-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
New to scopes, buying this rifle for elk hunting. To many choices for the un-informed buyer, any help appreciated. THANKS. Rick

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are some great fixed 6x36 or 42 scopes in the classifieds. 4" of eye relief and rugged. I have a Leupold 4x33 on stainless stalker. Thought I might be handicapped at the range, but that turns out not to be the case. Simple is good. Spend the savings on good binoculars or more practice ammo!
I also saw a Weaver Grand Slam variable that is a great scope.
Couple of great buys on a Weaver 4x or 6x for under $100 both with Microtrac. Don't know the eye relief on the 4x and 6x Weavers but it is a little short for my taste on the Grand Slam.
No matter what you do you do not need anything bigger than a 44mm objective bell.
Always some great buys here on the campfire if you are patient.
Good luck!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Give Doug at cameraland a call and talk to him about the Vortex Viper line of scopes. They should fall squarely in your price range and offer some pretty good glass for the money.

R
OP Offline
R
I'm all for the price but why would I want a fixed scope . I would think the widerange of shooting distance elk hunting a var. scope wold be better. Like I said I'm just learning so I'm not questioning your advice, just trying to learn about scopes. THANKS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few others may throw their opinions in the hat, too. Nothing wrong with a good variable. That said, fixed scopes are still more rugged. They are simpler lighter and stand up to recoil better. I talked myself into a large 52mm variable early on and after missing a shot at a lifetime trophy mulie because point of impact shifted from a knock earlier that day a Leupold M8 3x sits on top of that .308 now! It still prints groups at .66". I simply realized that for me the scope was an aiming device and I wanted the simplest, most rugged device possible. The new Leupolds are multi-coated and better optically, but even the single coated M8's are more than enough.
Don't have to have all the latest and greatest to hit an elk in the vitals at 300 yards. (Which is a long shot!)
Anyway, not trying to talk you out of anything, simply giving my recommendation. Fixed power with lots of eye relief able to withstand recoil are my requirements for scopes on rifles with above average recoil. Not a lot of scopes fit that recipe.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
+1 on the Vortex Line of scopes!!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
R
OP Offline
R
338WIN sounds like some good advise. Thanks for explaining your thoughts. It really helps us guys who are just learning and trying to buy the right scope the first time.Would like to hear also the pro's on a var. scope from you regulars. thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Rick, Lots of guys with waaay more experience than me here. I was cruising the classifieds and there are plenty of scopes that would work for you. I like Leupold for the eye relief and unbeatable warranty. You can buy used with confidence because of the warranty. Zeiss Conquests are a tremendous scope with 4" of eye relief on some, but seems like the prices jumped this last year.
An FXII 6x36 is up now for $240 or offers.
A couple of variables I would be happy with are the VXIII 2.5 -8x36 Leupold and one sold just yesterday for what looks like $275. That is in my opinion about the best value for variable hunting scopes and has proven itself very rugged.
I also like the VXII 2-7x33. One just sold for $250.
IMHO the pros of variables is at the range. Magnification is nice when shooting paper. Unless you are shooting over 300 yards no real advantage. YMMV.
FWIW, I took an awesome mulie with open sights on a muzzleloader this year! I still wish scopes were legal on muzzleloaders here in Washington.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,134
Posts18,502,693
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.