Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Barkoff,

If and when I ever get to meet you, dinner is on me. That was a great way to handle it.

I have seen too many lives ruined by that stuff and to have just ONE want to get help before they hit rock bottom makes my day!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ColdBore
I remember a day at work a couple years ago, one of those long and rough days. I made a comment about my back killing me. A fellow coworker says "Ya want something for it?". Heck yeah! I was expecting maybe an Aleve, etc. He comes back with a little orange bottle... WHOA! What's in there??

"It's OxyContin man. It'll fix ya right up!".

Get the hell away from me with that! I'm subject to random drug tests, and no way am I going to pop some OxyContin.

"It's OK, I got a prescription".

Uh, yeah, maybe YOU do, but I sure as hell don't. I'm sure they'd just love it when I pop positive and say "Oh, it's OK, he had a prescription, and gave me some...".

Yeah, right-o......

Sounds like he has the same brain power a guy on Cops did. Just couldn't understand that his UNCLE'S ccw didn't apply to him. Kept pointing that out that his uncle had one even while they were slaping the cuffs on him. Was kind of funny if that guy hadn't been so stupid.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Draino!

" I will follow the path of others some of the time, but most of the time, I perfer to make my own path."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to hear that it went well. FWIW, I think you handled it in a first class manner.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Like most things that get bad press, we only hear of the bad, we never hear of the good. The fact is, OxyContin is a very effective pain medication for moderate to severe pain. Most who criticize it have never experienced truly severe pain, let alone chronic severe pain. Most time enduring pain will inhibit your ability to recover; that goes 10x for those in rehab or physical therapy because pain limits their ability to perform at the gym and rebuild muscles, range of motion or flexibility after a major injury

Pain, moderate to severe pain, is my constant companion, and I�m told it will be for the rest of my life. Day in and day out, I just suck it up, but when the pain makes it so I can�t sleep, it�s time for the oxycontin. I've gone as long as 3 months without taking it, and there are days where I'm popping them like Skittles. Over time, your liver learns to adapt and becomes more and more effective at filtering out the drug, so those of us who have taken it for long periods of time have to take a lot to get pain relief. And I'm not talking about taking 5 instead of 1, that's what people do to get high. More like you take them more often because the pain relief doesnt last very long. There is one good thing about building up a tolerance though; you don't (or at least I dont) get high from the stuff anymore. When I take it, I'm every bit as lucid as when I'm not taking it.

I have read studies where those who legitimately take it for pain rarely become addicted. Take it as directed, under the supervision of a doctor (remember, that�s what they�re for) and you won�t have a problem.

Most everyone who takes such medications for an extended period of time will develop a physical addiction, but the physical addiction is not the scary part, it�s the psychological addiction. In the past 25 years, I�ve had to shake the physical addiction 3 times and it really wasn�t a big deal; about 3-4 sleepless nights, that was all. I have never once been psychologically addicted because I think the stuff makes you feel like chit, so I don�t enjoy the high, I just enjoy the ability to sleep.

For every bad doctor or person who gets addicted to the stuff, there are literally hundreds if not thousands that enjoy the LEGITIMATE use of the drug. It�s not all that different than our love of firearms�it�s just a tool that can be used for good or evil; it�s up to the individual. I�m into individual responsibility.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think when I fractured my leg they gave me Hydrocodone 500mg tablets.I'd take 2 when it really started hurting for approx. 4 months and I didn't have a hard time getting off of it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Glad to hear that it went well. FWIW, I think you handled it in a first class manner.

Yep, good job Barkoff!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool.
Glad it turned out OK, Bark...

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by crittergetter
I think when I fractured my leg they gave me Hydrocodone 500mg tablets.I'd take 2 when it really started hurting for approx. 4 months and I didn't have a hard time getting off of it.

You wouldn't. That '500' is 500 mg of Tylenol. There's only 5mg of narcotic in that variety of Vicodin- it's actually a very mild prescriptive pain reliever. Aceteminophen (Tylenol) in large doses is bad for the liver, especially if any alcohol is involved.
Most of the opioid narcotics by themselves are not particularly harmful to any one organ, especially if taken as prescribed. All of them are known to cause moderate to sever constipation.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Barkoff;

Do everything you can to save your daughter. Her friend will end up killing herself, and will take your daughter with her, given the chance.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Like most things that get bad press, we only hear of the bad, we never hear of the good. The fact is, OxyContin is a very effective pain medication for moderate to severe pain. Most who criticize it have never experienced truly severe pain, let alone chronic severe pain. Most time enduring pain will inhibit your ability to recover; that goes 10x for those in rehab or physical therapy because pain limits their ability to perform at the gym and rebuild muscles, range of motion or flexibility after a major injury

Pain, moderate to severe pain, is my constant companion, and I�m told it will be for the rest of my life. Day in and day out, I just suck it up, but when the pain makes it so I can�t sleep, it�s time for the oxycontin. I've gone as long as 3 months without taking it, and there are days where I'm popping them like Skittles. Over time, your liver learns to adapt and becomes more and more effective at filtering out the drug, so those of us who have taken it for long periods of time have to take a lot to get pain relief. And I'm not talking about taking 5 instead of 1, that's what people do to get high. More like you take them more often because the pain relief doesnt last very long. There is one good thing about building up a tolerance though; you don't (or at least I dont) get high from the stuff anymore. When I take it, I'm every bit as lucid as when I'm not taking it.

I have read studies where those who legitimately take it for pain rarely become addicted. Take it as directed, under the supervision of a doctor (remember, that�s what they�re for) and you won�t have a problem.

Most everyone who takes such medications for an extended period of time will develop a physical addiction, but the physical addiction is not the scary part, it�s the psychological addiction. In the past 25 years, I�ve had to shake the physical addiction 3 times and it really wasn�t a big deal; about 3-4 sleepless nights, that was all. I have never once been psychologically addicted because I think the stuff makes you feel like chit, so I don�t enjoy the high, I just enjoy the ability to sleep.

For every bad doctor or person who gets addicted to the stuff, there are literally hundreds if not thousands that enjoy the LEGITIMATE use of the drug. It�s not all that different than our love of firearms�it�s just a tool that can be used for good or evil; it�s up to the individual. I�m into individual responsibility.

your views and experiences mirror mine pretty well exactly.....havent got a real buzz off my pain meds in years....can i tell when they are in my system? yes ofcourse but my body and brain are so used to the chemical being in my system on a regular basis that a good sized dose i take when i twist my knee(after a couple hyper-extensions they dont like to stay in place very well, especially on ice) will make me sleepy but loopy usually only happens if i take such a dose on a completely empty stomach....most the time all i notice is that they take the edge off and there is no other sensation....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Barkoff;

Do everything you can to save your daughter. Her friend will end up killing herself, and will take your daughter with her, given the chance.

I sure hope not.

Remember it was my daughter who came to me. I thanked her last night for having enough trust in me to confide. I told her if her friend does turn it around, she has her to thank for it, for having trust enough in Dad to ask for help, and forcing help upon her. These two sisters are nice girls, one has just hit that age where any little problem is a huge drama that nobody else understands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Please post an update in 6 months. I am very skeptical of someone who makes a confession in lieu of being narked out.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should also add that if things turn south again, your daughter has been compromised because information she supplied to you was used against the other girl.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So far so good, and good on ya. Hope it continues that way for you, your daughter, and her friend.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 70 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,673
Posts18,513,195
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.