W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thinking of buying one in 6.8SPC.

How is the quality?

Compared to Stag?

Is the 6.8SPC on solid ground acceptance-wise?

FÃœCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
don't have a stag so i can't tell you. i take care of 5 colts, 6 dpms,4 bushmasters, and 11 olympic arms at work. they are patrol rifles and some have been in service since 2001.they all are in 5.56. they are all more accurate than anyone can hold and they all break at some point.
i have a light weight bolt rifle in 6.8 and it is a nice cartridge. i don't believe it has really caught on to a large degree with the black rifle shooters.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know about the DPMS but I just ordered a 16 inch SS M4 Profile barrel in 6.8 from Bison Armory and had them finish it with Gun Kote in Dark Earth. I'm going to use a Stag Upper and bolt for the build and will use a Yankee Hill Float tube and flash hider. I will post photos when finished and will let you know how it does. I'm building this one so i can use one of my AR'S for deer hunting. TN made the 22 cal legal for deer last year but VA still has the 24 cal as minimum. Maybe they will change in the future.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I tend to shy away from DPMS.

I have seen several examples of out of spec or just plain junk small parts from them. From roll pins you could almost push in by hand to bolt catches that wouldn't. Had an extractor out of a blister pack that would barely catch a rim.

But some like em and will swear to how good they are.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I purchased the DPMS 16 Lite in 223 and love it. Fit & finish look good. No gap between upper and lower. The only thing I can honestly say is the trigger was junk. Dropped in a Timney 3# and it's good to go. Now I want to change out the plastic forend and front sight. Install a carbine float tube and a 4 rail gas block.

My Stag Arms is the 16 lite 6.8 and it's also a good looking AR with tight fit upper & lower, nice finish. Trigger was great right out of the box. I'll leave it alone for now. Want to change a few things on this one also. Install float tube and gas block. Sold a few un-wanted items so I can purchase a 20" complete upper in 6.8 for just playing at the bench. Wouldn't be a lite carry rifle but could use it in a ground blind.

Ken

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As to DPMS, I have 3 complete guns and 2 complete lowers and have no complaints with any of them. A while back DPMS had a real problem with out of spec LPK's, I haven't heard of any problems lately though.

When I decided to build a 6.8 , I did alot of research as to whom most felt produced the best and White Oak Armament seemed to be at the top. I spoke to the owner,John Holliger and he was very helpful and answered all of the questions I had concerning the caliber and intended use.

WOA would again be my choice in an upper and then a good lower of choice with a aftermarket trigger and you should be set.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I have three DPMS guns and have had no issues with them. One is a .308 that is very accurate and has been USED A BUNCH on South Texas deer and hogs. All of the stock triggers/hammers were replaced with JPs...but I do that to all of our ARs. All in all, I am no more or less satisfied with them than any other mainstream brand.

That having been said, I have had to fix two failure to feed problems on friends guns that stemed from the gas manifolds being loose on the barrels. All that was needed was to tighten the screws on the gas blocks and everything was good again. Another buddy had a DPMS .308 that shot patterns rather than groups AT TWENTY FIVE YARDS. We were baffeled for a while until I noticed that the hole in the flash suppressor was slightly off center. Once we opened the hole in the fp up so that the bullets were not contacting it as they exited the gun, good accuracy was had. Go figure!!

Heck...I even had to replace a recoil buffer in a Les Baer gun one time to make it function. The point I make here is that NO manufacturer is immune from hiccups on the production line.

The 6.8 SPC is a GREAT choice for an AR build. It will do dang near anything a .308 will do but in a much handier package...AR-15 platform vs AR-10. My daughter has been using one as her South Texas gun for the last four years and has yet to loose a single animal that she shot with it. My truck gun has a WOA 6.8 upper on it and I could not be more pleased. It is extremely easy to load for ...just put 27 to 29 grains of H-322 under any 110 to 115gr bullet and get with it! Try the bonded Remingtons or the Barnes Triple shocks. You will be pleased.

Pecos

Pull the trigger......
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i have never had a problem with a dpms in either ar15 or ar10s, i am currently running a model 1 6.8 upper and this thing really shoots it is a very interesting cal that has a large following, there is a website jsut for the 6.8 68forums.com Ron

P
P
What about the DPMS Sportical?

S
S
I Have had a few DPMS ar15s, in 6.5 grendel, as well as 5.56, and an AR10 in (LAR-308). I think DPMS puts a decent rifle, although I have found their finish to be a little sloppy joe (ie, small burrs in chambers,actions, barrels)..They put out a solid rifle. I had stuck brass with both the grendel and sweet 16 bullbarrel.(until breakin) 308 was a smooth operator.
Although, I think I am defecting from the DMPS brand, and the reason is, I like having a dustcover on every action, and DPMS frequently uses their heavy "target" receivers. Dont get me wrong, they are the beefiest receivers you can buy, and are great for taking wear...I just take the road less traveled, and need a cover. Simple as that.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Check out 68forums.com for all the latest news on a 6.8

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I owned a DPMS Mini SASS for awhile. It was very accurate and 100% reliable. That said, I never pushed the rifle hard and it was an example of one.

[Linked Image]

Terry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (16gage, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 49 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,858
Posts18,497,121
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.