Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can tell you that I wass just on it for my broken leg. I did not like the way it made me feel but it sure did take my pain away. basically made me sleep for a week striaght.

It was not hard to get off of in fact there are still some pills in the bottom of the bottle and I do not here them calling my name.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Originally Posted by 175rltw
"looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking"

Classic movie! laugh

I could watch it a hundred times, and catch something different that I missed before....

What movie? Sounds familiar, but I can't place it.

I didn't understand a word you said, but whatever it was I'm right there with you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My oldest friend, a guy who served in the samr division in 'Nam and who I was a cop with got cancer from the good old Agent Orange. He was on OC for the last 6 months of his life and it made the pain bearable at least. Pain management in terminally ill folks should leave no stone unturned. As for the rest of us ...STAY THE [bleep] AWAY FROM OC!!!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was on OC after the last shoulder surgery a couple years ago. Never had much pain, but sure did like the pills. Cut them in half and took one around 8:30 or 9 every evening till the scrip ran out. Very mellow feeling. Easy to see how it could be addictive.

I didn't understand a word you said, but whatever it was I'm right there with you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Classic movie! laugh

I could watch it a hundred times, and catch something different that I missed before....

well the sniffing glue/ paint thinner line in the post previous to mine brought it to mind! glad someone caught the reference!

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Wildlife

Classic movie! laugh

What movie? Sounds familiar, but I can't place it.

Airplane was the movie.

I'd tell the parents. Maybe their influence can get the girl off the stuff.

The stuff has been around a long time, but abuse of it has been prevelant (around here) only for the last 15 years or so. I've had it for an impacted tooth, I didn't like it at all. Kept me awake instead of making me sleep.

There are doctors who make their living writing scripts for the stuff. Most do not, however. I believe it's a Schedule II narcotic.

The drug company could put stuff in the drug, I THINK, to prevent it from being injected. They do this with Dialaudid. But someone would probably figure out a way around it.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To answer the original question:

It feels great, no, it feels fantastic. Absolutely no worries at all, the world is a happy, mellow place. If you're a happy sort of drinker you could compare it to that feeling of elation from the third beer or second shot before you start feeling confused and physically impaired. Except it feels better. That's why people do it.

They don't do it to get constipated or shut down the GI tract, which also happens really badly after any general anesthesia. BTW, eat apples and broccoli to get and keep things moving, and the opiate will keep your sh*t so solid you won't ever need but two squares of toilet paper and those just for an inspection wipe.

But it is a narcotic for a fact. I don't know how long it takes to get addicted, it varies with the person, but apparently about 7 days of use is enough to establish the physical addiction. Once you are on it getting off of it is hell. Lots worse than quitting cigarettes. Lots worse.

As to your ethical decision, the golden rule always seems to the best yardstick. How would you want the other person's parents to treat you if the situation was reversed? Think of that and then go with what your heart tells you and that will be the right choice for you.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can tell you anything you want to know about Oxycotin. It caused me to spend 5 days in jail and cost me a bunch of money for attorney's fees and probation fees and other types of legal fees.

I am nearly 70 years old and I didn't need this stress.

You see, my 38 year old son got hooked on Oxycotin. A perscription from one Dr. was not enough, so he went Dr. shopping.

He lost his job, his wife left him and took their kids. He lost his house, car, couldn't or wouldn't work.

Two years ago, I took him in because he was homeless. The deal was, no Oxycotin or alcohol. After a few months of sneaking the drugs and alcohol and I caught him, he got mad at me and reported me to the police for a bunch of stuff. The police, in their typical through investigation arrested me, taking the word of a drunk and alcoholic, who was both drunk and high on drugs when the police arrived, and plus he was running around outside brandishing the butcher knife that he had a few minutes before tried to kill me with.

Of course, the city's finest did not notice that. Instead of arresting the drunk, they arrested a nearly 70 year old man, who in the past has had two heart attacks, has a pacemaker, and has other illnesses.

The lawyers I retained said that if it went to trial, the jury would believe my son and the police and I was looking at 20 years in jail because I defended myself against a much younger and larger man when he attempted to kill me.

So, I pleaded guilty to a reduced charge.

