impressive as well if you consider ignorance and lack of grammatical skills a virtue. Just for your own education there geezer, kudu are not considered dangerous game and I don't know about your African experience but the kudu I've chased sure as hell didn't behave that way. But do carry on mentally-masturbating about things you've never done and never will. jorge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jorge, still can't seem to come up with that list... maybe you are not whacking your willie hard enough? Lots of name calling but apparently unable to supply any verifiable facts.....
What Herter's used to call a "drugstore cowboy".

Remind me again what any of this has to do with a 375 Kimber........

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
maybe you are not whacking your willie hard enough?

Oh man, every day! and why not? mine still works while yours I'm sure is a shriveled up memory that no dose of blue pills can even begin to breathe life into it. LOL! jorge

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Jorge, still can't seem to come up with that list... maybe you are not whacking your willie hard enough? Lots of name calling but apparently unable to supply any verifiable facts.....

Remind me again what any of this has to do with a 375 Kimber........

Every post you make is a hijack.I'd ignore you but its too damn entertaining to see what idiotic crap you'll come up with next..

Have you ever had a friend?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I REPEAT:

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LIST...WHY DON'T YOU JUST ADMIT YOU CAN'T DO IT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT EXIST?

The friends I have I didn't meet on internet chat rooms.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd encourage the "ignore" feature on Oldman . . . you can't win and arguement with this type of mentality, it's not possible. Every week we get another one of these idiots . . .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Encourage all you want, that's ONE way to handle getting caught in an unsupportable BS position. The only "idiot" is someone who makes a claim and cannot trot out the facts to support it when questioned. Back when I was brought up, MEN were taught to admit if they were wrong about a proposition, now they just hide under the desk. I still await the list........

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Encourage all you want, that's ONE way to handle getting caught in an unsupportable BS position. The only "idiot" is someone who makes a claim and cannot trot out the facts to support it when questioned. Back when I was brought up, MEN were taught to admit if they were wrong about a proposition, now they just hide under the desk. I still await the list........

The list you dogmatically hang your hat on does not exist, anymore than a list of those who used CRFs vs doubles, muskets or anything else for that matter and anybody with half a brain understands. What DOES exist is the very article you quoted from African Hunter magazine regarding the 700 and the survey by Craig Boddington on two of his books on African rifles, the numerous articles by Weiland, Taylor and a host of other professionals on the subject citing their predilection for CRFs. And that fact is evidenced by the reality that almost 100% of those PHs WHO USE BOLTS in the field use and prefer CRFs over push feed.

I'm not hiding douce-bag, I just chose to ignore you and waste my time trying to out-wit the witless, until a specific comment is leveled at me then it just makes my day to ridicule your ignorant ass. I've admitted being wrong here on more than one occassion, as far is being a man is concerned, too bad you'll never get the chance to prove it. But do tell us about your african experiences with that rifleof yours. You can do that can't you? jorge

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
jorge.....exercise in futility...time to just start dishing a little back...

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image] oldman1942 flapping his gums over here to eh?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep...almost time to see if OldDouche will call me a racist again...

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I know as many PHs as anyone and I believe most have control feed rifles for backup....Some do not and they are mostly plainsgame PHs and mostly in RSA or they are fairly new to PHing and can't afford a control feed rifle..At least that is my assesment based on the ones I know personally..I do know some old elephant control officers that used push feed M-70s way back yonder, mostly because that was all that was available..

But the bottom line is I have had a couple of bad experiences with push feeds allowing the cartridge to fall out as I ran after buffalo and tried to chamber a round, I have seen many more failures with pushfeeds than with control feeds..I personally think control feed rifles are not bullshit and I base that on experience not on guess and by gosh by oldman, and btw I would bet I have him bested by a number of years...

I know some folks that use pushfeeds and they are satisfied with them, and I have no problem with that, what I do find disturbing is when someone spouts off about a control feed rifle being BS when it is not, That is my option, my opinnion, to use or not to use, and the bullshit is on the internet, not in the field.

IMO, a dangerous game rifle is a 98 Mauser full custom, first and foremost, followed by a Win.control feed M-70 if you use a bolt gun. but if you switched it around that wouldn't hurt my feelings..

You will never see me in the bush with a push feed rifle of any sort unless I'm pushing a couple of rounds into my double rifle! smile and I actually prefer a good Mauser to a double rifle for hunting DG..I do love double rifles however.

Last edited by atkinson; 02/21/10.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ray,

i follow you most of the time but i met the late Robet J Montvoisin who guided in a lot of central african countries (Cameroon, Zaire and CAR) and in Zambia and was too a elephant culler in Chad in the 50s and he was using a Weatherby Mark V in 460 and 375 Weatherby magnum in his last years of guiding. i think some french speaking guides are on those action too. i ve met too a canadian that guide in Tanzania and he used too a mark V action. but they re exeptions as usual.

see you

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Hi all, I'm new to the site.

