Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Can't stop thinking about this one. Just wondering if anybody here has one, and your opinion of it. Please hurry, I may be about to do something foolish!

GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
i dont have the 38-55, but i did buy the 336 cowboy in 30-30, it is a very nice rifle, fit is excellant and it is very accurate, took a buck with it this year...gutpile

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
gutpile,<P>I haven't ruled out the .30-30, in fact, I'm thinking that it would be the perfect candidate for my first .30-30 Improved, if I ever do something like that. If you don't mind, I'd like to hear what you're feeding it for best groups. Original sights? Sure is a handsome rifle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't get the .38-55 unless you want it for the antiqueness/neatness factor. The humble .30-30 acts like a Loudenboomer Magnum compared to the .38-55.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Both calibers appeal to me, but for different reasons. If I get the .38-55, it would be loaded with black powder & cast lead bullets .... mostly just for fun, but still usable for deer or whatever. (A lighter recoil alternative to the 45-70.) If I get the .30-30, it's just because it's the world's finest smokeless round for whitetails. [Linked Image] It's a win/win situation! <P>P.S. - By "doing something foolish", I just meant that I would likely be selling a Ruger #3 in 45-70 to raise money for the Marlin.<p>[This message has been edited by Loud Cloud (edited March 03, 2001).]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an old book about deer hunting printed back in the 50's by Stackpole Press, written by a professional guide from Maine. I don't now recall the author or title, but it was the most entertaining book on hunting I have ever read. This guide really had no particular fondness for rifles at all, and knew only what he had to about them. Most of his life he used a .38-55, because that was what he had, and it worked for him. Once someone lent him a .30-'06, and he felt that he was significantly over gunned.<p>[This message has been edited by Youper (edited March 03, 2001).]

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
J
J
Loudcloud, should you ever decide to do that foolish thing I'd be much obliged if you'd let me know. A #3 in 45-70 is on my list.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Jaeger,<BR>Sorry, a long-time friend of my Dad's is already salivating over it....it happens to be a "liberty" model, too. I agree that it's a neat little devil, but it really kicks the crap out of me. Figure I'll just have to get a #1, someday.<P>Youper,<BR>If you happen to run across that book, I hope you'll post the name of it. I love reading that old-timey stuff, and always look for it at used book stores, gun shows, etc. I have several old Stackpole paperbacks, and old Fur-Fish-Game mags & others .... fun reading.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep it out at camp. Next time I get out there I'll make note of the author and title.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
loudcloud, for deer season i installed a redfield base and rings and used a 4 power scope on my 336 cowboy (30-30), and it worked fine, but i feel the scope 'uglied up' the rifle too much so the scope came off, I am using the original Marbel sights now, but i may install a Williams reciever peep on it, the original sights are very good, if you like a buckhorn, and the rifle seems to like 170 grain loads so far ive just shot Rem. and Win in it tho i plan to load for it soon, but I'm gonna stay with the 170 grain bullets, it will group 2 inches at 100 yards with the open sights, its the finest 30-30 lever Ive ever owned, (and Ive owned 3 model '94's over the years) I even shot a few boxes of 55 gr accelerators through it, they were fun made it shoot like a .223 regards, gut

IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
loudcloud, i responded to your question about loads and sights but it never posted, so I'll try again, i had a 4 power scope on my 336 cowboy with redfield bases and rings, but I felt it 'uglied' it up the scope just didnt look right with the octagon barrel, so I'm back to the original sights, (the marbel buckhorn) it is a good sight, easy to see, and with it I can still get a 2 inch 100 yard group, tho I'm thinking about putting a Williams reciever peep sight on it. My best groups came from Rem. and Win. 170 gr loads, I plan to load for it and i will use 170 gr bullets in my reloads, the 170's seemed to fly better than the 150's, plus on deer sized game they hit hard. the 24 inch barrel makes the old 30-30 really perform well, you can easily hit targets out to 150 yards, tho i think 200 should be the max range with the 336 cowboy. the old 20 inch tubes that have been standard on 30-30's for the last 60 years really does the round a disservice, try a 30-30 with the 24 inch barrel and you will have new respect for the round.....gut

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
gutpile,<BR>Double thanks for the replies .... man, that's some pretty awesome shooting with factory ammo! Hard as I try, I can't get my Winchesters to shoot like the Marlins, either...but will always be a fan of both. The .30-30 has ALWAYS performed great for me on deer, and I've hunted with it alot over the last 37 years. Btw, congrats on that buck!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Boy they sure are nice and I been thinking about on in 38-55, that is a sure nuff deer caliber...I have used both the 30-30 and the 38-55 and I kinda like the knock down of the 38-55, It kills better than it Paper balistics.....<P>Lord, I die if Marlin would come out with the cowboy in my favorite deer caliber, the 25-35 Win...Used properly its sure a nice little gun...I killed my first 3 elk with one...<P>------------------<BR>Ray Atkinson<BR>atkinsonhunting.com<BR>208-326-4120

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Loud Cloud: the title of that book I was telling you about is "How to Hunt Deer" by Edward A. Freeman. It was published by Stackpole Press in 1956.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Oh, oh. Somebody mentioned a .25-35 Marlin again. I'm in trouble. E

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Eremicus .... You know you want one. Go for it, there's nuthin' to fear but a few shattered illusions. [Linked Image]<P>Youper .... Thanks, buddy! It's on my "Look Fer" list now. I missed an opportunity to attend a semi-major gun show last week-end cuz I almost died. No joke. Totally unexpected health crisis followed by my first ambulance ride, and 5 days in the hospital. My life has changed, but I'm still here, and appreciating it very much. Have re-arranged some priorities which will not go unnoticed by my family or by my employer. I can still shoot, fish, and hunt with some restrictions, and it hasn't impaired my appetite for reading! Hope you're all going for the gusto while you can. Cheers! LC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Loud cloud... good to see you didn't "make the journey' just yet. Heres hoping you better health. Stay cool. ~~~Suluuq

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Loud Cloud. I, too, am glad you didn't "make the journey". Stay with us, brother. We need you. E

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks guys, your thoughts are much appreciated. I intend to play by the rules in order to stay in this game a good while longer. I got a good report from the doc today. If I had my druthers and a little more wind, I'd dance a little jig on the bar and set up a round of ale for the whole board. You're a good bunch.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

Who's Online Now
548 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 65 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,482
Posts18,529,697
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.