Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
EJK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I know it has been talked to death, BUT is the Huskemaw scope worth the money with its bullet drop compensation built in to the turret? what about quality? An is there another scope that does all this?

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Overpriced turd in a overblown wrapper.

FAR better, available for FAR less.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mostly a marketing gimmick. Lots of better scopes out there.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

E
EJK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
what are the good ones out there?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
S&B
Zeiss
Swarovski
Leupold
Nikon
Sightron

Most of those are equal to or less in price than the Huskemaw garbage.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't believe that the Huskemaw is either a turd or garbage.
I have had one for about a year now and it is now on a 338L Imp. shooting 300 SMK's and now is doing just fine

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
xp, have you compared it side by side to comparably priced quality optics? I am curious as to your results.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The Huskemaw scopes run easily well over $1k, from the two dealers that are closely associated with the Huskemaw company; all of whom are rather closely located in Wyoming.

That puts you well over Sightron SIII range, over Nikon Monarch SF LR range, over Leupold VX-3 range, into Leupold Mark IV territory, into IOR, Meopta, Swarovski, Ziess, and nearly to Leica and S&B range. Heck, it's about more than 75% to NightForce and about 50+% to USO range. Any of those listed less expensive EASILY equal, and the rest EASILY best the Huskemaw stuff.

I've seen enough of them at ranges where the comparable, and often lesser priced glass is run side-by-side, and the Huskemaw stuff loses in nearly every category I can think of. The "turrets" they hype on so much are tuned to one load; good luck if you change loads, every. MOA turrets trump that handily. The glass falls far behind in clarity, brightness, resolution, and edge-to-edge crispness, the adjustments aren't nearly as positive as I'd prefer or can get through better scopes.

Check a few other dedicated shooting and long-range sites as well as some of the optical and specialized shooting sites for verification. I'd suggest "sniper's hide", for one, and possibly some of the benchrest shooting sites and opticstalk. I'd also check the list of winners at recognized LR competitions for what they use; hint: Huskemaw won't be there. Oh, and the site "longrangehunter.com" is run by the same guys hawking the Huskemaw scopes; the only things you'll get there are their sales pitches.

Ask them, specifically, where the scope is manufactured and by what company; ergo, what the warranty is and how and by whom it'll be repaired if/when it breaks. Compare that to the other scopes in the $1k+ range, and see if that fits.

BTW - the xphunter above is Ernie Bishop; the only person that Huskemaw would allow to "officially" review their scopes, and it's interesting that his "official review" differs so starkly from so many "unofficial reviews".

I stand by my earlier statements, and the ones in this post.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't warm to ANYTHING associated with that stupid show on TV.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"xphunter" is my old user name since I do most of my shooting and hunting with single-shot XP-100's.
There are several sites that I have not changed my user name to "Ernie" yet. The reason for the change is a dealership for shooting product that has no glass in it and is no way connected to Huskemaw or the LRH site.

The NF is made by the same company that makes Huskemaw, that is why there is such a similarity.
Both are made by the premium OEM manufacture in Japan.
NF assembles there optic in the US and to my knowledge Huskemaw does not.
At first some people thought NF was making the Huskemaw since their box shape is identical on the outside.
If anyone really has a question about the Huskemaw optic I would encourage you to call 307.587.2787 and ask your questions directly.

I have compared it to other scopes. I do not claim to be a optics guru by any stretch, but I did some comparisons with other scopes (Mark 4, VX-3, NF NXS, and a S-3 Sightron) on a ranch on game at medium and ranges beyond 1,000 yards.
The big surprise/disappointment for me in the comparison was not the Huskemaw.

VAnimrod, it seems that this topic is personal to you, as if someone has hurt you.
There is some distance between Gillette and Cody.
In fact, I have never been to Cody, and I am not a dealer for Huskemaw.
I didn't get paid for the article either.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by xphunter
"xphunter" is my old user name since I do most of my shooting and hunting with single-shot XP-100's.
There are several sites that I have not changed my user name to "Ernie" yet. The reason for the change is a dealership for shooting product that has no glass in it and is no way connected to Huskemaw or the LRH site.

The NF is made by the same company that makes Huskemaw, that is why there is such a similarity.
Both are made by the premium OEM manufacture in Japan.
NF assembles there optic in the US and to my knowledge Huskemaw does not.
At first some people thought NF was making the Huskemaw since their box shape is identical on the outside.
If anyone really has a question about the Huskemaw optic I would encourage you to call 307.587.2787 and ask your questions directly.

I have compared it to other scopes. I do not claim to be a optics guru by any stretch, but I did some comparisons with other scopes (Mark 4, VX-3, NF NXS, and a S-3 Sightron) on a ranch on game at medium and ranges beyond 1,000 yards.
The big surprise/disappointment for me in the comparison was not the Huskemaw.

VAnimrod, it seems that this topic is personal to you, as if someone has hurt you.
There is some distance between Gillette and Cody.
In fact, I have never been to Cody, and I am not a dealer for Huskemaw.
I didn't get paid for the article either.

Not personal, I just find it amazing that the only positive reviews on the Huskemaw scopes are from folks associated or affiliated with the "best of the west" group, whereas the rest of the unofficial reviews (and my own experience) put them as over-priced, under-performing marketing gimmicks. What I don't like is seeing folks get ripped off by marketing blitzes and over-priced goods of marginal quality. All of which I find embodied in the Huskemaw scopes, actually, scope, since it seems that they still only have one version.

