Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jaeger Offline OP
OP Offline
J
<BR>I have a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 and would like some input from some of you guys that are using aftermarket sights.<P>I am considering the followng:<BR>Lyman receiver sight<BR>Ashley Outdoors front and rear<BR>Wild West front and rear w/ fiber optic insert<BR>Marbles tang sight<P>I am not interested in anything made by Williams. I am also not interested in Lyman's tang sight.<P>I would appreciate input from anyone using the sights I mentioned in the field.<BR>The AO setup looks very promising but it looks like it sits kind of high. Anyone have a problem with this?<BR>I am especially interested in hearing about the Wild West setup with the fiber optic insert. <P>Any input would be appreciated.<P>If I decide to scope it eventually I will use the AO scout mount and a Leupold scout scope so no scope input please. Just focus on iron sights. Thanks in advance for your help.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just installed the Marble Tang sight on my new guide gun, and I am wishing that I had picked something else. The placement of the sight interferes with the way I hold the gun. If I put my thumb in front of the sight, it hits the cocked hammer. If I put it behind the sight, the sight base bites the web of my hand when I shoot. Also, the placement of this sight puts the peep disc about 1" from my eyebrow. I haven't been hit yet, but it is only a matter of time because it is very easy for me to creep up on the sight. I am not knocking the construction of the sight. It is very well made, and would probaly function very well on another gun. I just don't think that is the right sight for the 1895G. <P>I have previous experience with the Lyman receiver sight on both the 1894 and 1895. This is what I plan to go with on my guide gun. It is a well built peep and reasonably priced. <P>I have never tried to Ashley sight, but most guys have nothing but good things to say about it. I, personally, like the way the Lyman sight looks as opposed to the Ashley. No rational reason for this, just my own asthetic preference. <P>Anyone that would like a Marble tang sight to fit any Marlin 1895 or 336, drop me a line at sdebickasdmonline.net. The sight is brand new, has only been on my gun for about a week. There is absolutely nothing wrong with, it just doesn't suit me. It was over $100 new. I will part with it for $85 if anyone is interested. <P>------------------<BR>Stush

Stush
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I use an Ashley peep that fastens to my Warne Weaver style rear base when the scope is removed. I bought a Wild West peep but don't use it. I don't remember what it cost, but I'll take 25% off if anyone is interested in buying it.<P>------------------<BR>Phil Life Member SCI&NRA

Phil Life Member SCI&NRA
J
Jaeger Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks guys. That is precisely the kind of info I'm looking for.<P>Any more feedback is welcome.

L
L
I have the Ashley Ghost Ring sights on my 1895G and they work very well.

Latigo
IC B2

H
H
let you know soon on Ashley ghost ring sight coupled with AO mount and scout scope. All of the above arrived today and I am mounting and trying this weekend. Using Leybold QRW rings.

J
Jaeger Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I ended up insalling a Wild West rear sight. So far I am VERY happy with it. I am going to put a Firesight on the front and eventually an Ashley scout setup.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Still awaiting my AO Scout mount to arrive in the mail any time now. Already have a peep but opted for the Williams. Would be interested to hear why you are not interested in his product if you do not mind. An email is fine if you would rather not post here...<BR>I like his rear setup just fine but not sure about the firesight...a bit fragile and bent since I could not use the hood. Just drilled a 3/8 hole in hood with drill press and lets enough light in to illuminate the fiber optic.<BR>If anyone gets their AO Scout set up with everything...pls post your comments here.<BR>I am looking at the Scout scope 2.5x M8...what are some of you looking at for glass on the mount?<P><P>------------------<BR>keep em sharp,<P>ron herman

keep em sharp,<P>ron herman
J
Jaeger Offline OP
OP Offline
J
All of the Williams sights I have seen have been aluminum and just don't seem very sturdy. I bought a Williams peep sight for an AK once and all of the adjustment screws broke within 1 day. What a POS! I haven't bought anything from Williams since.<P>If are looking for a Leupold M8 scout scope check out <A HREF="http://www.swfa.com" TARGET=_blank>www.swfa.com</A><BR>That's where I bought mine.As for rings may I suggest Warne Maxima Steel QD rings? I have them on my scout rifle and they work like a charm. You can have that scope on or off in seconds and it holds it's zero. They're well worth the $.

K
K
I have used williams sites on my 45-70 gov't marlin and other rifles (including an 8mm mauser)for 11 yrs and never had a problem with them. They are quite sturdy and well made. I am sorry you had a bad experience with them.<P>Oops, fixed spelling error.<p>[This message has been edited by kumaq (edited April 06, 2001).]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've installed Williams rear sight, with a NEF front insert, on my old(now sold) 45-70. Works just fine.<BR>Kumaq... where you from? (Cool name.) ~~~Suluuq

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I got the 5D rear setup with peep...bought two peeps...one ghost ring type and another with much smaller hole for range shooting and bright daylight. Front fiber optic still is too large and covers most of 10 inch circle at 100 yards. If I can not get smaller peep then may have to figure something else out...that is why I am looking at scout scope with AO mount. For shots on open fields and such I snap on scope. For woods hunting or when I need a quick shot the scope goes in the backpack and I use the peep and fiber optic. Either way I think it will be a better fix for me.<BR>Like I said...I actually like the Williams 5D...had for about 6 months now with no problems and is very sturdy and tight fitting. The front fire sight did bend just from being in case and putting in vehicle muzzle down on floor board. Must have bumped something because it bent front mount...but now that I drilled out sight hood that came with 1895ss...it is fine.<BR>Thanks for idea about another set of rings...do I need bases with the AO and rings or do the rings fit directly into the AO mount settings? Guess I will find out when my AO arrives in next day or two...hahaha<P><P>------------------<BR>keep em sharp,<P>ron herman

keep em sharp,<P>ron herman
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Phil, I'm looking for the same set-up you have on your rifle. How well does this work? Does the peep sight return to zero when you switch between it and the scope? Did mounting the peep on the scope base require a higher front sight? Thanks Greg <BR>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (1234, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 33 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,045
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.