-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Been looking at 'em hard. They're due out soon. I've been a diesel man, but the 6.2 gas engine looks mean and a heckuva lot cheaper.

Anybody considering one in this first model year with the new tranny and new engines? New models tend to have.....ummmm.....bugs. Think Ford will screw the pooch with the new 6.7 Scorpion Powerstroke like they (and International) did with the 6.0 in 2003?

I will miss the manual 6-speed tranny!!!

WhiskeyMan

Confucious say.....he who angers you.....controls you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think you'll see the same problems. I was thinking about a new crummy this year but I decided to wait for the 11 models.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Is that the one with the Urea injection? Or the re-gen? My pards 2010 is kinda' stinky and annoying....considering the custom rig with the "whatever super duper lifted custom dealer pack" was 55G's+. Nice rig but......he's only getting 8-10 with the sails up.

Last edited by AcesNeights; 02/09/10.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yep. When I started buying diesels, I liked 'em cuz they were much simpler than gas engines. I don't think that's the case anymore at all. My 2005 6.0 Powerstroke has something like 23 sensors and soooo many gadgets that I can't even see the block. It runs great, but it seems to me that things have really changed and reverting to gas may be the way to go for reliability.

Last edited by WhiskeyMan; 02/09/10.

WhiskeyMan

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WhiskeyMan
Yep. When I started buying diesels, I liked 'em cuz they were much simpler than gas engines. I don't think that's the case anymore at all. My 2005 6.0 Powerstroke has something like 23 sensors and soooo many gadgets that I can't even see the block. It runs great, but it seems to me that things have really changed and reverting to gas may be the way to go.

Diesel in boats seems to make sense for # of reasons...trucks not so much anymore. BIG HEAVY towing......all the time is about the only way to justify it in mind.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think the manufacturers have ruined a good thing by always striving for more h.p. and torque, instead of striving for more economy, in trucks that did just fine with 2/3 the power.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
I think the manufacturers have ruined a good thing by always striving for more h.p. and torque, instead of striving for more economy, in trucks that did just fine with 2/3 the power.

Yep, there are definitely hp and torque wars going on that have perverted the engine scene in big pickups. I agree with your assessment.

I like the new electric locker in the rear differential option. 'Bout time for this terrific performance option, huh?

WhiskeyMan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had an 03 and currently an 06 PSD. Both trucks have been beasts when it comes to towing and no problems with either. I'm waiting for the 11 but don't know if I can stomach the 55k.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/ford/0911dp_2011_ford_f350_super_duty/index.html

I Burn While I See
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

You can buy a F150 if you don't need the bigger truck.

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/09/10.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mac84
I had an 03 and currently an 06 PSD. Both trucks have been beasts when it comes to towing and no problems with either. I'm waiting for the 11 but don't know if I can stomach the 55k.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/ford/0911dp_2011_ford_f350_super_duty/index.html

Saw on a Ford truck forum the other night where a guy ordered a crew cab King Ranch 2011 F-250 with 6.7 Powerstroke for.......$62k! Holy cow.....this almost caused me to vapor lock and definitely caused a few nights of insomnia. $62k for a diesel pickup.....HOLY SHEET!

WhiskeyMan

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had a 1999 superduty diesel when the new body style came out. The tranny was the bug that needed worked out. I lost reverse at 1200 miles. On the way to the dealer I lost fourth gear.
They installed a brand new tranny. Seems they were having quite a bit of trouble with the new trans model. The only other thing I had a problem with was the bolts backing out of the exhaust side of the turbo. I loved that truck but haven't been able to justify a diesel due to the cost and no real load to pull.
Bob

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mac84

Geeze....my 99.5 7.3 Powerstroke is still motoring along. Of course non-commercial type of use....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by WhiskeyMan
Been looking at 'em hard. They're due out soon. I've been a diesel man, but the 6.2 gas engine looks mean and a heckuva lot cheaper.

Anybody considering one in this first model year with the new tranny and new engines? New models tend to have.....ummmm.....bugs. Think Ford will screw the pooch with the new 6.7 Scorpion Powerstroke like they (and International) did with the 6.0 in 2003?

