-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi I am new here and need help. I am in the market for a lever action in 45 LC. The need for this gun is SASS cowboy action shooting. But I do not know much about this kind of gun. Would like good and bad about the different ones that are out their. I am not looking for a original but a modern day copy. Thanks for any hepl. divemaster

GB1

D
D
Howdy! CAS is my favorite sport. I use a Marlin .45 Colt Cowboy, and love it. I have a Marble Tang sight installed, and wouldn't recommend any other sight.<P>Rossi makes (Made?) a nice copy of the 92 winchester, and Winchester themselves makes a 92 again, although very pricey.<P>There are other replicas available too, for more info on Cowboy shootin', try SASSnet.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try a Navy Arms(Rossi) M92 in 45LC. I got one coming this week, in stainless. Took a while to find it, they are in such a big demand by the CAS sports folks, that I finally will be getting one is a maricle. LSI (Legacy Sports) has the Puma(Rossi) leverguns, as well. ~~~Suluuq

D
D
D/Master<P>Kind of depends on how deep your pockets are and what time period you are trying to reinact. A brace of cap n ball pistols wouldn't go to well with a 94 Winchester (although nobody would mind) because by the 1890's not to many cow-pokes were carrying 58 Remingtons. I bought an Uberti 1873 Winchester before I ever heard about CASS (80's)and it's been a very good gun. It's a little heavy and not quite as fast as a Marlin but it's really accurate and I love the "klink---klink" noise it makes as you jack the rounds through it. It is also an exceptional black powder shooter, deep rifling. I saw a 24" 73 in Cabellas for about 700.00, for that kind of money you could get a nice Marlin/Win 92-94 and reasonable six gun, isn't making gun choices fun?<P>I'm not really (Up) on the newer Winchesters or Rossi's but I have a number of Marlins and it's hard to find a bad one. <P>D

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks everone for taking the time to reply. This will give me a place to start. divemaster

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hi divemaster.I just got a Marlin 45LC Cowboy.It handles and looks even better than i imagined.The only thing i don't care for is the rear "batwing" Marble sight.I am going to get a Tang sight for it very soon.The Marlin(Cowboy model) looks very authentic and original.~~~~~tom

B
bg Offline
B
Rusty-Gunn, just curious, After reading your respnse, you indicated that there was an affiliation between Navy Arms and Rossi. Just curious. I just posted a message on getting a peep sight, but clicked the wrong button and started a new subject. Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bg... yes, Navy Arms has a contract with Rossi for their model 92 leverguns. On my "short rifle" the top tang has Navy Arms, whereas the bottom has the Rossi name stamped there. My rifle is a very nice one, not like some of the negative posts I've read concerning sticky actions, poor metal-stock fitting, bad wood, etc. I love this one, and don't intend to part with it. <BR>I did see your post on peep sights, and have wondered the same thing, but on my rifle there are no drilled/tapped holes for a peep sight that I am aware of. I favor a square notch rear and a patridge front sight anyway. Good luck on the pep sights. ~~~Suluuq

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
nobody mentioned the Winchester '94 Trails End in .45 colt, so I will.....I have one and it is extremely accurate, and looks good too...gutpile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, Akhutr, 7 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,226
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.