Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yep, I said what I said because of a few different experiences with em,

One time a pack of 6 surrounded me while I was shed hunting, luckily for me I had my S&W 629 and shot 4 of em before the whole ordeal was done and almost got bit during the process as one got behind me and I noticed him in the corner of my eye as he lunged for my calf.

I spun around and wacked him in the middle of his back with a 240 grain slug and that ended his fun. I ended up killing 3 and the fourth was gut shot and got away....I was in no mood to track it but I am sure it died.

Another time I was deer hunting and came upon 3 of em eating on a dead deer, the saw me and started growling and coming toward me...I had my 12 gauge and got 2 of em and not sure about the 3rd.

While I was typing this I remembered a time while I was going up to my friend Ronnies farm (our deer hunting farm).

Behind the house is a pond, at the edge of the pond I noticed a black dog very intently munching on ? (turned out to be a deer leg) I started to go toward the dog to shoo it away but when I did 5 more dogs that I hadnt seen came running and barking from my left about 70 yds away. (I had my 12 gauge) I did not shoot as my friend has a neighbor that has some dogs and they are a nuicance to my friend Ronnie and he has talked about this problem with his neighbor several times.

I didnt want to kill the neighbors dogs and my friend really have a problem with the guy.

Turns out those dogs were not this guys but a wild pack that has been running around the area.....wish I knew that at the time mad

Anyway, if its a wild dog it dies.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
We had some folks move in near the ranch. They had some mix breed dogs that were huge (100-120 lbs). Apparently the people never fed them. We saw them numerous times chasing calves in the pasture. Then we found a few dead calves. We confronted the owners a couple of times. They wouldn't do anything...won't say what happened to the dogs.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
wink

cool

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Wow. I don't think I carry enough ammo into the woods!

2 b 1 ask 1 !
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My big brother is a dog lover, he has always had at least 2 Labs but normaly has 3.
A few years ago his favorite lab died at the age of 13. a few weeks later one of his friends brought over a beautiful Chocolate lab and gave it to him, it was just over a year old had paper's but had been abused by his origional owner and had never been off a chain, very mean and aggressive.
My brother happily accepted the gift and put this dog in with his other two, with-in 24 hours all 3 dog's had busted out of their pen's and were on the loose. my brother tried for days to find them to no avail, a week later he got a call from a farmer who found them and called the number on their tags.
They had roamed 25miles from his house and had killed at least 2 deer, several other small dogs and at least 1 cow.
When he got the 3 dog's back, he spent weeks with the BAD new dog trying to train it......he was at the point of taking it out to shoot it ,when out of nowhere it turned the corner and GOT IT. it is now the best dog I have ever seen, my 2 year old grandson pet's it and I have Zero worries.
On the other side of this I have seen feral dogs that are far more dangerous than a coyote.
Late last summer I was riding my Goldwing from western Colorado toward my home in Utah, I was a 100 miles from the nearest town and out of nowhere had a feral dog play chicken with me, it was incredible how relentless he was. did not want to risk a get-off trying to run him over so had to give him a 357 pain-med (or 6).
I also am a coyote caller and have called in badger's and feral dog's.....shoot without hesitation before they get you.
B

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have had to shoot my way out of three packs of dogs that wanted to kill me. I have been stalked by two other packs. I have a pack of coyotes on the farm that runs at the sound/sight of me. Shoot the dog first and then worry about the coyote. Shoot them both if you can.

I always carry my 629 or a rifle when I am at the farm because of the dogs I have encountered in the past. I have not seen any this year but am not taking any chances.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MonsterQuest on the history channel did a really good show on feral dogs but I cant find any video on their website or on Youtube. If you can find it, I would recomend it as a good show.

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Big fan of Monsterquest, but haven't seen that one.

On a side note, I've always been a dog lover and owner and never took joy in shooting them. At this point in life, I'd have to be survival before I could shoot another.

O

Too old to suffer fools
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
There was a pack of coyotes across the road in some woods last night when I went to bed. They were carrying on and howling so loud it was spooky. I got up a couple of times during the night and spotlighted, but no luck.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Recently saw a program on TV about feral dogs in cities. Not good. Detroit MI was one of the cities they mentioned as having a serious problem. St. Louis had a young boy mauled to death by a pack. They seem to more wary of humans most of the time but how long before yotes mix in? Bad enough in the country, the city is worse because so many times no guns are allowed and with little kids around it just makes me shudder. As a kid I was mauled by a neighbors dog. Not fun. I love dogs but there is a limit.

