Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
a take off from my CZ thread. I was in a pawn shop a few years back and they had a heavy duty steel hubcab that had been shot with just about every pistol round you can think of. the 45 ACP was one of the few that didn't go through it, it just dented it badly. I was wondering if there is anyone else out here that thinks with modern bullets and modern high pressure loadings, that the 45acp might not be all that great a man stopper that it once was in comparison to lesser rounds.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Penetration of steel, ain't a measure of stopping ability.

The .45ACP, with quality JHPs, is STILL the king of the hill. It delivers a large frontal area to the target, with considerable mass, good penetration, excellent energy transfer, and SLOW enough to dump that energy in the target over a decent amount of time, while fast enough to hit hard.

The .45ACP remains on the top of my list to shoot at stuff with from a defensive handgun, and on the bottom of my list as far as handgun rounds I'd want to be shot at with.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
100 years of combat service for one thing.

Being housed in perhaps the perfect pistol also helps.

When you consider that the 45 ACP was intended to approximate the original black powder load of the 45 Colt adopted by the Army, you could say that we achieved perfection in lethality around 1873--a .452 projectile, 230-250gr in weight, at 750fps.

I like all cartridges, particularly when someone else is buying the ammo, but if I could only have one in a pistol, it'd be the 45. Not from the hype, but from the experience.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
First of all, that would depend on what load was shot at the hubcap, etc. Targer wadcutters, for instance, don't do nearly that well. Even the standard 230 gr. ammo can vary some. The last batch of WW, 230 gr. HP stuff I saw clocked just under 800 fps. Even the well regarded Federal Hydra-Shok clocked only about 850 fps. Step up to the +P style load or the old Western HD load, that's a 230 gr. bullet at 950 fps., and you have a different animal.
I've seen the 230 gr. HS HP shoot right through angled windshield glass with plenty left to do the job.
The other factor is recoil management. Even the old .45 ACP load is pretty tough or even too hard to handle for some folks. One of the reasons why the 40 S&W is so popular. The tradeoff being a high pressure, critical to load for round. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The "hype" isnt! It's a proven round.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .45 ACP does the job it was designed for reliably and consistently without a lot of fuss and muss. I doubt in a defensive scenario I have the need to stop a runaway hubcap. However, the reputation of about a century of knocking the fight outta bad guys gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I'm strapping the old warhorse cartridge.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
you can try to debate the 45 but if you don't shoot them and the others you want to compare it to your wasting time. go shot them and decide.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
The "hype" isnt! It's a proven round.

Exactly.

μολὼν λαβέ
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have a pal who shot a runaway hubcap once. It was attached to a stolen vehicle which was in the process of trying to run over several police officers in East St. Louis. My pal fired a scattergun with buckshot at a tire as he dodged the vehicle, blowing said hubcap off the vehicle and causing said vehicle to roll several times at high speed. The hubcap now hangs as a trophy in his garage.

Having said that... and back on topic... the 45 is a proven man-stopper. Period. No question. End of story.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Having said that... and back on topic... the 45 is a proven man-stopper. Period. No question. End of story.
Yep.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A lot of things that won't penetrate a hubcap will take all the fight out of a man right now.

A lot of the things that will penetrate a hubcap won't.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
... they had a heavy duty steel hubcab that had been shot with just about every pistol round you can think of. the 45 ACP was one of the few that didn't go through it, it just dented it badly.

Hmmm. Do you think if you'd shot a .45 ACP at the pawn shop owner's car door it would have penetrated or just bounced off?

I haven't tried it myself, but maybe one or two of the members here have shot a junker with one, and can say.

- Tom

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Eremicus
... The other factor is recoil management. Even the old .45 ACP load is pretty tough or even too hard to handle for some folks. One of the reasons why the 40 S&W is so popular. The tradeoff being a high pressure, critical to load for round. E

That's interesting to me, if I'm reading you right. I find the .45 easier to shoot than .40, relative to recoil. It's not in the same gun however and maybe that's part of it, but for me the .45 has been a pleasure, whereas I thought the .40 had more recoil.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The .45ACP remains on the top of my list to shoot at stuff with from a defensive handgun, and on the bottom of my list as far as handgun rounds I'd want to be shot at with.

