Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't wear safety glasses but insist any newbie that I am teaching wears them.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
I've worn RX glasses since I was a teenager, same time I started loading... I've always had polycarbonate lenses... No side shields though

Same

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been reloading for 18 years, since I was 15. No safety glasses. I reload 99% of my stuff on a single stage press where I do every operation separately. I will size and deprime in one stage, bell cases if needed in another. I also use the auto prime but in the RCBS tabletop version and have never had a primer go. I then powder and when powder is all weighed and cases filled, I turn them towards the light and make sure they all look the same level. I have caught a double charge once, where the flake powder (Unique) got caught in the funnel and I moved it on to the next one. The three previous and three after were all dumped and recharged. I load for 32 different cartridges currently. There have been others, but when the rifles were sold the dies went to. That's something I will never do again either. I may sell the rifle but in the future keep the dies and brass, as I may come up with that cartridge again. I use an old Lyman Ideal Powder Measure when using ball powders. I DO check everything 5th charge on a scale. For Christmas this year my wife got me a new Dillon Progressive Press, currently set up for .38's/.357's. I still periodically check the powder stage, but not as often, as it seems that's more likely to screw up my routine and get a double charge then just getting it right in the beginning and moving through..... That's my drill.....OH, I DON'T COOK BACON IN THE NUDE!!! Apparently I run more risk then some of you all wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I cook bacon in the nude.

TMI

When you present a small target (or maybe the correct term here is a soft target), it's not that dangerous. whistle

A number of years ago a friend of mine had just exited the shower when he noticed that the light bulb above the sink was burned out. Being the sort to have things on hand, there was a spare bulb in the vanity below the sink. He had to stretch a bit and lean in to reach the socket. This brought Morton into direct contact with his wife's curling iron, which had naturally been left on and lying on top of the vanity. From here in, the story gets a bit murky. He claims to have suffered manfully and in silence. The story as it has come out involved a trip to the emergency room where the first nurse to see the damage let out a scream as she assumed that it had been burned completely off. Further examination revealed it to be intact, but with burns over 90% of its area, which amounted to an area about the size of a dime.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The only time I wear safety glasses is when I'm deprimeing live primers.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
LMAO

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
let out a scream as she assumed that it had been burned completely off.

LOL!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figure I should be able to buy as many primers - that are not designed to erode - as I want.

I will also fight tooth-and-nail the same methods that were unleashed on smokers, with the end goal being pricing something deemed "dangerous" out of practiacal use.

Got any you'd let go? - 210M's would be perfect.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've reloaded for about 40 years and never worn safety glasses. I use the method noted above for putting charged cases in a loading block and visually comparing charge levels before the next operation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I WEAR SAFETY GLASSES EVERYTIME AND ALL THE TIME I AM PERSONALLY RELOADING.

I USE SAFETY GLASSES DURING SOME OPERATIONS OF MY PERSONAL RELOADING.

I NEVER WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN I RELOAD.

I wear my glasses every time I reload, or at least for the last 12 years or so. For the 31 years before that I didn't have glasses so I didn't wear them. I, like others here, have also
1. run with scissors.
2. owned a BB gun my entire life and haven't put my eye out.
3. Crossed the street without looking even one way much less both.
4. gone swimming immediately after eating.
5. have on occasion patted my head and rubbed my stomach at the same time.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Loading Bench Items

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Reloaded either with my mentor or alone for about 15 years. For the last 10 or so I always have on reading glasses because I can't see up close without them. They're the Wally World version so probably polycarb. I add safety glasses when using the RCBS press priming system or when using an impact bullet puller. FWIW

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Only when priming cases.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have been reloading for over 40 years and have never worn safety glasses until I started wearing glasses full time. At that time I bought safety glasses and my profession as a machinist required them.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Never have, probably won't - doesn't mean it's not a good practice. Of all the things I think I could function without, eyes are not one of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never wear them -- What's the story with the kinetic bullet puller?

G
gitano Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks for the answers - at least most of 'em anyway. I'll give this a day or two and tally up the numbers for those that like numbers. (That'd be me.)

Paul

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have worn them a time or two while reloading, but for the last ten years, regular glasses were all I've worn (over my eyes, that is. I may someday cook bacon clothes-less, but I will not reload in that condition!)

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
. .. . .. . . . . . . . .. . . .. .. . . . . . .
. . . . .. .. . .. . . . .. . .. . . . . . ..
. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Only my prescription daily glasses are worn, and that goes for most things I do on a daily basis, even cooking bacon. I do have safety glasses as well as a safety facemask that gets used on work that is really throwing the debris.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,828
Posts18,477,926
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.