Name the company that produces both the NF and the Huskemaw. If it's HAKKO, just say it, but beating around the bush won't do much for the advertising. And, assembly of the Huskemaw is where, again? And, their customer service is what, again?

FWIW, if assembly is not done by the same company that build NF, then Huskemaw is not made by the same company that makes NF. They may source parts from the same company, but if that's the case, the same can be said of a LOT of mid and lower tier companies on the market, and that's really not much of a recommendation. It's what parts, whether they parts are the same, and whether they are put together as well and by the same company that counts. On each of those points, I HIGHLY doubt (and in fact on the last one am certain that it's not) that it's the same company that NF uses. Nice try, though.

I'd actually encourage folks to put their hands on, and eyes behind a Huskemaw scope and run it side-by-side with another scope of known quality.

The differences will be apparent, and quickly.

If folks do call, ask specific questions, such as the internal range of adjustment on both windage and elevation, such as the return/repair/warranty policy, such as location (as in nation) in which the scopes are assembled and where any repair work would be done, such as what happens if you change load or switch the scope to another rifle re: their BDC turrets, such as what precise optical standards their scopes are built to, and what tests are used and what are the results of those tests (this ought to come back with a LOT of technical optics speak, if it's actually done).

Check Huskemaw's website, and their reasons why they are better than the competition. Their ONLY claims are to the BDC turrets and their reticle. That's it. Nothing on optical quality of the glass, durability of the scope, warranty, nothing else but the gimmicks. Gimmicks which, if they want to be honest about it, can be found on or added to at very little cost to just about any scope out there. Kenton Industries can build, and does build, comparable turrets for most scopes, and the reticle is a take-off on many other range-finding reticles on the market, such as Leupold's VH or B&C, Sightron's VHR, and similar others as well. Not a great differentiation when the "stuff" doesn't make the difference in the field; the glass does, and esp. when the "stuff" can be equaled or bestest by numerous competitors with better scopes.

Never insinuated that you got paid for the article, but you're pretty quick on the defense of that.

You and I disagree on this one, Ernie. Good luck with that Huskemaw.

If that company is around in 10+ years, and has a track-record to match the price and the hype, and they've improved the quality of their scopes to match the same, then MAYBE they'll be worth it. Until then, I can't see rolling the dice on sup-par optics with no track record and a near-alpha glass price tag.

Of course, YMMV.

Last edited by VAnimrod; 02/01/10.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I did look through one recently at the SCI-Reno show. I can't speak for the range work, but the optics are average at best, and paled in comparison to the Swaro Z3,S&B summit, and Zeiss Victory glass I looked through.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
did huskemmaw not steal this idea from Greybull?

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
A friend of mine has a Huskemaw. I've checked it out a few times and would have to say the glass was on par with a VX-III that I had just purchased, maybe a little better since the objective was a lot larger. I liked the reticle with the crosshairs for windage and have to say I wish Leupold would offer this. That said, my thoughts were they are an ok scope. I wouldn't spend the money on one, but I wouldn't buy a USO or NF or Swaro either.

Is it overpriced? Maybe, but my buddy sure is happy with everything about it. Is it a hunk of junk? Doesn't seem that way to me. It performs its function well. Now he could have saved some money going with something else, and could have been just as happy. I am positive that some guys don't like the show and just want to slam the scope because of it. Otherwise the response to questions about Huskemaw would read "They are just ok, for the money check out XYZ"

Too much drama surrounding a rifle scope. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Higbean
I am positive that some guys don't like the show and just want to slam the scope because of it. Otherwise the response to questions about Huskemaw would read "They are just ok, for the money check out XYZ"

Too much drama surrounding a rifle scope. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I would have to agree...

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
FWIW, I've never seen the show. Haven't owned a TV in over 10 years.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
VAnimrod. Not pointing fingers at anyone imparticular. Just an observation about Huskemaw haters. Have you used a Huskemaw? My friends' works as advertised and has got him shooting a whole lot more than he used to. It has made him a better more confident shooter.

Now for me, I just ordered a Leupold CDS and will work up loads over the chrony, use the iPhone with Ballistic and do my own homework. It's what I enjoy doing. But some guys don't care to spend the time doing the homework and just want to spend time pulling the trigger. Thats cool with me. The Huskemaw guys found a niche in the market and have capitalized on it.

I remember years ago, my Uncle John was super pissed at Windows for home computers. Seems he spent years programing with DOS and then Windows comes out and everybody is an expert computer geek overnight. Can't help but wonder if this is the same thing going on here.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ho hum just get leupold to make a custom etched turret for whatever you accuracy load is, if you have a turret you don't need a fancy reticle. spend the extra $700 on other stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buy a 30 mm Tube Leupold with MI or M2 adjustments add the Mid Dot, BC or Varmint reticule and you have all the scope you will ever need for long range shooting. The Huskemaw i can't say one way or the other if they are good or bad but i will say, no way i would pay the money they sell them for based on a bias TV Show that only shows the kills and not the misses. Lots of good scopes out there and a few really great one so pick careful after you do lots of research.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I can't warm to ANYTHING associated with that stupid show on TV.

Amen, brother.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,219
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.