Exactly.....

I read an article once that said that if a 200 lb man was running at you and you hit him in the chest with a 45 ACP round, the first thing to hit the ground would be the back of his head. I've never tested that but if it is true, there's a lot of energy going on.

I like the 45 ACP...

Elwood

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would rather shoot someone with a .45 than a 9mm.. Twice as much mass on the human body would seem to put a stop to whatever that guy was doing.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
There is something to this bussiness of "stopping power" from what I've seen. Know a cop who took a light target wadcutter 45 ACP round in the flax vest. Had to have help to get on his feet.
Took a report from another cop once that managed to shoot himself through the palm of his hand with a .38 special. While odviously it hurt, he lost only the use of his hand for a while.
In contrast, I know of another who managed to shoot himself in the same place with a .45 ACP. Dropped him to the ground. Suffered severe pain all the way to his shoulder from the impact.
Big difference, odviously. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Eremicus,
I believe the mental state of the victim accounts for the reaction you describe. Some people have that �fight or flight� thing very strong and are very hard to hurt. Others when they discover they are injured immediately begin to show signs of it. I�ve seen it many times and it is a curious thing.

The original owner of Second Chance Body Armor toured the country shooting himself with various handgun calibers into his company�s bullet resistant vest to prove that a person can not only survive a hit when wearing a vest, but also immediately stay up and in the fight. In these demonstrations he would don his body armor, turn the gun carefully on his torso, fire a shot into the vest he was wearing, then immediately turn the gun and empty it into a target. His favorite gun for these demos was a .44 Magnum revolver. He actually did this with a 7.62 NATO rifle ammo fired from a FN/FAL rifle. Of course he wore heavier armor designed for rifle rounds, but he stood on one leg and had his father shoot him in the chest with the .308 FMJ round and he barely wobbled! I have the video it is pretty amazing to watch how little the energy of the rifle actually affected his balance. I think this guys name was Richard Davis?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
Eremicus,
I believe the mental state of the victim accounts for the reaction you describe. Some people have that �fight or flight� thing very strong and are very hard to hurt. Others when they discover they are injured immediately begin to show signs of it. I�ve seen it many times and it is a curious thing.

The original owner of Second Chance Body Armor toured the country shooting himself with various handgun calibers into his company�s bullet resistant vest to prove that a person can not only survive a hit when wearing a vest, but also immediately stay up and in the fight. In these demonstrations he would don his body armor, turn the gun carefully on his torso, fire a shot into the vest he was wearing, then immediately turn the gun and empty it into a target. His favorite gun for these demos was a .44 Magnum revolver. He actually did this with a 7.62 NATO rifle ammo fired from a FN/FAL rifle. Of course he wore heavier armor designed for rifle rounds, but he stood on one leg and had his father shoot him in the chest with the .308 FMJ round and he barely wobbled! I have the video it is pretty amazing to watch how little the energy of the rifle actually affected his balance. I think this guys name was Richard Davis?
I've seen the video. I've always wondered if it was a full charge of powder, and if it was a soft lead bullet being fired into the vest.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Besides the history associated with it, the 45 ACP is just a good balance of power, diameter, and shootability for self defense. relatively low operating pressure keeps the report a tad milder too. I shoot the 9 and 40 too, but there is something very satisfying about the 45 ACPs sheer bullet size.

Barrier penetration isn't really it's strong suite though. I was shooting some 230gr ball through a 55 gal drum one day, it penetrated the first side, dented the far side, and fell in the drum.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .45 may be slow, but don't worrry it will get to its target.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (12344mag, 270cowboy, 1lesfox, 44mc, 35, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,103 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,421
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.