Art
In life you will find that constants aren't and variables won't.
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ajHilgy
Recently saw a program on TV about feral dogs in cities. Not good. Detroit MI was one of the cities they mentioned as having a serious problem. St. Louis had a young boy mauled to death by a pack. They seem to more wary of humans most of the time but how long before yotes mix in? Bad enough in the country, the city is worse because so many times no guns are allowed and with little kids around it just makes me shudder. As a kid I was mauled by a neighbors dog. Not fun. I love dogs but there is a limit.

Yes, thats the one I was talking about, in this show they mount a camera collar to one of the dogs and get video from the pack.

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I just remembered, about 10 years ago my two nephews were playing outside at their country home with the neighbor's black lab tagging along. He was the biggest lab I have ever seen. Another dog came out of nowhere coming out to attack the boys. Well, the lab grabbed the dog as he got close to the boys. Somehow he broke the dog's back and the boys were not hurt.

After that the lab had two homes. Not sure how he ate at his real home, but he was treated as a king at my brother's.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In college I use to do a lot of backpacking in Northern New England and Northern NY State in the Adarondacks.

Plenty of wealthy people from the metro Northeast, would rent cabins on a lake for the wife and kids for the summer and bring a dog they got at the pound.

When the summer was over, Dad would just take it out and dump it off. The bigger ones would survive, and the smaller ones would get killed.. The survivors would get absorbed into these packs that would also have wolves in the pack, that migrated down out of Quebec.

They were a back country threat. It was the ones that had been around humans that were the biggest problem. No fear of man, where the others did.

They called them coy dogs up in New England in the 70s at least.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...e_Pack_of_dogs_kills_a_child#Post3744268

--------------------------------------------------------------

Nine year old boy killed by dogs .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have thought many times about what i would do about a "feral" dog if i came upon 1 while out hunting. I know now that I wouldn't shoot it as i could not be sure if the dog had just got separated from it's owner while he was out riding his horse or whatever. I once had to shoot 2 Great Pyrenees the rancher told me to kill 'cause his neighbor who was raising them let them run free on his ranch, after numerous warnings. I used to think that a "feral" dog would be one of the most fun animals to hunt since it would be a damage control hunt that genuinely helps the rancher, but after shooting them it wasn't the thrill i thought it would be. But...of course i never say no to the rancher.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The feral dogs here are much worse during our calving season than the coyotes ever are. Only once have i seen coyotes get a calf here. many have been taken out by dogs. Much more agressive and hunt better in packs and get much larger. I shoot em all. If there's no collar they get blasted. We are required to shoot them on one club that I am a guest at.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Dog packs....wild or domestic...are bad news. First hand knowledge recently that REALLY opened my eyes as to how bad they can be. Wild or domestic the rule of law in my state is "worrying livestock" (which includes pets/chickens/etc) carries a shoot on site penalty.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dang, don't think a 6-shot 357mag is enough! scary stuff!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
In the most recent case I observed....NO. And I don't care how strong the pepper spray is I want lead and lots of it.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Two years ago I was sitting in a central Iowa fencerow enjoying a pre deer season scouting trip. Right at dusk two very large feral dogs broke out of the timber and headed right down the fence line directly at me. I remained motionless but one of them winded me on the way by and I was in trouble. I was sitting with my back against a corner post and the piece of pipe that was serving as a brace for that corner post was loose on one end. I was able to twist it free and defend myself with it. The dogs finally gave up and left but by now it was pitch black and I had a half mile walk back to the truck. My hair was standing on end the whole way.

I sat next to that post the whole next week with my 243 before I got a return visit. This time just one showed up and I made him very dead. This dog looked like a Newfoundland/Rottweiler cross and weighed 115 lbs.

As a rule a dog and coyote will usually only run together when they are opposite sex and one of them is in season. If you can figure out which one is the bitch and kill her the sire will usually depart reluctantly and will usually hang up waiting for the love of his life or will often return in a short while later and then he can be offed as well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Anaconda, alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 375sunrise, 12 invisible), 839 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,915
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.