Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Is there a big difference between them for a custom dangerous game build?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This should be good.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah...I might " wait and watch" this before I put in my 2 cents...but first I think I better go make some popcorn...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
both of them are in common use and well proven. The Winchester has better off-the-shelf capability to accept various long magnum cartridges, but proper magazine boxes are readily available for the Mauser.

The biggest differences functionally is that the Mauser has better gas shielding and a better designed extractor.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mod 70?...PFeed or CRF??

CRF all the way, if you can.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The recoil lug is better designed on the model 70. It is longer and locks up from behind permitting a 100% floating barrel after bedding.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
M70 pre 64 or classic? And how about the Dakota 76?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No difference.... they have both worked for a long, long time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RyanScott
M70 pre 64 or classic? And how about the Dakota 76?

The Dakota 76 is hands down the best you can find if you are worried about how the action sheilds for gas, a vary fine adaption of the pre-64 with much better design functions than the mod 70 pre-64. I have a lot of pre-64's and a lot of Mausers and in the long run the Dakota is cheaper than trying to pour money into a Mauser to get it where you will want it. If I had it to do over again I would have collected Dakota 76 to use for all my center fire rifles. You can do as well with some other after market actions just figure on spending 3 or 4 times the money per action as the Dakota action.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I was talking classic.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was thinking about starting a petition for Dakota to make actions with double square bridges and straight handles.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A no brainer on this end..I will take a custom Mauser for dangerous game everytime, or for anything else for that matter, and the Mod. 70 will run a distant second with me, but I do love the old pre 64s and have a few, just that the Mauser is a better rifle..the Dakotas and other knockoffs have never impressed me that much..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by atkinson
A no brainer on this end..I will take a custom Mauser for dangerous game everytime, or for anything else for that matter, and the Mod. 70 will run a distant second with me,..
And I'm just the exact opposite..

laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by atkinson
A no brainer on this end..I will take a custom Mauser for dangerous game everytime, or for anything else for that matter, and the Mod. 70 will run a distant second with me,..
And I'm just the exact opposite..

laugh

Ditto,

The answer is in what you would do to convert and M70 to M98

1) Grind the recoil lug right down in size.

2) Move the recoil lug back so as to reduced the amount of stock material behind the lug. Doing this in conjunction with making a tiny recoil lugs means you then a barrel lug on even a 375. Althouh that can be overcome if you use very hard wood in the stock.

3) Put the action screw into the recoil lug so as to minimise the amoung of stock material that is "clamped" between floor plate and action.

4) Grind the tang away until there is virtually nothing to bed. The idea here is not just to make bedding harder but you will be able to crush the stock under the tang unless you put a pillar or metal tube in the stock.

5)Thin the actions rails right down so as to get as much flex in the action as possible.

grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If a fellow really wants to get in a pissing contest on which handles the gas better then Mauser's win hands down, If you want to care about the cost of converting and action for making and action more user friendly then WINCHESTER wins hands down. Which one do I choose for a DCR is the one I don't have to put much money in that does every thing I want without sending on a trip that does not require several hundred bucks in shipping along with all the other machine work so that I have spent a few grand on the action before I fit a barrel and stock it.

You know this gets so crazy that looking around the used market really makes a lot of sense. A WWI converted Mauser's do look like a great deal when you get lucky. Of course the days of a few hundred bucks for these rifles is long gone and the lines of people looking are a lot longer.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like both but prefer the Mauser for cartridges that'll fit in it without too much modification.

Terry

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tough to go wrong with either. I prefer the pre-64 over the classic though. I wish they would have made the Classic with a one-piece bolt.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What caliber are you planning? Any thing over a .458 LOTT doesn't fit well on a M70,but how much more do you need in a bolt gun? A M70 can handle long,but not wide,the proper Mauser can do both..keyword..."proper Mauser"

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rifle
A M70 can handle long,but not wide
???

I guess the WSMs are really, really narrow, eh? laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I take exception to the recoil lug on a Mauser being too small, that is absurd, ask about any Gun Guild member...The Mauser handles gas escape much better..The Mauser is hardened on the outside and soft in the middle so it will bulge, even split but not fly into sharpnel, wherein a M-70 will fracture and chunks will fly in all directions. I won't argue the point but am only making some statements to give some understanding as to my choice...If you looking to save bucks then the M-70 is a winner, as a lot of what needs doing is done at the factory, no doubt about that..One of the reasons I use and prefer both, but the Mauser is my DG rifle hands down, and my preference for any bolt gun and for many more reasons than stated...Much has been written on the subject so I won't pursue it further..

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 16penny, 28 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,270
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.