So, ask me about Oxycotin. Also ask me about trying to support or give aid or to help someone who is addicted to it. As me what will happen to you if you try to help a drug addict. I know all about it. Ask me what happens when the drug addict gets mad at you and reports you to a bunch of retarded cops who share the same brain.

I know a lot about that, too. I also know that for the past two years, he has been in and out of jails several times and has been kicked out of several homeless shelters because he could not function while taking the drugs, nor would he listen to anyone when they tried to get him to come off them. That is what he got mad at me about.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have had a script for Methadone for over 3 years now. 10mg twice a day as needed. I have never once got any kind of a buzz from using them. There are many days when I only use half dosing. I do not like the idea of having to take any kind of pills, but if I don't, within 6 hours I am rolled up in a ball on the bed and unable to contribute anything. My level of pain shuts me down completely, and I have e very high threshold for pain.

It was my understanding from both my doctor and my Rx, that , because of the high amount of chronic pain that I have, I will not get any kind of a high from using this med. It is safer and cheaper than the synthetic morphine (daladid), morphine, and Fentanyl patches that I was prescribed before finally getting to the Methadone. Methadone and "Meth" made in home labs are not to be confused as the same thing.

My doc and Rx also told me that using Methadone was like getting hit with a snowball, and my prior meds were like getting hit with a cannon ball, as far as the long-term effects on my liver/body, etc.

I wish I did not have the pain, but that's the way it is. I've got to keep living, as long as I have life.

Methadone, as mentioned before, is also used to help junkies get off of heroin.

You can probably tell from my posting here, that using this med has really affected my ability to communicate effectively. My spelling and punctuation has deteriorated terribly. What would my professors think?

Your daughters friend is in for a nightmare ride. I hope you can counsel your daughter to stop seeing this girl. You will see a dramatic change in her (your daughter's friend) very quickly if she is using this junk.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would also add, that my doc also prescribed Hydrocodone for me for a year. I never finished the first script, and never had it re-filled. I would like for my liver to outlive me, thank-you. I despise pills, and only take what is necessary to get me up and moving. I have a family that needs me, and I need to do all that I can for them. There are also many things that I like to do, and I will not spend my days laying around in a bed if I can help it.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tell them they need to know.And let us know how it turned out with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
I can tell you that I wass just on it for my broken leg. I did not like the way it made me feel but it sure did take my pain away. basically made me sleep for a week striaght.

It was not hard to get off of in fact there are still some pills in the bottom of the bottle and I do not here them calling my name.

this depends on the person.....i have never take OxyContin but have been on percocet which is the same drug in a smaller dose.....is it addictive? yes most defiantly physically, for me though not mentally as i do not have an addictive personality, that isnt saying it cant be in some individuals....as for the physical addiction the real key is wanting to quit.....ive gotten fed up with the side effects on more than one occasion and quit them cold turkey......it royally sucks, for me its a 3 day hangover but half way through the third day im feeling ok....if someone wants to be treated for the addiction, physically it isnt THAT hard to kick if you truly wanted to, would it be rough? yes but it is far from impossible...i dont recommend going cold turkey like i tend to do when i get pissed but over a few weeks, 2 months at most you can wean your self off the drugs, even heavy use if your truly want to.....

the problem is for most the mental addiction that some have....im told a full rapid hit from smoked Oxy or a injection of heroin is one of the best feelings you can have, far better than sex and honestly plenty of ppl have no interest in giving it up.....that be the main problem....

Last edited by rattler; 02/09/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My wife uses it because of pain from several motor vehicle accidents that she been in over the years. She can not take a full pill or it makes her feel ill, she cuts them into quarters and uses a quarter at a time.

" I will follow the path of others some of the time, but most of the time, I perfer to make my own path."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't read all this but this is the drug Limbaugh got addicted too. He lost his hearing.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff

From the reading I have done since starting this thread, taken in its intended form it is not dangerous (other than addiction), it is once you crush the pill, this alters the timed release and overpowers the user with a flash dose.