So, back to original question. Are the Caprivi's any good? I am entertaining the prospect buying one. It looks nice, but the problems I have read about concern me. Other options are the CZ 550, a custom gun, or a Dakota or similar.

I don't have any plans to hunt dangerous game, just have always liked the 375 H&H caliber. I shot a mule deer with a Sierra 300gr bullet out of a Ruger #1, and had no meat damage to speak of. I had a Remington Model 30 Express barrelled in 375, but the "gunsmith" did a hack job, so I won't be stocking it. I have two Argentine 1909 actions I bought many years ago, and was thinking of having one of them built into a 35 Whelen. That would make an adequate elk rifle, but still isn't a 375 H&H. Any ideas?

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The M70/375 is probably about the most strongly associated calibre and rifle out there and with top resale values.

But you a spanning some big price ranges when you inlcude CZ and Dakota.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I know it's a big range of pricing, but price isn't the primary concern. It's more about value. Is the Winchester out and available yet? Any street pricing? It should be about the same as the CZ 550, right? Is the Sako CRF? Just looking for a good rifle, and can pay a bit more for better wood, smooth action, etc.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think the M70 is supposed to hit the shops in the later part of the year. Winchester lists the retail at about $1300US

Gunbroker and similar have the previous model which some would prefer because of the trigger but they can be pricey.

Sako is CRF in terms of what that means but it is not the external claw extractor. They are like a push feed but with the bottom half of the bolt counterbore cut away so the case rim can slide under the PF style extractor.

Dakota is way out of the area of "and can pay a bit more for better wood, smooth action, etc."

If Kimber is OK, then it is hard to beat at the price.

For good wood probablly the best deal around is the CZs which are done by American Hunting Rifles. Stick that in Google and you will get their website. The rifles have a tremendous reputation pn AccurateReloading Big Bores forum and AR is the home of Big Bore forums.

Dakota and Wby Safari are $6000 plus and so so wood and you would be at $8000-$9000 with either with wood ugrade.

If you want super smooth and super reliable feeding and top accuracy then the Sauer but it is PF. You can upgrade their wood but that will put you into Wby/Dakota pricing.

My gut feeling is the Kimber Caprivi would be OK. I think some of the accuracy probems with Kimber in the smaller calibre are because they are very light. Vey light barrels that are not real good barrels can be real hair pulling stuff. But the 375 Caprivi is a heavier barrel, about like the M70 375.

I also suspect the Kimber Caprivi gets some bad press because of the action being like a Rem 700 under the wood while it preteds to be a M70 above the wood.But the reality is that is an image thing.

And last but not least, what about the Ruger RSM in 375. They are a nice rifle, reasonable wood and priced less than the Kimber Caprivi.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks, Mike. It seems to me that the RSM, at 10# without scope, is a bit heavy in a 375. It's 1/2# heavier than the 416, probably because of the bigger hole in the barrel in the 416. Maybe the Caprivi is the way to go, although the Winchester should be okay.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes the RSM is heavy but balances and points far better than the muzzle light Kimber. It can also be found for 1/3 the price. If you can't handle an 11 pound 375 H&H well.....

IMO light rifles cause more bad field shooting than any other single factor.

My $375 $1200.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Paddler
Thanks, Mike. It seems to me that the RSM, at 10# without scope, is a bit heavy in a 375. It's 1/2# heavier than the 416, probably because of the bigger hole in the barrel in the 416. Maybe the Caprivi is the way to go, although the Winchester should be okay.

On paper, the Kimber Caprivis is the best value. If I lived in America I would give one a go. But all costs more in Australia and sending back via agent causes a headache just thinking about hit.

As a side note, I had one of the early RSM 375s, same as the one oldman1942 has and I found the weight OK. Although we are not climbing around mountains in Australia grin But of the Kimber is Ok I would prefer it. The RSMs recoil plate system is a put of and I don't like the Ruger mounts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Ruger recoil plate system, combined with a cross bolt is very rugged. Doubt you'll see an RSM with a split stock.
Ruger rings are rugged and avoid one more failure point on heavy kickers, scope mount bases. They can also be removed easily if necessary and another scope put in place or the irons used.

Sad they don't make it anymore and the Hawkeye will never be the rifle it is. heck they don't even make a real 375 H&H.

The Kimber also costs almost 3x as much, the difference of which will buy a Schmidt & Bender rather than a Tasco.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think Ruger has $2400US on its website and Kimber about $3200US

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you can find a RSM on the Ruger website , please share it. All I can find is the blackeye for about $1100 and it's not a 375 H&H.
while the RSM did cost that much back when it was made, I'm talking street prices today.

