Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LASSIE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Here is another topic that all of you can bad mouth all you want.
I think all your commits will really be funny.
because about 95% of the people here don't really know about guns and libilities of them.
all Of you think if you put 1 grain more powder than your load book says is safe it will blow up in your face and maybe even kill you. these are the people that hung on to their moma's skirt tail way too long and are not dry behind the ears yet.
this is for your information the hottest load you will see is 65,000 pressure you can believe me they will not blowup at 66,000 pounds pressure.
For libility's sake your rifle action is tested to take at least 80,000 to 100,000 pounds pressure and still be safe.
pressure. Have you never had a primer to blow completely out
this is very much over pressure but your rifle will not come apart. Now this is another post from my experience.
all of you really do need to buy and read both books by P O Ackley then you can maybe know what you are talking about just most of the time.
If any of you do not trust what us experienced wildcatters post
for a hot load if you are not smart enough to start with a lower charge and work up then you should not be reloading to start with.

Last edited by LASSIE; 02/01/10.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Just because retards can reproduce, don't mean they should have.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's too early in the morning.....

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i call it "Natural Selection"

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a guy can drink a quart of whiskey and hold it down, but on a rare occasion puke his guts out...should he?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
tough call there, dvd... but i'm leaning towards yes on that one (grin), NO on using sheared bolt lugs to read pressure

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll admit that the strength ratio of a modern bolt action compared to SAAMI cartridge ratings is greater than the real vs. imagined knowledge of many experienced wildcatters. This is a very good thing for them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My hunting buddy loaded his 222 Rem with H110 thinking he was using BLC-2. the 700 Action held but welded the bolt to the action had to put in lathe and turn out barrel . Chit happens. He had left some H110 in the measure and poured the BLC-2 on top of it and the first couple of cases got charged with the H110 . He has looked in the measure since that day before pouring in another powder. This happened back in the 70's. We dumped the action .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Chlorine is amazing stuff.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
LASSIE,

You are the source of more bad information than anybody on this board. You might be an experienced wildcatter, but I doubt it, based on the stupid things that you've posted in the past and will probably continue to post. Some of the things that you've posted are just too stupid to be believed by anyone with any experience. The sad thing is that somebody without a lot of practical experience might believe you and get himself hurt by following your advise. That, IMO, makes you a hazard that should be removed for the good of the body.

Jeff

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff and his utilitarian ways! Jeez! wink

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being careful, albeit overly so, can't be a bad thing for ones longevity. smile

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i am not as adventerous as he. nor do i profess being.
[Linked Image]
as many as might look at lassie being such.

i do not get crazy with my loads to point of blowing primers, or beating bolt handles back with a mallet.

i just run em up to a point where pressure is showing, like real flat primers, shiny spots on the rim, and back off.
i have high heat here in the summer and loads worked up when it's cold, could well put a bolt threw my forehead in the summer heat.

there are winter loads and summer loads.
i am not of the bandwagon of running super loads, just higher than the mundane loads books contain with some cartridges that show signs of handeling them.

i am not a wildcatter anymore, and don't have to try this and that, with no written guidance where pressures are.

someone here gave me a load for a cartridge. the books i have say one thing, and his is another, by 2.5 grains higher !
and he is a well respected gunsmith.
i tried 1/2 a grain more for 10 grains of bullet less, and got a real sticky pulling back bolt.
okay.... warning sign... go back to the given load even for 10 grains of less bullet.
chrono comes out next...

i'm done, we all will never see eye to eye, nor do i want to.
i see what the cup and psi pressures that are listed in manuals, and know that actions are proofed at a minimal 70k. so i do feel safe, going over book listed loads, but only carefully !

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Reloading for me isn't about squeezing the most possible speed out of a given cartridge/bullet/powder combination, it is about finding the combination of components that will give me a balance of speed and accuracy, since 1 without the other is a suboptimal solution, and, if forced to choose, I'll almost always choose accuracy over maximum speed.

There are a lot of great cartridges that just aren't all that great if you don't reload. For example, the 250-3000 is a great varmint/predator cartridge when loaded with 75 to 90 grain bullets, but the factorys only offer a couple of 100 grain loads.

Besides, at age 51.85 years, I still have 30+ years left to enjoy the people, places, and things that I enjoy today and the new things that I might learn to enjoy somewhere down the road!

Jeff

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I rather run things middle of the road, If there is something I can can do at 3100 fps that I can't do at 3000fps I haven't found it yet.

If I feel the need for more speed I can always get a rifle with the next larger cartridge in that bore diameter.

Id rather have the safety margin, long case life and the milder report and recoil.

I may not get lots of extra speed out of much cartridges, but I get good speed, accuracy and I can afford to put a lot more rounds down range than I could if I didn't reload.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You may correct me if I am wrong.

Although the action may hold between 80,00 and 100,000 psi.

Brass will begin to flow at 70,000 psi.

The brass is the weak link.

Seconly, unless you have the correct equipment, you do not know with any certanty what pressures you are running.

Your action may hold up to added charges. Your brass may not.

GB

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LASSIE
Here is another topic that all of you can bad mouth all you want.
I think all your commits will really be funny.
because about 95% of the people here don't really know about guns and libilities of them.
all Of you think if you put 1 grain more powder than your load book says is safe it will blow up in your face and maybe even kill you. these are the people that hung on to their moma's skirt tail way too long and are not dry behind the ears yet.
this is for your information the hottest load you will see is 65,000 pressure you can believe me they will not blowup at 66,000 pounds pressure.
For libility's sake your rifle action is tested to take at least 80,000 to 100,000 pounds pressure and still be safe.
pressure. Have you never had a primer to blow completely out
this is very much over pressure but your rifle will not come apart. Now this is another post from my experience.
all of you really do need to buy and read both books by P O Ackley then you can maybe know what you are talking about just most of the time.
If any of you do not trust what us experienced wildcatters post
for a hot load if you are not smart enough to start with a lower charge and work up then you should not be reloading to start with.

I read P.O. Ackleys books years ago--- so what is your point?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TBS
I read P.O. Ackleys books years ago--- so what is your point?

I came to that very conclusion myself!

You definately ought to try some loads presented in referenced book - NOT!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think capitalization, punctuation, and spelling are lost skills. They would be particularly valuable to an individual making a blanket challenge to unknown persons.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Pressure once, in a singular fail-safe situation, is very different to pressure over a period of cycles. ie. Fatigue.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 18,840 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,855
Posts18,537,592
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.