Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
What's the best peep sight's you all have found. I have the Ghost Ring Setup from Wild West Guns on my 450 Marlin, and while I like this setup. I think the peep hole is way too large. I believe it's .187 or there-abouts. Do you all know of any with inter-changeable peep holes? Or maybe some of you have come up with your own solutions. What's your opinions?<P>Phil

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm looking for peep sight info too. I have a spanky new 1895G. Peeps just seem like the right thing to do. Anybody want to recommend a brand and what can I expect to pay for these things anyway?

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only one I have used is the Williams. I like it, and it has interchangeable disks available with different I.D. and O.D. I haven't tried the Lyman ones, but posters at the old board spoke highly of them. The Williams ones are made of aluminum, which some didn't like, and the Lyman ones are or were(I don't know)made of steel.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Williams reciever sight on my Model 94 Trapper. I bought Williams simply because they're a Michigan firm and supportive of hunting and conservation (not environmental) groups. No complaints. None. It was easy to install and it works.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Although I do have a rifle with a Lyman peep sight, I have not shot it yet. The peep sight I am interested in is the Ashley Ghost ring sight. It is made of steel, with out the "ears" for protection, which I'm not sure is entirely required. Of, course, I don't have experience with the Ashley either, and hoping others with actual experience will say a few words about them. The Ashley gets my vote. ~~~Suluuq

IC B2

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Suluug, I have the Ashley on a Marlin 1894 44 mag. Just had it put on this year and have not shot it much but do like the look and feel of it. Used both their peep and front sight and it was dead on at 50 yards when installed. Only shot I had was on a large Bob Cat and he is at the taxidermists now, so I guess it works just fine. Anyway, I like it. TM

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have the Williams 5D rear peep sight and a front Firesight for the front. The hole on the std 5D peep was too large for accurate shooting over 50 yards...but was developed for quick shots in low light against possibly dangerous game...in this respect it accels...you do not even notice the sight when snapping the rifle up quickly...it is just there.<BR>I ordered another peep from Williams also...it is their smallest or next to smallest diameter hole. A vast improvement for bright light accuracy or while on the range. It still will not give you the accuracy of a scope but will allow3-4inch groups at 100 yards or maybe a bit more with a good rest. My only problem is that the front fiber optic totally covers the standard NRA target...I am goint to draw a larger target and put a crosshair over the bullseye so I can see the vertical and horizontal lines around the front sight...and see what kind of difference it makes.<BR>I was originally wanting the AO Ghost ring but went with the Williams. The williams is removable with a set screw so you can remove it for shipping and then reinstall and go back to the exact zero you originally set. Also, I like the aluminum peeps...even if you get moisture in them while afield...they will not rust. I did not know they were aluminum but knew the finish prevented rust on the entire sight.<BR>If you want more info drop me a line...<P><P>------------------<BR>keep em sharp,<P>ron herman

keep em sharp,<P>ron herman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about tang mounted peep sights? I am going to be getting a Marlin 1895G and have been looking at the Lyman tang sight. Anybody have any experience with them?<P>------------------<BR>Stush

Stush
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In addition to Lyman, an outfit called Marble Arms (right here in da U. P.)makes a tang mounted sight for Marlins and Winchesters. I don't if or how they adjust for windage. The standard aperature for the Williams FP sight is .93". .150, .125. and a small one, .050 are also available. The standard o.d. is 3/8", and 1/2 and 5/8 are also available. It may not be a practicle difference, but what put me off from the Ashley was 1)the price, 2) the necessity for their front sight, and 3)the 1 moa adjustment vs. the 1/4 moa adjustment.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used the Williams Foolproof model for about 32 years on my 10/22 and several Marlins and Winchesters. I like the way the adjustments are locked in place by the set screws. The Foolproof sits nice and low on lever guns and on the older models there is a screw that comes down from the right side to lock against the receiver - makes for a VERY solid sight, very hard to bump out of whack.<P>Also the adjustment clicks are very accurate and repeatable. Their adjustment distance on target however will vary with the sight radius distance. Just learn what that is and note it for future reference.<P>Have also used the Williams guide sight on a .308 Model 700 and a winchester 9422. This mounts on the scope base screws of rifles drilled and tapped for same, and there is a model with a tip-off groove for .22's. The Guide model is okay but it sits up kind of high and doesn't look as nice as the Foolproof, looks kind of vulnerable sitting up there all alone as well. Also it is free adjustable, that is no clicks, just undo a set screw, push the aperture up or sideways and lock down the set screw.<P>Most references for peeps tell you to throw away the screw in aperture and use that "ghost ring" that is left. That is okay but you end up with a real "ghost" ring, i.e. almost invisible. What I have done on most of my Williams is to take a drill bit, not sure of the size, but it is just barely a friction fit in the threaded tube of the aperture piece when inserted from the BACK. Drill out the flat face of the aperture to the same diameter as this tube and this gives a nice big hole to let lots of light through, but still leaves a nice outline to provide a good aiming reference ring. This setup is accurate enough to head shoot squirrels at 75 yards or thereabouts in the dimmer light of forests, if your eyes are youthful and sharp enough for this.<P>I've seen the Ashley in pictures. Looks like a well made sight but it seems to share the same flaw as the Wiliams Guide, it sits up too high on the receiver. Apparently though it is very secure and sturdy.<P>One last thing - use a blade front sight with your peeps if you can. I know bead sights are about all you can find nowadays, and for deer hunting on your 30-30 it is the berries,you just throw it up and cover that spot on the deer where you want to hit. But white beads are the pits for any kind of precision work. They shine in the sun and that round aiming point is deceptive. Your eye wants to center the bead in the rear sight and then put the target on top of the bead. This is wrong. You want your aiming point in the center of the rear ring. Witha post you do this and set the centered aiming point resting on top of the post. Note the front sights on M-16's and M1's - the Army knows what's what with peep sights. Unfortunately, there aren't many post front sights made. I found a source of original Redfield Sourdough front sights and snapped up about 4 or 5 of them in different heights. They get put on any gun I put a peep sight on.<P>Another other option is to get a Marbles front sight - they make a sturdy replacement bead sight in many heights. Figure out the height you want and then add the diameter of the bead. Then when you get the sight file of the bead and voila, a post front sight. Kind of a waste and only to be used if you absolutely can't find a good post front sight. I have those Sourdoughs so haven't perused the front sight market in recent years.<p>[This message has been edited by Jim in Idaho (edited February 12, 2001).]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tang sights... my cousin has a S 45-70 Sharps 45-70 copy, with a tang sight. His has all the adjustments, like the Quigley model, so we were able to zero the load to hit a target at an estimated 400 yards(but estimations are not always correct.) We would hit the target with regularity after we zeroed it, but of course, ran out of ammo by then. The tang sight works like a ghost ring, only closer to the eye. The thing I don't like about it, was the large peep the size of a dime(with a tiny hole in the center). This covered the whole area we wee looking at, at that distance, but could see it in the peep hole. I like a ghost ring if possible, as I like to see around the target(field of view). ~~~Suluuq

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am going to pick up my 1895G on Wednesday. I have decided to order the Marble tang sight for it. I will report back here after I have taken it for a test run. Heck, its only money - they'll probably send me more in two weeks ;-)<P>------------------<BR>Stush

Stush

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 10Glocks, 35, 1OntarioJim, 12 invisible), 1,645 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,122
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.