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAfrican/index.html

for rsm s for sale:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.aspx?T=ruger%20rsm

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There you go

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77MarkIIMagnum/models.html

On the opening page at the top is "bolt action rifles" and then well down in the list that opens is Magnum and then when that opens click model.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
RSMs were notorious for split stocks when they first came out. I had the metal bar that is supposed to be the recoil damper bedded in mine. jorge

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"98% of PHs use CRFs"....Could you share the statistical data base where you acquired this totally BS "fact" from? Do you consider a double rifle a CRF? I just keep howling at all these "experts" who just make up shiet as they go along to justify their OPINION.

I am STILL REPEAT STILL waiting for the documented list of the 100s of PHs and clients who have been stomped, gored, eaten and otherwise abused because their PF rifles either failed to feed or extract when some large critter was coming to kill them.

Talk is cheap but unless you can back it up with documented factual data it's just more BS to go into the gunwriter myth database... and god knows there is enough of that to fill a large bookcase.

Amazing how our guys who fought the most dangerous game of all (Germans & Japs), seemed to want to keep their M-1s rather than swap them out for K98s or type 99s. Guess they were just stupid too as they were too dumb to know that the US Rifle caliber 30 M-1 was an unreliable POS....... (LAFFIN)

You are comparing a autoloader to a bolt action. An autoloader takes the "human" element out of loading the next round. You could be stressed out of your mind and that next round will feed. With a bolt action, you are asking someone to manually load the next round. Under stress, I can see a CRF being more reliable. I would guess that most people are under stress when they hunt DG.

Scott
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know where you dug up that Ruger website but this is the current one:

http://www.ruger.com/ no 375 H&Hs only Hawkeyes in 375 Ruger.

and here is what Davidson says: http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=77RSM%2D375

NO RSMs, they aren't making them anymore. EOS

So I guess we need an autoloading 375 H&H for the uninitiated?
I'm sure Benelli could build one (GRIN) but I think they are not allowed in most African countries.
Even easier, take a 300 or 9.3x62 WinMag R-1 barrel, rebore rechamber to 375 Epstein. 76.0 Grains of IMR 4350 pushes the 270 grain Barnes X bullet at 2,597 fps average for 4,043 ft lbs of ME. Should suffice.

Lots of info on the net.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Ruger375,

How is Quebec and Lac St Jean this time of year?
Glad you spoke of Monvoisin: this man guided hunters to really big tuskers in his time in deep forest of Cameroun,RCA and what was Congo. Modest and well educated. Look at his book at Trophy Room Books, if he was english spoken from english part of Africa would have been better known, as most of french spoken huntig guides.
Dom

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Paddler,

The Argentine Mauser is one of the best to buid an DG or big caliber rifle. Have look at dorleac-dorleac.com
Can find some good ideas.
Dom

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Oldman,

Not so easy to make a transformed semi-auto reliably work, and with heavy bullets can be worse. You can find real good steel BAR in 338Winch mag, some of them where transformed in bigger magnum calibers like 416 Taylor or even 458. lots of time and works! But in Africa semi-auto hunting rifles are banned in most if not all countries!
If i had to play with a semi would surely goes to a steel BAR or HK/Merkel one rather than Benelli.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

NO RSMs, they aren't making them anymore. EOS

EOS??? not hardly....
RSMs

All Models:
Stock Finish Material Sights Length of Pull Grooves
Circassian Walnut Blued Alloy Steel Express 13.50" 6
Model Options:
Cat. # Mod. # Caliber Cap. Barrel
Length Overall
Length Weight Twist Sug.
Retail Spec
Sheet
M77RSM MKII 7501 .375 H&H 4 23.00" 44.00" 10.00 lbs. 1:12" RH $2404.00
M77RSML MKII 7505 .416 Rigby 3 23.00" 44.00" 9.50 lbs. 1:14" RH $2404.00
M77RSM MKII 7512 .458 Lott 3 23.00" 44.00" 9.75 lbs. 1:14" RH $2404.00

jorge

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Marseille
Paddler,

The Argentine Mauser is one of the best to buid an DG or big caliber rifle. Have look at dorleac-dorleac.com
Can find some good ideas.
Dom

I know. I bought the actions a long time ago, with thoughts of building a 7X57 and a 257 Roberts on them. The 1909 won't accomodate the 375 H&H, though. Maybe a 35 Whelen and one of the ohter two mentioned above. As I said, Africa is probably not on my list, so I don't have to have a 375. But I sure would like one. smile I alos have an original complete Argentine 1909 rifle.

Just trying to get some focus in my rifle collection. I have a few Remington Classics from when they produced a different caliber each year. I'd like to replace them with Mauser actioned guns. The 1909 is, IMO, one of the finest actions to build a custom on. I guess the question is, how big can I go with one?

I really just need the action barreled, the wing safety, scope mounts, etc. I don't feel the need for truing the action, lapping lugs, etc, as these actions are so good. I shot an 5 shot, 1.25" group with iron sites with a 150 grain Sierra bullet at 3003FPS with that rifle. Who does that kind of work here in the US?