I will miss the manual 6-speed tranny!!!

The auto will have a manual "lock out in each gear", meaning you can select, or lock out, the transmission from shifting.

The 6.2 will develop more horsepower, but less torque than the 6.8L V10 gas engine. It's approximately 5% more "efficient"; however, that will be affected by the consumer/driver (meaning, gearing, load, towing, etc. will effect overall mileage). The current V10 produces 90% of it's torque at 1500 RPM, the "new" 6.2L will develop 90% of it's torque at (I think) about 2500 RPM. The six-speed automatic transmission though will make it feel a lot more powerful (which it does have more horsepower than the prior gas engines or diesel throughout the RPM range).

If you're specifically concerned about the new 6.2L gas engine check out this thread (a Ford engineer is answering direct questions)

Ask THE engineer directly about the NEW 6.2L Ford GAS engine

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 2000 7.3 PowerStroke. Neve rhad the first problem with it. I paid right around $25k for it new.

I also have a 2008 Chevy 1/2 ton. I don't think I'll ever buy another 1/2 ton because new 3/4 tons are the 1/2 tons of old etc....

The new 1/2 tons are just too freaking light/light duty because they fall into different regulation controls.

I haven't run the numbers on a new one but when I bought my 2000 the difference in mileage between gas and diesel was huge and the price difference got paid off in about 40,000 miles - not to mention other benefits like better towing, and not stopping to get gas on trips as often etc...

Last edited by NathanL; 02/09/10.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My '99 F150 is basically a big 4x4 car(that can still hit 100 once in awhile). Which is all I need!

The F350SuperDuty is a different beast.

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/09/10.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Dont know ? do you guys have Toyota Troopcarriers over there .
They are expensive but man that v8 diesel is awesome. With twin air lockers and winch they will go anywhere a truck could go..I plan to get one next year then just keep it for 20 years .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just purged the last of the 6.0 diesels ('05 F550) from the fleet - and we didn't get stuck with any of the 6.4's - thankfully!

I have never endured worse ecomomy in vehicles - and that includes the old big block gas-hogs. 8-9 mpg was all the 6.0 litre would do, and the 6.4's are worse. Ford stepped on their own injector when they let the 7.3 go.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was aware of the Forest Service over by Bend Oregon, had several of those 08 Ford F 550 rigs, loaded with firefighting equipment on the back...

Going down Forest Service Roads, they managed to actually break the frame on two of the rigs in less than a year..according to one of the Forest Service Rangers I spoke with last year..

Evidently to improve fuel economy, they have been mandated to use magnesium frames on them...

A truck less than a year old and they had to replace the entire frame on it, just because of weight and rough roads!

and then considering the price they paid for it..

No thanks..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Highway with my 03 6.0PSD averaged 18 and towed right around 10mpg. My 06 gets about 16mpg and the same 10 towing.

I Burn While I See
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I still can't understand why Ford won't develop a small, thrifty diesel for the Ranger or F-150.. The little Toyo-Kogyo (IIRC) diesel they had back in the '80s would get 50+ mpg.. Those little things were sweet...

Originally Posted by Mako25
I just purged the last of the 6.0 diesels ('05 F550) from the fleet - and we didn't get stuck with any of the 6.4's - thankfully!

I have never endured worse ecomomy in vehicles - and that includes the old big block gas-hogs. 8-9 mpg was all the 6.0 litre would do, and the 6.4's are worse.
Yeah, but that's in an F-550.. No wonder.. My F-350 CC DRW 6.0 4X4 has 3.73 rears and gets 17 empty, 10.5 towing 12K..
Ford stepped on their own injector when they let the 7.3 go.
They didn't have much choice.. It could not be modified to conform to the new, mandated emission standards.. The feds doomed that engine..

I'd love to see the 2011 but I cannot see a real reason to trade mine in.. I've only got 30K on the odom and it's still close to being 'in the wrapper' clean..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.