Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
huh?

I was asking how new the action needs to be to not need the finish work that the originals needed, as per the comment above mine.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
stay clear of that action and company!!!! they need to be re done from top to bottom keep youre eye open for winchester m70 i have 3 now there out there yes lefty!!! that company and action is a train wreck

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be specific about your complaints with them. What went wrong?

Last edited by exbiologist; 02/05/10.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My MRC 1999 chambered in 300 H&H mag functions perfectly and is a shooter to boot. I would recommend it based on my experience. As mentioned, a quality gunsmith should make sure all is well with feeding and extraction before sending your new firearm out the door.

sidepass

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I had one and really liked it. A tad on the heavy side though.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, they aren't light. But my 7x57 Serengeti on teh "short" 1999 action (3.1" magazine) weighs 7 pounds 15 ounces with a 2-7x Leupold Compact in Talley Lightweight mounts, and a medium-weight 21" barrel. I can carry that.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
it took way longer then said. they wanted to give me a crome moly bolt on a ss action. when my smith got it the wrong spring and fowller was in it didnt feed worth a sh?? so a scraped it at a loss thats the way it goes. my good buddy has a complete build in 22-250 mag box is over sized and the stock is slighty cantered to the right and there is a peice fo stock rolling around the butt end of the stock it sounds like a pebble rolling around if you tilt it up and down that is no bs!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've used 2 of their actions (both stainless) and they've been good to me. Sold one that was a .375, the other I had rebarreled to a Whelen. It shoots little cloverleaf groups.....with factory ammo. Mr. Feldkamp spoke well of the action when he barreled it. I don't think they are any heavier than a M70 action...they do have 1/2 lb bottom metal, but it is a nice, solid 1 piece bottom metal. If you're worried about weight, go blind mag.

McMillan makes left handed stocks for them...most any color(s) you want! Sounds like a great graduation present in the making.

JCM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 7remmag
it took way longer then said. they wanted to give me a crome moly bolt on a ss action. when my smith got it the wrong spring and fowller was in it didnt feed worth a sh?? so a scraped it at a loss thats the way it goes. my good buddy has a complete build in 22-250 mag box is over sized and the stock is slighty cantered to the right and there is a peice fo stock rolling around the butt end of the stock it sounds like a pebble rolling around if you tilt it up and down that is no bs!!

Who built the rifle? Unless MRC built the rifle it's kind of hard to fault them for the stockwork, inletting and rattle.

sidepass

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
mrc barreled it up and went across the raod to there stock guy lone wolf

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had two, here's the most recent in 300WSM, McMillan stock.
[Linked Image]
Weighs 8lbs 1oz "up".

Both barreled in Pac-Nor. Smith said both were as "square" an action as he had ever had.

I'd have another in a heartbeat.

This second one I bought of a poster on this board who said it had a problem with the safety. It was broken internally. Sent bolt to MRC and within a week it was back, repaired, and it was done free. Great action if you or your 'smith know what they are doing.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought one of their charter issue left hand SA chrome moly actions. (358 win)I had them do a little polishing both inside and out, square and fit the action to one of their barrels.I had Seregetti stock it and MRC glass it.
I could not be happier.
Excellent work, very accurate rifle,
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm a lefty as well. I have four rifles built on MRC 1999 actions; .416 Rem, .300 Winnie, 6.5 WSM and 6.5X55. Like most guns today, these actions typically need a little work out of the box to make them work the way you want them to. But for the price I don't think you're going to find a better CRF left-handed action.

I've had good luck with MRC barrels as well. They've been accurate and required very little break-in.

Pete

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have a Montana .375 Weatherby in an Echols-McMillan stock. After it was put together I had feeding problems with the fat cases. It would feed .375 H&H fine.

I took it to Roger Ferrell near Atlanta (who did NOT build the rifle). He windowed the magazine and installed a stronger magazine spring. It works fine now. I did not consider this a big deal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Others have already summed it up well. MRC will blame your gunsmith for any problems you have with their action...

Brian Sipe is a complete [bleep]...

And their smartest retards left there and started their own barrel shop across town with money borrowed from a car salesman.

DO NOT buy a barreled action from them. If you do buy an action, you'd be better off with a Douglass tube.

If your gunsmith has never done an MRC action, make sure he knows its going to be the biggest pain in the ass he'll ever have in his shop. My gunsmith won't even touch an MRC action for less than a grand...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+1 amen

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
old coyote glad you had the problem fixed .but if you think a feeding porblem is not a big deal on a 375 dg rifle thats a problem

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Huntr
How new?

I have two older ones that are just fine.They were not meant to be a plug and
play item.The price
reflected that.They needed to be cleaned up and polished.If you are a handy guy its no problem.The ones they make NOW are plug and play.I can`t give you a date as to when they started cleaning them up.but would say a new one is good to go.They are a little hefty ,but are ALL STEEL and have the good Winchester old style adjustable trigger,I bought a new stainless barrelled action in 6.5 x 55 about 3 mo.ago and dropped it in a McMillan stock I had.Its the shiznit!!!!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aren't these actions investment cast?

If you have to buy one, then pay a Smith to work it over, it seems you could purchae a higher quality action that needs no "fine tuning" for close to the same money.

I may be wrong, I guess it would depend on what the Smith charges to finish it. Seems like alot of headache to go that route.

JM

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
They are cast in the Pine Tree facility that Ruger built and utilizes, from what I have heard but I might be wrong.

Like any CRF action they need 'smithing to work correctly. It's not a rod in a sewer pipe design like a Rem 700 grin

Last edited by Oregon45; 02/06/10.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1OntarioJim, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,336
Posts18,526,767
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.