Last edited by Paddler; 03/21/10.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Poor Jorge, he keeps quoting a site that is history.

The current Ruger site does not list them nor do any major wholesalers indicate they can get a new one from the factory.

Try googling Ruger rifles. It will take you here.

http://www.ruger.com/

click on bolt action rifles and show me the RSM.....(GRIN) Just KILLING you that I got one at such a good price and you don't. (LAFFIN)

Then click on African: you'll get this:

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAfrican/index.html

One thing you gotta love about the brat pack they are all the same (see below)

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
[Linked Image] [/img]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Look stupid, if you go to The Ruger site you have linked on your sorry-assed and EMBARRRASING post and then go "bolt actions" scroll down to where it says M77 MKII under "magnum" (right under "target") you can link to the the RSMs. THERE IS NO LINK THAT SAYS RSM it's UNDDER "MAGNUM"...STUPID:

M77� Mark II

Target

Magnum

Life is tough enough, but a lot tougher if you're stupid. Hope you haven't procreated, we have enough retards to go around as it is. jorge

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't know where you dug up that Ruger website but this is the current one:

http://www.ruger.com/ no 375 H&Hs only Hawkeyes in 375 Ruger.

That is the same site.

Go to Bolt Action Rilfes at the top left and then down to M77 Mark II

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike: do you all know the expression "shallow end of the gene pool" Down Under? That's where Oldman hangs out, his microcephalic brain completely starved of oxygen...jorge

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mike: do you all know the expression "shallow end of the gene pool" Down Under? That's where Oldman hangs out, his microcephalic brain completely starved of oxygen...jorge

Jorge,

I guess he is a troll like you have all being saying. If he is not a troll he needs to see a doctor.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Look stupid, if you go to The Ruger site you have linked on your sorry-assed and EMBARRRASING post and then go "bolt actions" scroll down to where it says M77 MKII under "magnum" (right under "target") you can link to the the RSMs. THERE IS NO LINK THAT SAYS RSM it's UNDDER "MAGNUM"...STUPID:

M77� Mark II

Target

Magnum

Life is tough enough, but a lot tougher if you're stupid. Hope you haven't procreated, we have enough retards to go around as it is. jorge

+100

That link works for me as well.. No problem pulling up the MarkII magnums

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well let's see if he has the balls to show his face after just pegging the needle on the BUFFOON-O-METER LOL! jorge

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well let's see if he has the balls to show his face after just pegging the needle on the BUFFOON-O-METER LOL! jorge

Jorge..

Oh, he may post here again, but he WILL NOT admit his mistake...

He cannot be tought anything new because he "knows it all", even when he is PROVEN wrong..

Read this thread-

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3918263/1

The more he posts here, the more he acts like "Lee24"..

Last edited by jim62; 03/21/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jorge, thanks for that.

"Laffin."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
On the subject of Kimber Caprivi (and probably the big Ruger) in Australia, America might be the same, it is very hard to equal those rifles for the same cost by customising a cheaper rifle, assuming you start with a new action or new rifle.

Even if you get the blank for nothing the stock making is expensive.

If you took an M70 375 as the starting point what would itwould it cost in America to restock, get metal work up to the level of the Kimber Caprivi and add barrel band front sight.

But if comparing tosomething like Dakota or Wby Safari then things get different. A Wby Safari would be about $8000-$9000 with wood upgrade and I think Dakota would be similar and both are $6000US plus for the standard gun.

But overall, if the Kimber QC problems are over reported or if they don't apply to the Caprive then it is a good deal for a nice 375.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike: I "hounded" Ruger when they started to advertise this rifle way back in the early 90s. In fact I even have one of the first ones to come out and as you can see it has the 24" barrel and front swive on the stock. I had the action tuned up and the metal recoil plate bedded by Mark Penrod. It is unbelievably accurate. I've shot two buffalo with it. Mine and my friend's as a back up shot when he tried to get up and charge us. jorge

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you all for you kind and courteous way of pointing out my error. Gentlemen always are easily identified.

Still seems no wholesalers have them. They still cost a lot less (even at MSRP) than the Kimber. Mine only cost $1200 with two scratches in the stock and a lot nicer wood than any current Ruger. Several on Gunsamerica are also a lot less that the Kimber.

Kimbers are nice, I have an 84 NRA in 333 F, but $2 grand difference is a lot of money to have a Kimber with their spotty reputation (try the search function)

Do keep up the good work!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Laffin'

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Laugh away.... you own none of either. pompous AZZ!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We are laughing, at you! Look man, when you insisted, on more than one ocassion the RSMs were no longer being made, all I did the first time was put up a link to the Ruger site. The SECOND time you posted the same BS all I said was :
"EOS??? not hardly...." I don't think that qualifies as rude by any means. Then you come back with your "poor jorge"garbage in a weak attempt at ridiculing me. Well guess what dipshit, you've embarrased yourself again. RSMs are available and you were wrong...again. jorge

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What does EOS mean?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oldman....