Now burn it, shoot it, inhale fumes from it, or just digesting it in crushed form, is where the true trouble starts.

wouldnt say it isnt dangerous even taken as directed......opiate use, even legally used has side effects, large doses like OxyContin even more so.....care must most defiantly be taken but if used under normal doctor supervision no their use isnt a huge risk.....the risk major risk comes in finding away around the time release as you say which moves the person from the patient category to a drug user category in my mind......plenty of ppl taking Oxy that are addicted to it but the fact of the matter is the docs prolly havent come up with a better pain relief strategy.....

i am addicted to my pain meds but i am not nor have i ever used opiates recreationally.....actually i have been cutting down the amounts i take severely over the last couple years....i am now on much milder but still opiate pain killers compared to what i was once on for the simple fact i dont care for them and have sought various physical therapy techniques to help me out, but not taking them at all is far worse than dealing with the side effects at the moment.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My pain management guy wanted to put me on that, or vicoden, I said hell no. He said it won't be a problem, I said hell no. I'll live with some pain first. People in my family get addicted to crap easily, I have always stepped around that fact. Thank God for the TENS unit.

I told the doc, what if I get in a shooting incident? The first thing they will do is send me for a piss test. That crap is in my system. While I might not get disiplined for it, I can hear the attorneys words "Diminished Capacity".

I did take Vicoden for two days, then poured it down the toilet. I had firearms qualification two days after that and I reported that I had taken the drug before the training started. In writing, up front, hide nothing.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crosshair
My pain management guy wanted to put me on that, or vicoden, I said hell no. He said it won't be a problem, I said hell no. I'll live with some pain first. People in my family get addicted to crap easily, I have always stepped around that fact. Thank God for the TENS unit.

I told the doc, what if I get in a shooting incident? The first thing they will do is send me for a piss test. That crap is in my system. While I might not get disiplined for it, I can hear the attorneys words "Diminished Capacity".

I did take Vicoden for two days, then poured it down the toilet. I had firearms qualification two days after that and I reported that I had taken the drug before the training started. In writing, up front, hide nothing.

that would be a decent reason to avoid.....however keep in mind say you have major knee surgery or similar they can be an important part of rehab.....if your hurting to bad to complete physical therapy you can wind up crippled.....unfortunatly i am a chronic pain patient and dont have much choice....dont mind spikes in pain....i can grit my teeth through them as good and prolly better than most.....its the schit that on a 1-10 pain scale sits at a 4 or 5 all day everyday for months on end....the spikes are easy to get through sans meds....that constant lower pain level can drive your arse batchit crazy....

got no problem with those that refuse but some of us dont have alot of choice in the matter...went the gritting my teeth route, after 6 months i was ready to put myself out of my misery....i do not like opiates, do not like the fact i have to take them more or less atleast once a day to function....but the alternative is far worse.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aside from the issues with the daughter's friend, this has been a very interesting thread.
That is, I find it curious that so many people have experienced so many different and seemingly contradictory effects whilst taking oxycontin.
In my case, it certainly helps the pain, helps me to sleep, and ties up my digestive system.

The human body is sure complex.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never understood the addiction part...I've taken Percocet many times (have had many knee surgeries) and after about two days of that crap, I'm ready to just grin and bear the pain for a while. I can't believe people pay good money to feel that bad.

Sure you get euphoric and feel great for the first couple of doses, but after that, this over all funk and malaise creeps up on you and next thing you know, you feel like crap. Guess I'm lucky to have enough sense to know what's causing it.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I had rotater cuff surgery yesterday. My doctor gave me a prescription for HYDROCODONE-APAP 5-500. I was prescribed the same thing a couple of years ago for a back injury and it had no effect whatsoever on the pain. When I got home I took a HYDROCODONE and an antibiotic capsule. I rememdered the constipation problem so I took a big dose of laxative and stool softener with the medication. I've taken 4 HYDROCODONE tablets each time with the poop movers. I'm through with the HYDROCODONE. It has no effect on the pain.. The pain in my shoulder is an aching pain kind of like a bad toothache but I can tolerate it. I've been eating a lot of fruit, salads, oatmeal and drank gallons of water. In spite of all this my GI tract is locked up big time. I called the nurse at the hospital and she said I was doing all the right things. Any other suggestion? Thanks.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

251 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 257 roberts, 28 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,652
Posts18,512,756
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.