Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by cowboy24

I was confident enough with this scope that I used it exclusively this past hunting season and took 3 antelope, 2 deer, 1 elk, as well as a Big Horn ram that took 29 years to draw a tag.

How far were these shots? Be honest now....... smile

One doe antelope at 705 yd., sheep at 375 yds. across a draw, deer at 325 - everything else I never moved the turret off the 200 yd zero. By the way the elk was at max --maybe 50 yds. Only reason on the antelope was the conditions were perfect, I was prone on a bipod with rear rest - and quite frankly - with all the practicing I had done I just wanted to see if I could do it. I do not consider myself a long range hunter - but I am capable if I have to be. I'll crawl on my belly for an hour if I think I can get closer on anything.
I have used the hold over methods, various distance reticles such as the B&C on Leo and BR reticle on Swaro as well as turrets with a pocket PC. What interested me in the Huskemaw is their simplicity and because of the conditions I hunt in here in Montana (2 day pack trip into elk camp on horseback) and god only knows what temp and amount of snow which varies from year to year. We had 3 ft. of fresh snow 2 years ago in camp and the temp never broke above 0 F. After two days I might as well have used my pocket PC for whatever because it was dead (I did have my cheat sheets as backup). After many years of trying to get more electronic and fancy stuff I'm now trying to find ways to get rid of it. If it's electric/digital - it'll malfunction sometime. I really like things that are simple - maybe that's because my engineering degree says Murphy is always just around the corner.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That turret is still only accurate for one load, under similiar atmospheric conditions. You noted that the weather can vary widely where you hunt. You probably wouldn't notice it until you got out to longer ranges, but I bet you would notice it. A load is not going to shoot to the same POI if you go from 70 degrees to -10 degrees.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
John, That is good to hear about the Leupold V7, it's nice to hear that the Americans are actually making something special. I looked at Darrells scopes and agree that for a reticle-based long range system, his seemed very good but after much testing and discussions with others, decided that the reticle systems are not as effective beyond 500 yds as actually moving the crosshairs. I have B&C reticles on several scopes with turrets. I can use the aiming lines for medium range shots and crank in the elevation for the real long stuff. This is working out for me.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

What is the suggested retail price of the VX-7?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
C
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
That turret is still only accurate for one load, under similiar atmospheric conditions. You noted that the weather can vary widely where you hunt. You probably wouldn't notice it until you got out to longer ranges, but I bet you would notice it. A load is not going to shoot to the same POI if you go from 70 degrees to -10 degrees.

All you have to do is put the original 1/3 MOA turret back on and use your PC or range cards. Just because you have a turret built for one, two or however many elev., Pressures, temp. etc. doesn't mean you cannot fall back on the original turret that can be used with any load under any conditions and you determine what to dial in by using an outside source. I have tested my higher elevevation turret from 0 degrees to 30 degrees and 6500' to 8000' (Never gets any warmer up there) and I'm good to 800 yds. I would agree with you 100% on going any longer without using a PC and incorporate all atmospheric conditions. One season experience and only a hand full of kills does not fall into my class as being proven but so far it is very encouraging.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by jwp475

What is the suggested retail price of the VX-7?

Depending on the model, they can be had from $1200-$1300 it looks like.

NRA Benefactor Member

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by cowboy24
All you have to do is put the original 1/3 MOA turret back on and use your PC or range cards. Just because you have a turret built for one, two or however many elev., Pressures, temp. etc. doesn't mean you cannot fall back on the original turret that can be used with any load under any conditions and you determine what to dial in by using an outside source. I have tested my higher elevevation turret from 0 degrees to 30 degrees and 6500' to 8000' (Never gets any warmer up there) and I'm good to 800 yds. I would agree with you 100% on going any longer without using a PC and incorporate all atmospheric conditions. One season experience and only a hand full of kills does not fall into my class as being proven but so far it is very encouraging.