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Paddler, EOS is 'End of Story'. Welcome to the campfire. It can get a little hot when you sit too close at times 'though!

The '09 action is great for the 375H&H length cartridges, requires a lot of work, but they end up very nice. That's why companies like H&H use them, or an equivalent. The David Miller Company has made some wonderful rifles on the '09. I have one in 375H&H, and will have one in a bit larger, TBA.

Oldman. WHich Kimber 375H&H did you try/buy to say that they are muzzle light? I'd really like to try one, I think the Talkeetna would be good value in the US, especially if they handle recoil like a Montana. I think the Montana's are great rifles. So are the Mod70 Classics, 'though the 375 Safari Express is a little heavy for my taste.

Best wishes, Chris

Last edited by rockdoc; 03/22/10.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Paddler, EOS is 'End of Story'. Welcome to the campfire. It can get a little hot when you sit too close at times 'though!

The '09 action is great for the 375H&H length cartridges, requires a lot of work, but they end up very nice. That's why companies like H&H use them, or an equivalent. The David Miller Company has made some wonderful rifles on the '09. I have one in 375H&H, and will have one in a bit larger, TBA.

Oldman. WHich Kimber 375H&H did you try/buy to say that they are muzzle light? I'd really like to try one, I think the Talkeetna would be good value in the US, especially if they handle recoil like a Montana. I think the Montana's are great rifles. So are the Mod70 Classics, 'though the 375 Safari Express is a little heavy for my taste.

Best wishes, Chris

Thanks, Chris. I ignore the bickering, it's not very productive. I have read about people lengthening the '09 actions. Is that what you're talking about? Anyone specialize in this area, or anybody know who I should talk to?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hi Paddler. I am not sure where you are? In the US? Lots good gunsmiths - gunmakers there. Duane Wiebe comes immediately to mind. But lots. I am of the opinion that some of the best bolt action work in the world is being done in the us. Perhaps others with actual first hand experience of having work done will contribute.

Cheers, Chris

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I dunno about today but years back guys like Ted Blackburn,Herman Waldron and Tom Burgess used to have the 1909 actions heat treated before building high grade customs on them. I had one by Burgess and stocked by Maurice Ottmar that was a honey,chambered in 300 Win Mag...

I have never seen one opened to H&H length but I'm sure it has been done by someone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any 98 can be opened to 375 H&H. Stop by the H&H store in NYC and you might even see the GEW I saw last year in 416 Rigby. It was a very nice interwar Rigby that, judging from the frosty bore, had seen lots of cordite and killed many large animals. Lots of work to get it to work and hardly necessary today,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't look like the street prices on the Caprivi's are at $3,000 anymore. This one is a nice looking rifle!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160701006

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That's the lowest price I've seen on one of those rifles. I have a verbal agreement to buy another one with more interesting wood for $2400 shipped. The one listed on GB is very plain, but I wonder what the final price will be.

This is the one I have my eye on:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Paddler; 03/22/10.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's the lowest price I've seen on one of those rifles. I have a verbal agreement to buy another one with more interesting wood for $2400 shipped. The one listed on GB is very plain, but I wonder what the final price will be.

This is the one I have my eye on:

[Linked Image]

You might be already aware of this but if not....

That looks like the same rifle as a fellow on a Wby forum has for sale. If so, then I think it should be good because the bloke who has it for sale is one of the main members on the forum so I assume if it was a piece of [bleep] he would not have there.

This is link to his post. Not sure but you might have to register to see it. But that won't hurt because then you can go to the dark side where all the good gear is found grin

http://www.weatherby.dk/showthread.php?5024-375-h-amp-h

Edit: Just looked again and definitely the same picture

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks, Mike. I talked to him yesterday, I guess after he posted that up. He seems like a good guy, and reports the rifle is sound. I'm not a Weatherby fan, so don't really need to register over there. The only reason I like Weatherby's is because they cause some guys to sell off their nice stuff when they buy one. wink I'll let you know how it works out.

Last edited by Paddler; 03/23/10.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks, Mike. I talked to him yesterday, I guess after he posted that up. He seems like a good guy, and reports the rifle is sound. I'm not a Weatherby fan, so don't really need to register over there. The only reason I like Weatherby's is because they cause some guys to sell off their nice stuff when they buy one. wink I'll let you know how it works out.

As I said in the other post if it was not OK he would not post it for sale on that site so should be a good gun.

There is another member of the site who had a Kimber Caprivi some time back and after he got bored it was sold. He is also does gunsmithing and was of the opinion that the Kimber issues on quality/accuracy were mainly related to very light weight of their other rifles. He said (I had some PM contact with him) the Kimber Caprivi he had was good gear and functioned and shot very well.

