Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
ringworm; I just know you didn't really alter those numbers, but (like the lady said)there's probably no rule against it... laugh

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
HR IC

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Gobble
You guys should work the counter for a week and listen to what the gun shop tire kickers talk about. I just smile and listen it makes the day go by faster. Never argue with a idiot.

a BIG +1 on that..

I learned never to argue, or correct a "customer"

If they ask for ".280 Remington Magnum" shells ( true story) I tell them simply that we don't have them...

If they ask for "7mm Regular"( true story) I tell them all we have is Ethyl..

If they ask for "elk bullets" ( true story) I simply grab the biggest, most expensive shells on the counter..( Sold a $124 box of .416 Rigby that way one day...)

If they tell me they have a Mossberg 500 "Pigeon Grade" ( true story)I smile and say I'd really like to see one of those ....
So the guy goes out to the truck and Brings it in!!! shocked Sure enough, marked " Pigeon Grade" and had the scroll engraving filled in with greasepaint...which is what really set it apart from other Mossbergs!!! grin

Sooo, yeah...I don't "correct" anybody... wink

Ingwe

Funny stuff!

Camp is where you make it.
R
rjf Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is good stuff! Not really gunshop, but I work with a guy that is a know it all. Another guy and myself were talking about rifles and energy of bullets. This guys comes half way into the conversation and yes, he always has to say something. He said something like this, I would rather have a 243 that hits around 2500 ft lbs at 400 yds then a hard hitting 300 win mag. I looked at him and didnt know what to say, but when he walked off all I could do was grin!

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bucktail
A guy that used to work at the Sportsman's Wharehouse in Coon Rapids before it closed down was telling me about a special bullet that he designed for his .50 BMG. It had a hole down the middle, making it more aerodynamic. I'm thinking it had great internal ballistics to boot...

PMC, IIRC, used to make a pistol bullet like that. Looked like a piece of copper tubing with the front edge sharpened. The rear was closed while in the barrel by something like a gas check.

Bruce

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Kind of in the same vane as the other stories, but under the category of You Have no Idea What you Have. Guy walks into the stor I worked in and ask if we buy and trade guns. I answer yes and what do you have. He says he wants a Ruger boat paddle stainless .300 Winchester, and would like to trade two for one if that's possible. I said Ok let's see what you have. He says I have an "old doulble barrel shotgun" and an "old Sears rifle" I'd like to trade. He brings in a Fox Sterlingworth double and a Sears Model 54 with an FN action. If I had been sneaky I could have made the deal of the century for the store. I politely told the gentleman the truth about the value of both firearms and he was stunned, especially about the shotgun. He decided to keep the shotgun, trade the rifle and pay the difference to purchase the Ruger. This happened more than once to me as a clerk in this particular store.

How a man acts when he wins reveals part of his character, how he acts when he loses reveals the rest.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My gal and I were talking about our customers stories last night. (we've both worked the counter for many years)
My favorite was the time a customer came in and asked her for ammo for his 9mm handgun. She showed him different brands, some marked luger, parabellum, 9X19. He looked confused and said he would pass, he was only looking for prices today.
He then walked down the counter to me and asked the same question, I told him I wasn't sure, lets go talk to the expert, and I took him back down to her.
Sheepishly he declined again and walked away.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Man, I got a million of 'em.....

Yuppie comes in with a cutie in tow (obviously trying to impress).
The hero says "I just got my gun permit and I wanna get a new handgun". So I begin to show him some revolvers. He says, "No, gotta have a clip, gotta have a clip..." Not concealing my exagerated eye roll and frustrated sigh very well, I ask what he wants to see. Yuppie moron points to a new Sig P229, saying "Ive always wanted one of those". Mr.Hollywood proceeds to do his best "Jack Bauer" imitation, repeatedly bringing the weapon up in a two hand hold (with an interesting addition). Ms. Cutie looks impressed with him.
Mr Cool is now snapping the trigger, killing imaginary multiple adversaries.
Tired of the show, I said, "So you shoot much?" He says, "Oh yeah, I was in the Army, and shoot all the time".
I said, "Oh, so that thing with putting BOTH INDEX FINGERS on the trigger is a new technique I never heard of?"
He turned beet-red, put the gun on the counter, and walked out without a word, leaving Ms Cutie slackjawed at the counter.
I said, "Guess he watches too much TV".

Proud member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ColtRaceR
Tired of the show, I said, "So you shoot much?" He says, "Oh yeah, I was in the Army, and shoot all the time".
I said, "Oh, so that thing with putting BOTH INDEX FINGERS on the trigger is a new technique I never heard of?"
He turned beet-red, put the gun on the counter, and walked out without a word, leaving Ms Cutie slackjawed at the counter.
I said, "Guess he watches too much TV".

