Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
How much success do you all have hunting them in the evening.... For the life of me I can not get away from work in the morning to get after them.... Never tried late in the day - evening.

I have a farm that is run over with them to hunt but it could be months before I could get away in the morning....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Late, late evening can be OK...just as they are setting out on the rounds...

Its like fishing...the best time to hunt coyotes is when you can....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i hunt them when i can... have had some memorable successes in the afternoons and around sunset....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a lot of success in the evenings. That last hour or two is magic.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cloudy evenings are the best..

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have quit hunting the mornings, I leave the house around 1pm and hunt till dark. last sunday I killed 4 of them all in the afternoon/evening hours. I have found if you will begin with a howl set then wait 4-5 min. and call with a rabbit it seems to work better in the evening than just a rabbit call alone.

keep doing what your doing and you will keep getting what your getting...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Personally,Ihave had better luck in the very early morning but will not shun late evening hunts. I have done pretty well during the last hour of daylight.

L
L
I notice that those of you who are successful in the evening live "out west." Out east where our countryside is heavily developed, there is a great deal of traffic and activity all day long. Rarely is one out of sight of more than a few dwellings, small businesses, farm buildings, etc. where people and pets are plentiful. With that said, I know of no one in my area (myself included.) who is successful prior to dusk. Dawn is the ticket here because most people aren't out and about very early.

S
Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
thank you all for the replies.... I really do not have any other choice but to give it a shot in the evening.... it is a 600 acre cattle farm....

Hopefully I will get a crack at one...

thanks for lifting my spirits.... smile

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunting in the late afternoon/evening can almost be as productive as in the morning. What I am finding is that the dogs are getting more pressure and aren't as responsive as they used to be.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by lumberjack
I notice that those of you who are successful in the evening live "out west." Out east where our countryside is heavily developed, there is a great deal of traffic and activity all day long. Rarely is one out of sight of more than a few dwellings, small businesses, farm buildings, etc. where people and pets are plentiful. With that said, I know of no one in my area (myself included.) who is successful prior to dusk. Dawn is the ticket here because most people aren't out and about very early.

There are lots of places in the ION(Idaho-Oregon-Nevada) that the nearest human or dwelling is over 50 miles away.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Im not buying into the human traffic as being a factor, I live in the southeast part of NM. It is an oil field with thousands of pump jacks for hundreds of miles. The oil field workers are out there by 5am and stay til dark. The area is crowling with people all day. The pumpers all have rifles in thier trucks and will shoot at any coyote in site...my dad is one of them!! Yet calling in a coyote at 1pm is not uncommon...I have watched a coyote coming in at 1/2 a mile out, then an oil field truck will come down the road and the coyote will hang up in brush til it passes then continue to come in to the call. This is land so flat and open you can watch your dog run away for 2 weeks!!..LOL

What I have found is in the high traffic areas you must give them TIME to respond to the call. I have friends who will call for 15 or 20 minutes and they are ready to leave and try another spot...WRONG!!! I will set 35-45 minutes on a set, no I dont get one in every call, but I do call in a lot of coyotes that I would have otherwise not even knew they were on the way.

Give the afternoon calling a valid shot, give the dogs time to respond. Have a good hide and be comfortable enough to be able to sit 30-40 minutes....YOU WILL KILL YOTES!!!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Hunting coyotes at night is a double-edged sword, at least in the parts of the West where I've been able to legally hunt them at night using specialized lights, etc. You tend to see more animals, due to the light reflected off of eyes, but you may not get that many good shots because you have to draw them in close enough for a positive ID.

(Generalizing here, YMMV).

Hunting at night is, however, a real kick in the pants, because you never know what may come to a call in the dark. Depending on the location, things can get pretty interesting in a hurry.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Just another quick note...if you are hunting in a wooded area pay close attention to the wind. I have the occasional coyote that comes running straight in to the call, but most of the time they tend to come to the down wind side at around 70-100 yrds. if you cant see that far, you are going to be detected and they will scoot out on ya and you will never know you called one in. electrtonic call set 80 yrds up wind may do the trick!!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That's also been my experience hunting open country/deserts.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 721_tomahawk
cloudy evenings are the best..

A great big +1 on that.The vast majority I've called in have been the last hour of light on cloudy or overcast evenings.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

L
L
Everything is relative I guess. Thousands of pumpjacks over hundreds of miles doesn't equate to dozens of dwellings and mini-farms per square mile, accompanied by dogs, rv's, atv's, construction, bird/rabbit, and coon hunters, school buses, delivery trucks, and general car/truck traffic. Coyotes here are crepuscular but really much more nocturnal except for their mating season. The safest daylight for eastern coyotes is at the crack of dawn. Of course even in the east many states have SOME relatively large tracts of undeveloped "quiet" land where one could expect to get responses in the evening, but that's the exception to the rule.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I called one in the other day at about 4:40pm. The snowmobiles were buzzing around like banshees. There were a lot more snowmobile tracks than coyote tracks.
I was about ready to give up and try another spot when all of a sudden I saw it running through the thick brush off to my left.
I didn't have time for a shot but it was exciting to have one that close!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 1,971 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,887
Posts18,497,882
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.