They are certainly a good package.

And a 375 H&H from the dark side grin

Attached Images
375 Mark V Small Image.jpg (55.2 KB, 3675 downloads)
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Good to hear, Mike. It should be fine.

That's a nice looking Weatherby. Couple of questions: Is that a current model with the wood stock? When does it snow in Sydney? It was warm last time I was there. smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Off the Wby forum, a yank owns it. No snow here at the moment grin

That rifle would be via Wby custom shop or it would be a barreled action from the Wby Synthetic and put into a Euromark stock. You can but the various stocks from Wby.

Wby custom shop is basically either a product upgrade or "make you own rifle". If the latter there is about #1000US which includes all steel bottom metal, don't know who makes it but like a Swiss watch, and a selection process. In other words the barreled action won't have off centre mount screws etc and etc. You can then either use what the website allows for or you phone them and take it from there and that tends to add to the price. You can also include things like action work and Kreiger cut rifling barrel etc

Be interested to hear how the Kimber goes for you, should be good I reckon.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Should be a good one, alright. It will be interesting to see how it shoots.

Now all I need to do is have my Argentine 1909 actions built up to complete a three gun battery. Maybe go 7x57 and a 257 Roberts. Then I can sell a bunch of factory guns, like my Remington Classics in 250 Savage, 270 Win, and 35 Whelen, plus a Winchester Featherweight in 257 Roberts.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How long before you expect to get the Kimber up and running?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It will probably be a bit. I expect it will take a couple of weeks to get here. Then I need to scope it, probably a Leupold VX3 1.75x6x32.

I have lots of suitable powder (IMR 4064, 4320, 4350, etc), though it's ~20 years old, a bunch of 300gr Sierra's and some Nosler Partitions, new brass, etc. So I'm good to go when it gets here. grin

I just stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse to look for stuff for the new gun. They had a Ruger RSM in 375 H&H and the CZ 550. The Ruger is indeed too heavy for caliber, IMO, and the stock on the CZ sure was bulky. I think I'm going to be happy I bought the Kimber when all is said and done. It's nicer, as it should be given the price difference. We'll see.

Last edited by Paddler; 03/24/10.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Here are some photos of the rifle I picked up last night. Initial impressions are a bit mixed. Pros include fit and finish, which are nice, a good trigger, nice furniture, etc. The action seems to be a cross between the round action and washer recoil lug of a Remington 700, and the claw extractor and CRF of the Winchester 70. It ain't no Mauser, that's for sure. The groove for the recoil lug isn't undercut so that the extractor is pulled closer to the bolt body the more difficult extraction becomes, but I don't think any are anymore. And the bottom metal is hokey. The trigger guard fastens to the bottom metal with three screws instead of being one piece. And of course, the magazine box is a separate stamped part. It doesn't compare in any way to my Argentine 1909 actions.

The action is pillar and glass bedded, but the inletted surface of the stock could have used a bit more finish. The stock is quite attractive, as it should be given the price point. The gun is also lighter and handier than either the CZ or Ruger RSM, and so is the best option for me. I think an 8.5# gun, 9.5# scoped, is about ideal for the caliber. My overall conclusion is that it's a nice gun, but an MSRP of $3200 is a lot of money for what you get. Glad I didn't pay that much for it. wink We'll see how it shoots. Enjoy:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
And the bottom metal is hokey. The trigger guard fastens to the bottom metal with three screws instead of being one piece. And of course, the magazine box is a separate stamped part.

Is the bottom metal the same as the two piece M70?

The rifle certainly looks the part.

I think the $3200US is a good price in the context of factory rilfes. For example the same money with Weatherby (DGR) or HS Precision is a plastic stock. And you can add another $400 to the Wby for all steel bottom metal.

But like you I don't like the idea of making it look like the M70 while hiding a Rem 700 under the wood.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have a Winchester Featherweight in 257 Roberts, and the floorplate on it is the worst design I've seen. The trigger guard is one piece, the floorplate that hinges the magazine plate is another. The magazine box meets the magazine plate, and there is no bottom metal between the front and trigger guard. On the Kimber, the bottom metal is at least one pice front to back, but the trigger guard screws onto it. Weird, but I think preferable to the Winchester design.

Neither compare to the Mauser, which has a one piece trigger guard, bottom plate and magazine box milled from solid stock. As I understand it, Mauser had something like 27 different versions of bottom metal, designed to feed each caliber smoothly.

The Kimber at least has the three position safety, CRF and the claw extractor. I don't mind the bottom of the action being round, as I'm not sure it makes any difference. It really seems to be a 70/700 hybrid to me. They don't undercut the front of the groove for the extractor as Mauser does, and I'm not sure why not. Doing so pulls the extractor tightly against the bolt body during primary extraction, so it can't slide off the rim of a stuck case. That's just one of the things that makes the M98 so good and sets it apart from the others.