That is rich grin. It's one thing to be ignorant. Quite another to be a BS'r and showoff when you're just so wrong.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Guy calls me "You sold me a broken gun, I want my money back". Isaid, "whats the problem?". He says"I put a full clip in the gun, and it doesn't shoot, you sold me a bad gun, you guys are scumbags". I took exception to having sold him a "bad"gun.
I said, "bring me the gun".

He showed up with a S&W 659, yelling that he wanted his money back, etc.
The gun was loaded still, full mag, but no round in the chamber.
I locked it open, removed the loaded mag.
Handed Mr Hothead the firearm and an empty magazine. Said, "So show me what happened".
Genius threw the empty mag in, and repeatedly pulled the trigger, saying "see, this is what it doing".
I took a few dummy 9mm rounds and put them in the empty mag, put the mag in the gun, and said,"Look, did you do this?" and racked the slide to chamber a round.

He looked dumbfounded, a lightbulb glowing over his head."oh".

"Here's your money, don't ever come back here."

He got thrown out of a gun club not long after, for shooting a semiauto pistol in the air repeatedly (in a heavily populated area).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At a shop the other day and the kid behind the counter didn't know what a Marlin Model 39 was. Now that just ain't right.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bad upbringing. Blame his dad, if he has one.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Went into Wally World for a brick of .22RF & some hardware items. A young clerk handed me the brick & I started to hardware before hearing "stop". I stop & said clerk informs me that I must proceed immediately to check out that its dangerous to walk around with ammo that could explode. I explained that ammo was not explosive & that he was a fool. He then proceeded to call for security while I walked to hardware. Obviously, security must have told him what a fool he was too. Probably went back to the underwear department.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I bought one gun at walmart. When the insisted they walk to the door because I'm not trained to properly carry a BOXED firearm to my car, I decided it was the last time that would happen.

I do buy .22 bricks there though. No one around can even come close to touching them on that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WHEN you can get it here, our Wally's makes you pay for the ammo at the sporting goods counter ... you can walk around the store with it, but you have to pay for it there.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
...yet more reasons to never go to walmart

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want 22lr bulk ammo in this area, you gots no choice!!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Almost forgot this one......

One slow day, a couple of huge busses pulled up in front of the gunshop. Guy gets out of the first bus and crosses the parking lot then with obvious trepidation, opens the door and comes in. It's a thirtyish asian man and he looks around, wide eyed(ha).

I said, "Hi, can I help you?" He said, "I not want to trouble you, but I have two busroads of Japanese tourist that have never seen a gun store......can they rook around? I will exprain they they cannot touch, and must ask permission before taking picture."

I looked at my partner for reaction....Just gave me one of those "puzzled dog" looks... So I said, "yeah, go get 'em".

Only about fifteen got off the busses, all men, lead by the "guide". All had the obligatory camera around his neck. They came in wide-eyed, like 3 year olds at Disney for the first time.
Nudging each other, pointing at guns in the showcases, jabbering away excitedly. The took each others pictures posing in front of the black guns, on the rack.

One went to the "guide", and they kind of chattered at each other for a minute, then the "guide" came to me and asked, "We want to know if you have Dirty Hally gun". I said, "Hell, yeah." I waved over to the old guy that asked, and handed him a S&W M29, and said,"Go for it".
When the others saw the old one posing with the .44, they all rushed over to snap his picture, posing. Then they all took turns, holding the 44 and getting their picture taken.

My partner was shaking his head, mumbling, "bad idea, bad idea".

I said, "F...k it, let 'em have fun".

I called over to the chattering crowd of excited tourists, "Hey, you're supposed to say, "Go ahead, make my day, punk."
A few struggled to pronounce "make my day", as they posed.

The "guide" thanked me profusely, and herded the tourists out the door. They all grinned widely, bowing to me as they backed out the door.

I said, "Well wasn't that fun? We had nothing better to do anyway".

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by avagadro
If you want 22lr bulk ammo in this area, you gots no choice!!

Pretty much how it is here too.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I guess I should consider myself lucky that there is a decent old school sporting goods store only 35 miles away in "town". I got my first bike there in 1971. The 22 scarcity seems to be subsiding; I bought two bricks of CCI blazer for merely twice what it used to cost the other day, instead of not being able to find it at all, or finding it for three times the old price!

Last edited by red_alder_ranch; 02/04/10.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ColtRaceR
Almost forgot this one......

I said, "Well wasn't that fun? We had nothing better to do anyway".

Love it! I once gave a tour of the small sawmill I worked at to a mob of Japanese high school kids. Everything I said had to be translated, and everything I said was also recorded for posterity on 40 different very high tech recording gadgets, and hundreds of pictures were taken of me showing off the headrig... it was very surreal, and fun.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (22250rem, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.