Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Snip a coil off the spring, file a little off the sear engagement, polish the bearing surfaces. Probably something else could be done, but that's what most amateurs will do. You can do a search on it, and some sites will have diagrams with what to file, what to polish, etc.
Amateurs? what do the professionals do? I know the one who worked on my vanguard when I sent it back to a factory authorized service center for repairs scratched the schite out of it and gouged it with something. That's why I don't let someone else work on my rifles.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If it cost much at all to do a vanguard just wait till the timney's on sale and replace the POS. basically same money. Otherwise for a good trigger done right I let the pro's handle it. I've messed with a few and yeah it was "better" but still not comparable to a job by someone who knows ALL the intricatacies of the trigger being worked on. Some amateurs are more mechanically inclined and probably do a good job. For me; there is a measure of confidence knowing that I'm not "shade tree Bob with the hair trigger in the woods" LOL.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So I don't kill myself or someone in the future, what'd I do wrong? I used the instructions here for more clarification than my brief description above: http://www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html

NOTE the first sentence in your link:

"The Ruger 77 trigger is one of the easiest factory triggers to rework. However, alterations to any firearm should be done only by a qualified gunsmith. This information is strictly for reference only and is not intended for use by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith."

Specific trigger work is something I will not post here.. It's one of those liability thingys that can sink the Titanic.. Things you described in your second post above are things Bubba would try.. Problem is, the result can literally be fatal..

'Nuff said..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

A bad trigger job can cost you alot.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Redneck
So I don't kill myself or someone in the future, what'd I do wrong? I used the instructions here for more clarification than my brief description above: http://www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html

NOTE the first sentence in your link:

"The Ruger 77 trigger is one of the easiest factory triggers to rework. However, alterations to any firearm should be done only by a qualified gunsmith. This information is strictly for reference only and is not intended for use by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith."

Specific trigger work is something I will not post here.. It's one of those liability thingys that can sink the Titanic.. Things you described in your second post above are things Bubba would try.. Problem is, the result can literally be fatal..

'Nuff said..
You don't have to be a "qualified gunsmith" to work on your guns. However, you do need to have a full understanding of the mechanisms you are working on. You do need to have correct tools such as ones a qualified machinist may have. You do need the ambition to want to do a precision job yourself and take pride in that. If you know you are not capable of doing this job yourself and you are man enough to admit that then kudos and let someone who is properly trained do the job. Well I have to go, my wife said the parts came for my dads mossberg 640kd chuckster and I have to do a trigger job on that aswell as replace the hammer, hammer spring, firing pin, extractors, trigger and trigger spring. Oh well, what do us amateurs know?

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by chief2515
You don't have to be a "qualified gunsmith" to work on your guns.
Depends on the definition of the word, 'work'..
However, you do need to have a full understanding of the mechanisms you are working on.
Yep, which is what the definition of the word 'amateur' lacks.. The word 'full', is operative there..
You do need to have correct tools such as ones a qualified machinist may have.
Which the majority of amateurs lack.
Oh well, what do us amateurs know?
Sometimes, just enough to be dangerous..

As a parallel example: a professor in an Ag law course I took reminded us often, of this very true sentence: "A little knowledge of the law is a dangerous thing".

Ya might wanna study that one a little, there, Chiefy boy...

We got a few amateurs near me too.. They help pay for my monthly bills.. God love 'em... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A wise man knows his limitations.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
We got a few amateurs near me too.. They help pay for my monthly bills.. God love 'em... laugh

That was mean.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Redneck, if you are saying I can't work on my own guns because I'm not a "qualified gunsmith", you are an idiot. Maybe you should of stayed in school a little longer or maybe you stayed in too long. This is the real world here and in the real world, people like many on the campfire like tinkering on their toys (so to speak).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leave the insults to PM's

and yeah, tinkering is fun, but it can also kill you or the person next to you at the range if you don;t tinker right.

NRA Life Member
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nice try, Chief.. But you might wanna quit while you're behind.. Read the post again and try to comprehend words..

It's been obvious for a long time why so many posters here have you on ignore..

Bye bye..

Last edited by Redneck; 02/14/10.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 30 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.