Last edited by Paddler; 04/11/10.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have always like the 2 piece M70 bottom metal and mainly due to bedding and very easy to assemble as there is no trying to get the magazine box into the floor plate. With the 2 piece M70 the screws should be loose and then floor plate closed and then screws tightened.

Your point about the Mauser setup and for different calibres is very valid. Although modern CRFs seem to work well. The majority of CRFs I have seen in Australia with feed problems has related to rim and/or extracor groove dimensions or condition of the rim.

I don't know about the pricing in America but in Australia the Kimber Caprivi would be very difficult to duplicate by starting with an M70. The killer is the cost to have a stock made and even a basic blank still costs plenty.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
hey the model70 are here in 375 416 and 458 win why would you pay that much for the rifle when you can buy the model 70 for around 1050 take 2200 and have a custom stock built for it i knoe i have a new model 70 with the new trugger in it was rather upset that they change the trigger well i tink the new trigger may be better sure is crisp

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have posted elsewhere on here about my experiences with the Kimber Caprivi in .375, which required two trips back to Yonkers, NY. First for a barrel band sling that came loose and then for recurrent misfires due to bad headspacing. Follow up: my father bought a Caprivi in .458 Lott which we finally took to the range to sight in yesterday. The V in the rear sight blade is cut so deep that the front sight cannot be lowered sufficiently far to zero the rifle. It shoots 8 inches low at 50 yards. We called Kimber and they immediately said to send the rifle back to them to have it fixed. This is just one person's experience, but two Kimber rifles with fundamental flaws right from the factory is highly suggestive of serious quality control issues at Kimber. Hey, Leslie Edelman and Dwight van Brunt: are you paying attention, or asleep at the wheel?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I haven't seen the new Winchester yet. Was in Sportsmen's the other day and they haven't had any in yet. Sounds like it could be a nice rifle. I looked at the old Express back when it was a $600 rifle, and was underwhelmed. I recently looked at the Ruger RSM, and it's way too heavy in 375 H&H. I thought the CZ was clunky and rough.

The Caprivi I bought is used, and I paid under $2400 for it. It still seems high, but better than the other options I saw. The trigger is good, the wood is nice, etc. We'll see how it goes. I called Kimber before purchasing it, and they said they would correct any defects in materials or workmanship so long as the rifle was unaltered, which it is. It wasn't quite as clean as the seller represented it, but he said he only fired three rounds through it. I think that's plausible, as he's a Weatherby guy.

It sounds like the rear sight isn't right on that Lott. It seems it would be easier to just meaasure the height and have them send you a replacement rather than sending the entire rifle back. How does it group? If it groups okay, raising the rear sight or lowering the front sight by ~.100", or a combination of the two should fix it. I don't have my rifle here, so can't measure the sight radius, but that looks close.

Mine also is a rather deep V, and not the shallow V of the classic Express sight. The other two leaves are completely flat, no V at all. That's not right, is it? It's not that important to me, as this one will be scoped. I'll check it once I get a load developed. If the rifle isn't right, Kimber will hear about it. I'll let guys here know the results.

I also have a barreled action in 375 H&H. It's a Shilen 5.5 contour on a Remington Model 30 Express action that I had built many years ago. The first 'smith kinda botched the job, but another guy fixed it. I'm going to try my hand at stocking it if it feeds okay. With that barrel, it should shoot.

Last edited by Paddler; 04/16/10.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hey Paddler... on both of our Caprivis (.375 and .458) the flip up blades are completely flat, as with yours. I can only assume those are meant to be notched in a custom fashion in order to allow for zeros at further distances. But my .375 has a Zeiss 1.5-6, and I anticipate putting a Meopta 1-4 on the .458 Lott. I have no need for the flip up blades. But I would sure like to be able to sight in the fixed blade on the express sight at 50 yards just in case I ever need or decide to shoot without the scope.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I read the saga of your 375 H&H. How did that work out? Last I heard, the factory had it back and you were soon to leave for your safari. Did you ever shoot it with the iron sights? I'm surpirised your Dad bought one after your experience, or did he buy it before the problems surfaced?

It looks like one could simply swap out the blade assmbly on the rear sight of the Caprivi's after backing out the set screw. I haven't looked, but assume the front would be just as easy. Have you thought of doing that? Does Kimber have different sight assemblies?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
While this isn't CRF correct, buy a Sako AV. They work and you don't have to do anything to them. Yes, they're push feed, but they work. Even if you stand on your head while you work the action.

Not that I'm trying to stir the pot, or anything. . . wink grin

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 04/18/10.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
While this isn't CRF correct, buy a Sako AV. They work and you don't have to do anything to them. Yes, they're push feed, but they work. Even if you stand on your head while you work the action.

Not that I'm trying to stir the pot, or anything. . . wink grin

Of course not. wink Why would you want to do that?

