Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Great to meet you Ms Cher.

Perhaps folks will be more civil with another mother at the "fire".

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
who is gonna need moderators if mom's are around? My mom still keeps me in line, don't wanna get swatted with that wooden spoon again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Female house sparrow, way bigger than all the rest.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bubbajay
who is gonna need moderators if mom's are around? My mom still keeps me in line, don't wanna get swatted with that wooden spoon again.

Those wooden spoons were around when I was a kid.I can personally testify to 50 years of them.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It looks most like a song sparrow.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Song_Sparrow/id

The pic here of an american tree sparrow is very similar except there are no brown chest streaks and their winter range is a bit north of you.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Tree_Sparrow/id

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waterguy
Perhaps folks will be more civil with another mother at the "fire".

Because that's worked so well with Les's Mom, Sassy around? wink grin Magic 8 ball says "outlook doubtful"

Welcome aboard Cher.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Azshooter
It looks most like a song sparrow.

Look again at this, there is a song sparrow in it too, center.
Look at the size difference.

[Linked Image]

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Rufous Crowned Sparrow. Is big for a sparrow though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sparrows can be tough but that one is a Song Sparrow. The middle one probably a Chipping, hard to tell by that pic, it could also be a Field. If it's seen again, one of the ID features of the Song is there should be a large central spot in the middle of the breast.

shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The middle one probably a Chipping

Ahh I think you might be right. I believe I may have mis-ID that as a song sparrow.
If I can keep the squirrels out of the yard maybe they'll come back.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yup, definitely a chipping. I should have known that,they are all over my deck right now... Added some feeders after the big storm. Very popular!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The size of the mystery bird is about right for a female redwing black bird...

[Linked Image]

When it flies, a song sparrow or fox sparrow will most often stay low and go for cover, a red-wing will usually go up to the tree tops.

Prob'y a little chipping sparrow in that other pic I think.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not bad thinking, but in one of the pics, you can see the fu man chu type mustache going down from each side of the cheek. A few sparrows have that, and while in itself is not an ID feature, the female RW does not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not bad thinking, but in one of the pics, you can see the fu man chu type mustache going down from each side of the cheek. A few sparrows have that, and while in itself is not an ID feature, the female RW does not.

The ol' malar stripe.

But... here's a generic song sparrow for reference...

[Linked Image]

I had a forehead-slapping "doh!" moment when I opened the thread this morning. And I'd bet the farm on female red-wing.

Note the thinner, proportionately longer and more pointed beak on the mystery bird. Note the heavy, uniform streaking on the nape of the neck and sides on a uniform dull grey background.

Note not even a hint of lightening on the lower flanks and belly as on a song sparrow...

[Linked Image]

Also note the lack of anything approaching an eye ring on the mystery bird and the shape of the eye and head and how the eye is set in the head. Those two wing bars too would be expected on a red-wing, but not a song sparrow.

Note too the smaller-headed proportions and the size, that thing is fully as big as a cardinal, if not bigger, again 'xactly like a red-wing.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well it obviously isn't a crow. smile hope that helps shreck.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think it's a one eyed, one eared, flying freak of nature. Do you live near a nuclear power plant or anything?

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd bet my last dollar it's a female Agelaius phoeniceus. I've got a bunch on my feeders here in Oklahoma

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very interesting, could be a blackbird. Do I see a reddish topknot?. Is that something that a female blackbird might have?

What would make it interesting is if it were a western bird that got caught up in some storms. Occasionally we see brown pelicans in S. Az after a hurricane that comes up the baja. Ya never know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I had a forehead-slapping "doh!" moment when I opened the thread this morning. And I'd bet the farm on female red-wing.

Note the thinner, proportionately longer and more pointed beak on the mystery bird.

Those two wing bars too would be expected on a red-wing, but not a song sparrow.

Wing bars aren't normally a reliable identifier, I've seen them in a number of sparrows and slight ones in Songs. That said, the other stuff you said leads me to believe you may be right, esp that beak. Easy to tell the difference in person, but that photo and fu man chu still throw me. Good call.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (12344mag, 257Bob, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 222ND, 62 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,381
Posts18,527,562
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.