Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Seems as though the ice isn't too thick. A couple guys had to be rescued today. They are safe but they lost there 'wheelers.

http://www.wben.com/Two-Men-Rescued-from-Icy-Lake-Erie-Waters/6374271

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tom264
Lets see now....iirc last time Lake Erie was froze over was 1977.............

I remember that year...anybody else?

Oh sure, Elvis died that year, right before(or after?) I was born!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I took a picture of one of my college roommates standing on top of a back road snow bank in 1977.... looking down at the power lines...

I also remember you PA guys driving the 7 miles from the PA line to the Westfield liquor stores and bars... NY drinking age was still 18 back then and PA was 21.... The roads would be littered with PA cars driven into ditches... kind of amazing any of you guys survivedwhistle

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remeber digging lumber out of the snow, the entire bunk burried. We had to use the ractor to plow out so we could work. Seems like we did snow half the day and worked on the house the other half. That was even after it stopped snowing, just digging out drifts.

I remember a semi got stuck in the snow on RT 60, out in the open. It was burried so it couldn't be seen. They dug that highway out with a front end loader. They guy in the truck was still alive. As I remember, the sherriff closed the roads.

Last edited by crosshair; 02/16/10.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
In Frewsburg we had drifts a foot over the kitchen door......

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was born and raised in Harbor Creek, 6 miles east of Erie, but tell everyone I'm from Erie. Soon as I got old enough I moved to a warmer climate, then to a drier climate. I left before the 77 storm but do recall going out onto the frozen lake - one of the dumber things I've done.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And we believed the scientists of that time, Ice age coming!

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by wildswalker
Originally Posted by crosshair
Lets see now....iirc last time Lake Erie was froze over was 1977.............

I remember that year...anybody else?

Oh yeah! We built my dad's house in the winter of 76-77. Shoveled a foot of snow off the deck most mornings. Cold as all heck, wind was fierce. Drove my car into a snow covered ditch on a back road with my girl friend Beverly (OK, I was preoccupied) Nasty winter

If you remember 1977, and know anything at all about western NY....then you remember the Blizzard of '77.

THAT, was a storm......
Thats exactly what I was referring to.

The Blizzard of '77

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't mess with ice. One shift in the wind and you could be dead. I remember reading of people who ran out on the lake all the way to Bass Islands, a few never coming back.

Last edited by crosshair; 02/16/10.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildswalker

If you remember 1977, and know anything at all about western NY....then you remember the Blizzard of '77.

THAT, was a storm......

Heck, I lived in Chicago then and it went through there too! I was a freshman in high school. Did a LOT of shoveling!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
And the reason it was such a Blizzard was not the amount of snowfall...it was the amount of blown snow that was blown all over WNY because of the frozen lake.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, I vividly recall hearing the ice pressuring cracking. That along with crawling over the snow covered pressure ridges was a dumb place for kids to be playing. I doubt my parents ever knew we were down there. The family house is about 1000 yds from Lake Erie and as young boys we were down there often throughout the entire year.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I took a picture of one of my college roommates standing on top of a back road snow bank in 1977.... looking down at the power lines...

I also remember you PA guys driving the 7 miles from the PA line to the Westfield liquor stores and bars... NY drinking age was still 18 back then and PA was 21.... The roads would be littered with PA cars driven into ditches... kind of amazing any of you guys survivedwhistle
Oddly enough, and in an obviously unplanned fit of sobriety, we didn't drink 'till we got home. Odd, now that I think of it....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I could talk about the "Rossby Wave" being stuck in an abnormal position this year -and why we British Columbians up here have had a total of four inches of snow this winter - and why we have flowers blooming now - but there is no point - your minds are made up - based on how you vote... whistle

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Boise
I was born and raised in Harbor Creek, 6 miles east of Erie, but tell everyone I'm from Erie. Soon as I got old enough I moved to a warmer climate, then to a drier climate. I left before the 77 storm but do recall going out onto the frozen lake - one of the dumber things I've done.
Harbor Crick, right? I was from Millcreek, er, crick. And we fish with minnies. I guess we're all from Erie, though not IN Erie. My family owned a fisheries (Ralph Fisheries)by the mouth of Walnut Creek from 1927 - 1973. We owned a bunch of the Manchester Valley, as well as the 1100 acre gamelands in Crossingville, off Rt. 98. Them were the days, my friend.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
And the reason it was such a Blizzard was not the amount of snowfall...it was the amount of blown snow that was blown all over WNY because of the frozen lake.

There was a LOT of snow....

The day it hit worst was on a Friday, or maybe a Saturday. One of those two days for sure but I'm leaning hard on that Friday, as I recall trying to keep the driveway open for Dad with a tiny azz Ford 8N and a back blade. He worked Friday nights and Saturdays part time in a camera shop at the time, and I distinctly remember everyone worrying about him getting home that night.

The wind blew like 40 hells for sure, but I can still see those golf ball+ sized snow flakes that just filled that driveway as fast as I could clear it.......

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
WW, I am also thinking it was on a Friday as we were getting my dads paycheck.....for some reason he wasnt at work...dont remember why.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I am delighted you are having a mild winter.I am sure you will enjoy it .I am in Texas and I am cold.All that pretty snow has left every piece of ground saturated.You cant even walk in the yard.Global warming my @ss.This is Texas,we dont do cold like this.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
WW, I am also thinking it was on a Friday as we were getting my dads paycheck.....for some reason he wasnt at work...dont remember why.

I remember missing a lot of school....

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BCBrian
I could talk about the "Rossby Wave" being stuck in an abnormal position this year -and why we British Columbians up here have had a total of four inches of snow this winter - and why we have flowers blooming now - but there is no point - your minds are made up - based on how you vote... whistle
Neat how you can take notice of the parts of the globe that are warmer, and ignore the parts that are cooler. "Global" being the key word here. Carbon does not seem to drive temp., and that is the real issue. Not whether it is cooler or warmer, but whether we are causing it. Seems your mind is made up too, but it's best not to make up data, if you want to find out the truth.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (01Foreman400, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 1_deuce, 18 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,089
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.