Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How many times should you experience african hunting (plains game)before hunting for cape buffalo? What caliber rifle do you recommend for buffalo? What are some of your stories & experiences w/ the Cape Buffalo?

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Don't hunt them, not once, because of you do you will be back to do it again and again. I think one plains game hunt, and then the buff.
As for caliber .375 is the legal standard minimum

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DanD
Don't hunt them, not once, because of you do you will be back to do it again and again. I think one plains game hunt, and then the buff.

Agree 100%, but check out the rifle on this buffalo (it;s not me)

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
alot of countries 375 is min cal. has for how many times tough to answer. how well can you handle pressure,and dangerous encounters and how well do you shoot under those conditions when the shot is fired its way to late to find out you are are not up to the task people get hurt or die.not saying that all the shooting and reading,watching videos you do something can still go wrong but helps to know what you got youre self into before its to late

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm someone who thinks it is NOT imperative that you hunt plains game first before buffalo. My one and only trip to Africa was for Buff and plains game and I don't believe it caused my PH any pause. We went right out and got after the buff the first day. I think as long as you're an experienced hunter who is used to stalking animals on foot and can get on an animal quickly once the animal is spotted, then you'll do OK. If your only experience is hunting out of a tree stand for whitetails, then I'd do some other hunting first, before trying cape buff. Buff can be dangerous, yes, and you must be careful, but your PH won't let you get into too much trouble. Therefore, I wouldn't let inexperience on African game animals stop you from hunting buff first, if that is what you truly desire to do. If your PH thinks you lack experience, he might have you concentrate on plains game first to see how you do and to get your feet wet. I think as long as you're honest with your PH on your hunting experience, he'll be able to guide you to a good buff and you'll not have any issues.

As for which caliber rifle, that is up to you and how you shoot. As others have said, .375 H&H or Ruger, et.al are the bare minimum for legal hunting in most places and what most PH's recommend for hunters inexperienced with big bore rifles. The .375's are enough to get the job done and are mild enough that most hunters can learn to shoot them well. Most PH's and experienced buff hunters contend that the .416's seem to "hit" buff harder with a more profound effect upon impact. Similarly as you go up to the .45's and above. Of course, the recoil goes up as the caliber goes up, so the best recommendation would be to shoot the rifle/cartridge combination that you can handle the best. I like the .416 best myself, although I also have .375's that I wouldn't hesitate to use with the correct bullet. For a client hunter, I don't think you need to use anything larger than a .416 for any game, but then again, there are plenty of guys who love the .458's and shoot them all the time and shoot them well. It's just whatever rocks your boat and gives you confidence.

Hope that helps some.
Test

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Agree 100%, but check out the rifle on this buffalo (it;s not me)

[Linked Image]

Jorge

That looks like a 303 Jungle Carbine!!!!!!!!! With Sharpie, no less...................

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I did two plains game hunts. One in RSA and one in Namibia before going to Zim for buff. 375-416 are plenty of gun.

My personal choice for my next hunt will be the 416 Ruger built on a custom Model 70.

Begin researching early. Also check out the AR forum.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've haven't hunted Buff' as of yet, for two reasons;

1.I'm right handed, but extremely cross eye dominant, so shooting a RH bolt off my left shoulder makes for a very slow second shot........which would necessitate the PH taking the follow up shot. And I can't justify buying a double for a single hunt.

2.I'm a typical "'roo shooter" as we say here in Oz........I can't just mentally justify the big trophy fee for ONE animal, when I can shoot a truckload of PG for the same money...suppose I'm just a cheap bastard, really. blush grin grin

As to calibre; well a mate of mine shot some culls in Moz' with a 338WM and 250XFB's.......3 shots, 3 kills.

If I was to overcome my inherent "cheapness", I'd probably use a 375 with a heavy for calibre soft point, as in a 350gr Woodleigh or 380gr Rhino. A lot of PH's I've spoken to like that combo............

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a #1 MK IV and yes that is John Sharp. It's the only PH I hunt with! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
He's evidently a really good bloke..........

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As for me, the plains game animals were not that interesting to me. Went for Buff and Ele from day one and booked many who did the same. Go hunt for what you want to hunt for. As much gun as you can shoot accurately from the 9.3x62 on up. Just GO!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I see absolutly no reason to "cut your teeth on plainsgame" if you want to hunt buffalo then go hunt buffalo or elephant or whatever...thats like saying one must shoot a rabbit, then a turkey, then a javalina in order to go deer hunting...It makes no since..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

LOL... Be sure to use a clean needle. You'll be hooked for life. crazy

Start with buffalo, if you wish. If you are a proficient hunter in general, there is no reason not to go right after the brass ring. wink

Last edited by luv2safari; 02/07/10.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I could hunt nothing but buffalo the rest of my life and die a happy man. Every time I've hunted them I keep thinking "How can I afford to do this again?". You only have so many kidneys to sell.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
hell of a bull. is that the same gun with the hippo pic?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same rifle, but it was a 375HH for the hippo. I later had Mark Penrod re-barrel it to 416 Rem for the buffalo. Since this picture, it has an Echols stock and iron sights - that couldn't be done in time to take it to Africa that trip.

Jeff

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by luv2safari

LOL... Be sure to use a clean needle. You'll be hooked for life. crazy

eek Another reason, I've sub-consciously stayed away from them! grin

I'm bad enough with Kudu.......14 so far!! crazy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Blair338RUM

Dooooood....I thought I was bad...... wink

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Blair338RUM

Dooooood....I thought I was bad...... wink

Ingwe

wink

It's that Aussie 'roo shooter thingy! grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1OntarioJim, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 1234, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,506
Posts18,530,298
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.