I think the Caprivi should be a good rifle. And a new Sako is $2100, so not much less than the Kimber. A simple solution the the problem would be a ramped rear sight. Though traditional, a leaf rear sight is of limited utility today, when most rifles are scoped. This is particularly true of the 375 H&H, which shoots flatter than most DG calibers. Sighted for 100 yards would be fine for this rifle with iron sights.

I'm not married to the Caprivi, though. If it's crap, I'll get it fixed or sell it. Life's too short to put up with inferior guns.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Life's too short to put up with inferior guns.

+1

As for the Sako, you can get a AV in excellent condition in .375 for well under $1500.

I understand the new Model 70's are supposed to be pretty nice.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Well, I'm into the Kimber right, at least I think so. The original owner appears to have put too much scope on, and there's a linear defect in the blue where the objective scratched it. The stock had some handling marks that I've steamed out, and I'm working on the stock finish. Factory oil finishes are generally pretty poor, IMO. I'm using some boiled linseed oil, as my Tung oil experiment failed miserably. The Minwax "Tung Oil Finish" really is more of a varnish, so I had to sand a bit.

My scope arrives tomorrow, and I got my Tally bases and rings yesterday. Unfortunately, Gary sent the screw lock instead of the leverlocks, so I'll have to wait for the correct ones.

I wouldn't mind a Winchester, but haven't seen one in the flesh. I've read nice things about the CZ and the RSM, but they're both too heavy for my taste. Glad I was able to handle them before buying, as it would have been a mistake.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I can tell you from experience, the RSM is much too heavy in .375 and nearly so in .416. That, and the forend feels clubby. They are well made, though, and accurate--at least mine is. Sure hope it all works out for you.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Yes, my dad bought the .458 before the .375 showed itself to be such a lemon. Believe me, there's been a bit of buyer's remorse there. As for the .375 saga, the rifle was back at Kimber just before I left for Namibia. They apparently replaced the barrel and chambered it appropriately. They then sent it back to me via FedEx overnight. (Hey, that's something they did right.) It arrived on a Friday, I mounted the scope on a Saturday, sighted it in on Sunday, and left for Namibia that Monday. I shot most of my animals with a very trusty Sako in .30-06, but I did shoot a kudu and gemsbok with the .375 using handloads with Swift A-Frames. Both were one shot kills. The kudu ran about 200 yards after the shot traversed the chest. The gemsbok dropped where he was standing and never moved again.

I agree, the rear sights could be swapped between the two rifles. That would be fairly easy to do. I may end up doing that, but first I'll wait to see what Kimber proposes.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
A little more follow up on the Caprivi in .458 Lott. I was just cleaning the rifle, and when I wiped down the barrel, the barrel band came loose. That's the exact problem I had with the .375 when I sent it back to Kimber the first time.

So here's the run down:
A. Kimber Caprivi in .375
1. Loose barrel band.
2. Bad headspace in chamber.
B. Kimber Caprivi in .458
1. Loose barrel band.
2. Bad iron sights.

These problems make me wonder what else is wrong with the guns. I think it is especially important that a dangerous game rifle be completely reliable and inspire confidence in the hunter. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever be able to face down a cape buffalo with either of these rifles.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sorry to hear of your troubles. When I called Kimber, they told me that the barrel band is a press fit, not soldered or brazed. Solder wouldn't hold up to hot bluing, and I don't know if brazing would hurt accuracy. They also said that they hadn't had problems with a loose barrel band swivel stud. Maybe heating/cooling cycles lets the press fit work loose. I'll see what this one does. I guess another solution would be to install a front swivel stud in the forend. So long as it was the two screw to match the rear, it would be okay.

How does your 375 shoot now?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How do Weatherby and Ruger attach the barrel band?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Paddler... the .375 shoots reasonably well now. It shoots well from a cold barrel, but the groups expand as the barrel heats up. The last couple of times I was at the range, my first 3 shots went through one ragged hole at 100 yards. But I couldn't duplicate that once the barrel warmed up.

I'm surprised that someone at Kimber told you that they hadn't had problems with the barrel band swivel stud. That person was either ignorant or lying. They fixed the barrel band on my .375 nearly two years ago, and the .458 is on its way back now. I can't imagine mine and my Dad's Caprivis are the only ones that have had barrel band issues. In fact, I'm pretty certain I came across a post somewhere else about the same barrel band problem.

All I can say is the Caprivi is a beautiful rifle, but I'm so fed up with Kimber, I'll never buy another. In fact, I'm planning to sell my .375 as soon as I come back from my black bear hunt on Vancouver Island in May. Currently thinking about replacing it with a custom rifle from Dakota Arms, Kilimanjaro Rifles, or even a Jarret rifle.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sounds like maybe relieving some barrel pressure could help when the gun warms up.

What loads are you shooting?

Hope my barrel band doesn't fall off.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,064
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.