Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Reading through AR Magazine I noticed an article by John B. Perhaps one of the most well rounded writers in existence.

KUDOS to you.....

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Fishing and the shotgun sports, too.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Eileen has suggested that at certain times of year I get a little too well-rounded, especially after hunting season when les exercise and Christmas eatin'-and-drinkin' start me growing a little too much around the belt-line....

One of my mentors in the business told me that being a generalist is a more secure way of making a living as a free-lance writer. So I do try to mix it up a little. Have even written a few pieces for general interest magazines over the years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Mule Deer,

I can't recall an article of yours on handguns. I'm curious. Why not?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've only done a few. As a matter of fact just had one in AMERICAN HANDGUNNER entitled "Hollywood Ballistics."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JB,

I've been mostly outta touch with guns and hunting and such the last few years due to health problems. Prior to that....I was "in the zone" with all this stuff. Priorities, partner.

I always enjoy your articles and your unselfish sharing of info that always seems to fit my level of experience and knowledge. No producer of published info can always win when it comes to targeting the skills and knowledge appetite of a large audience. You seem to, however. I hope to heck I'm not crediting your editors instead of you. To open a mag and turn to an article written by you knowing that it WILL present something of use to me......WOW! Can't say that about very many outdoor/gun writers......and I'm dang near your age.

Love your hardcore, hands-on, tried-and-true lessons about everyday hunting rifles used for everyday game. Your home turf gives you a great deal of credibility, too, at least with me.

I've used much of your advice to further my success. Keep it up! Many are too shy to say this....I'm not.

Thanks, John.

WhiskeyMan

Confucious say.....he who angers you.....controls you.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Glad I looked past the header. I was briefly concerned that someone was making a crack about JB's waistline. wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Not just well rounded but the most respected gun writer of his generation. I'm consistently amazed by the sheer number of people (myself included) who take his advice without question.

I always feel like I personally owe John a debt for his written advice over the years. From products he recommended that I purchased and loved, advice on how to hunt that work, and inspiration to perhaps find the time to travel, hunt, and see the country or the world.

Thanks John

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
WhiskeyMan,

Thanks very much!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JB...you know you're my favorite writer...and my second favorite cook.. wink

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The things I like most about reading John's stuff is that its not all about guns or hunting.

The guy pays attention to the little things (sometimes damnfunny) about life.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I never heard of you John 'til I came on this site. I enjoy reading what you have to offer. You are always polite and helpful...............on PM's as well. I like a writer who is like the guy next door over a pompous elitist!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

In cleaning out decades of outdoor mags at my dad's place I'm pretty sure I ran across a bowhunting article you did ... and a rifle hunting article by Chuck Adams.

Different publications, but the world tilted on its axis for a few minutes there.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Can't add a thing to what's been posted. Just have to agree. Now I have to subscribe to Sports Afield to get my fix.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoy your presence too JB. I think you walk the line of providing an honest opinion with respect for vendors when needed. I can't say I've ever read a cross word from you on the campfire, but I never bothered with the lee24 threads. wink

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have lost my temper on the Campfire, but it takes quite a bit. Lee24 got to me twice that I can remember, and then there was some idiot who got drunk on New Year's Eve a while back and decided he would personally straighten out all the gun writers in the world.

But since 99.9% of the people who post here are really nice folks, it's normally a pleasure batting hunting and shooting back and forth.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have lost my temper on the Campfire, but it takes quite a bit. Lee24 got to me twice that I can remember, and then there was some idiot who got drunk on New Year's Eve a while back and decided he would personally straighten out all the gun writers in the world.

But since 99.9% of the people who post here are really nice folks, it's normally a pleasure batting hunting and shooting back and forth.

Damn! You're human!

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Agree. Now go out and thump an elk with a 45 Colt or 475/500 Linebaugh would you... They really are fun stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed. I can't think of an outdoor writer, past or present, that writes or has written about more subjects as well. A good example is "Shotguns For Wingshooting". It combines easy to understand, comprehensive information and outdoor photography better than any shotgun book I've seen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I couldn't agree more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,945
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.