Precisely, ANY scope can fit the bill if we're talking about conventional turret use. Kenton industries will make you a laser-engraved knob for one load. Kenton Industries has been producing load-specific knobs long before Huskemaw came along. So, what makes the Huskemaw scope special? Is it comparable to other scopes in the $1000 ~ $1300 range? From what I've heard, the answer is no, the Huskemaw scope is over-priced.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dennis,

Most of Darrel's scopes are set up to use both the ART reticle and turrets. You use the reticle out to whereve you feel comfortable and then start twirling. It's not an either/or system. That's why he puts them in (among others) Leupold Mark 4's and Nightforces. And at any range you want to use a reticle, it's much more flexible than any factory reticle I've seen, plus there's the factor of being in the FFP.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Well that would make them about perfect then. Didn't realize he had turrets too! I think that is the best of both worlds myself.

NRA Benefactor Member

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dennis,

Most of Darrel's scopes are set up to use both the ART reticle and turrets. You use the reticle out to whereve you feel comfortable and then start twirling. It's not an either/or system. That's why he puts them in (among others) Leupold Mark 4's and Nightforces. And at any range you want to use a reticle, it's much more flexible than any factory reticle I've seen, plus there's the factor of being in the FFP.

How is any of these "designer" reticles any better than a MOA or Mil reticle?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jwp,

The Holland ART reticle is a mil-based reticle, but combined with MOA. It's also very user-friendly, unlike many reticles that are just marks in the field of view. Take a look at the website www.hollandguns.com and you'll have a better idea.

Plus it's in the FFP.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Holland reticle really is pretty neat. It's like having turrets on your scope that you dont need to move. The hash marks and dotz below the cross hairs represent MOA. The computer program supplied is a combination of Hollands and Sierra infinity.
Basically determine your bullet and velocity as well as other parameters and plug into the computer and get the hold over for each range you want to shoot. For example my .300WSM with a 180 @ 3000 requires 10 MOA hold over to be on at 500. Just look through the scope, find the 10MOA dot and fire. Make a chart for each range and tape it on the stock and your GTG. Like anything else the proof is in the shooting. I found my .300 was shooting a little high at 500 with that setting so I used the 9.5 dot and it was right on. Fired at 300, 400, and made minor adjustments in hold over. recorded the changes and fired each yardage again. Dead on at each range. Total flexibility and the precision of a turret. so simple. No turrets to twirl. It takes less time to actually do it than it does to describe the process.

I have two Leupies modified so far and one thing I noticed for sure is when the scopes came back they seemed to be clearer and have better resolution. If you move the scope to another rifle just re run the program with the new parameters and use the corresping dots.

Darrel Holland is a nice guy and will talk you through any questions or percieved problems.

Lefty C

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
John,

Does Holland only install his ART reticle in Leupold, S&B and NF?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Does the ART reticle voild leupold's lifetime guarantee?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Magnumdood,

That I'm not sure about. I do know he sells Leupold, NF and S&B scopes with the reticles installed.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
k3yston3,

That I'm not sure about either.

The person to ask about all these things is Darrell.

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not John,

But when I spoke with Darrel he was installing the reticles in Leupold and S & B only. Actually he does not install the reticles they go back to Leupold. He has a patent on the design/system and Leup does the install. Not sure about S & B. I was told the the full Leupold warrenty applies. He may install in NF, I thought he said not.

Lefty C

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
He doesn't install any of them, it is my understanding from talking to Leupold and others, that they do it themselves. Leupold told me that if I want to design a reticle, they will manufacture it and install it for me too (for about $10,000 initial fee).

A few years ago I wanted a reticle that let me shoot out to 1000 yds. After serious discussions with a couple of engineers at both Leupold and Swarovski, I felt that it was the consensus feeling in the industry that much over 500-600 yds required too much input to rely on the coarse adjustments available simply by a reticle. I have never seen a 1000 yd competition shooter (that is competitive) yet that didn't have turrets and use them!

Maybe I am just too old fashioned but I would have to "see" to believe.

NRA Benefactor Member

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Dotz and similar systems are great for hunting and getting on target quickly, but for competition turrets are the only way.

LC

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
When I said that Darrell installs the reticles, I meant that he has them installed.

He has listed Nightforce along with Leupold & S&B on his website for about the past year.

Once again, even Darrel does not suggest that ONLY the reticle be used for long-range shooting. Most of the scopes he offers are also designed for turret-twisting.

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 280shooter, 14 invisible), 1,645 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,998
Posts18,481,175
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.