-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Hey Rusty-Gunn,<P> I was gone for a couple of weeks, Thanks for the reply regarding lasercast bullets. Since then, Ive found Hawk Bullets web site. Was there any discussion on these bullets in leverguns? (how 'bout nosler's partition) The hollow points should negate primer popping in the magazine right? I read the quote from G. Sittons article on their page. Looks like a devastating bullet!!! They may be a bit soft for the big bears, but then I just live around these tiny cuddly black bears ;-). Anyways, Thanks again!!!<P>B/C

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B/C... I have zero experience with Hawk bullets, but have heard excellent results with them, from people with actual experience. <BR>As to hollow points, its not the meplat (or hollow meplat) that causes the potential problems, but the edge of the meplat. The problem comes from the cartridge that sits in the load gate area, with the front half of it sitting in the recess area of the magazine tube, that causes it to sit at an angle, with it's meplat edge in contact with the primer in front of it. A hollow point has an edge, so it may cause such a problem, in theory. Bullets with a very large meplat, .360 or larger Sundles/Garrett suggests, will move the meplat away from primer contact, or away enough to reduce the chance of a problem. The LaserCast bulets have about a .300 meplat, a very narrow one. Thats why I may go to a different bullet or file down the meplat to flatten it some. In my own experiences, I have NOT had a problem with LaserCasts as long as the load was lower then 1800 feet per second. I don't claim to know that 1800 is the majic number, but it has worked for me. I still would use a larger meplat in my leverguns. I hope this helps. ~~~Suluuq

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let me continue... Should you remove the front stock fore end, you will notice a bulge in the magazine tube near the action, on the left side. This bulge allows the cartridge to load into the load gate properly, it allows it it "turn into" the mag tube. A cartidge nose will sit in the recess and give primer contact.<BR>El-John-O has an excellent way to help prevent this, with his invention, which I think Marlin should adopt (pay him royalties). He cuts a feller guage to the right width, about a quarter inch, then cuts two slots on either end of the bulge, and slides the feeler guage into it, across the bulge. He attaches one end permantly to the mag tube. This allows the feller guage to "bridge" the bulge, and keep the cartridge going straight in the tube, yet will flex to load cartridges. And no primer contact! ~~~Suluuq

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks Rusty, <P> That is a great idea about the mag tube fix!!! I don't think I'll be loading cartridges too hot for my Marlin since I'll be stayin' in the lower 48 (unless lil' country wins lotto) so I should be okay with the Hawks or Noslers I hope. Hope the weather is treating you guys okay waaaaaaay up there!<P>Thanks again,<P>B/C<P><BR>p.s.: Now that you have that new stainless levergun en-route... you don't plan on changin' your handle again do ya???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B/C... well, as of today the levergun hasn't come in. Looks like Tuesday may be the lucky day. This wait is just killing me!<BR>I wouldn't worry too much about the bullets, they all have a good track record, its just when the loads are very high, and the right (wrong?) situation comes, then the problem may occur. <BR>BTW you can also cut a few slots, or drill some holes on the top of the mag tube for escaping-gas venting. The slots/holes would be directly under the barrel, away from view, but with clearence to vent. Or one can direct them at an angle, upwards, like porting. This would eliminate the fore arm from bursting under escaping gases, should the mag tube blow apart. Less damage to rifle/hand. ~~~Suluuq

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,505
Posts18,472,278
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.