Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tom264 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm telling you guys....very shortly KY will have a 400" elk.

And then thereafter the world record.

Dear Thomas,
New State Record Non-Typical Elk - News from the Kentucky Conservation Coalition

If you are currently a member of the Kentucky Conservation Coalition, thank you for joining. Please share this e-mail with other outdoorsmen and women.

The mission of the Kentucky Conservation Coalition is to organize outdoorsmen and women, conservation groups and their members so that their united voices can be heard on important issues impacting fish and wildlife management, wildlife-related recreation interests, and natural resource conservation in Kentucky. Our fishing, hunting, trapping, and natural resource conservation heritage is depending on it. We need to pass the things we hold dear to the next generation, and the time to act is now. To join the KCC and its many partners, including The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources, please sign up for this FREE service by clicking here http://www.kycoalition.org.

Please Note: If the picture below is not visible, allow pictures from within your e-mail software.
Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
Announces New Non-Typical Bull Elk Record
Boone and Crockett Score - 372 6/8

News Release from The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources

New state record certified for bull elk with non-typical antlers; taken on public access land

FRANKFORT, KY. � Kentucky has a new state record for a bull elk with non-typical antlers.
Harrodsburg resident Terrell Royalty�s 7x7 elk scored 372 6/8 in the Boone and Crockett Club scoring system, besting the old record of 367 7/8 taken in Harlan County in 2008. Royalty took his record elk from a wildlife management area in Knott County on Oct. 4, 2009.
�This new state record shows the quality elk hunting we have on our public lands,� said Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources Commissioner Jon Gassett. �In addition to the great elk hunting on private lands, Kentucky boasts world-class elk hunting on public lands as well.�
A non-typical rack means the tines are not located in a typical location. Royalty�s elk had seven tines each on either side of its rack. The score is the totaled measurements of the main beams, tines, width and mass. The trophy could not be officially scored until after a 60-day drying period.
�I�ve hunted all of my life, I�ve had buck fever and all, but this bull was by far the biggest adrenaline rush of my life,� said Royalty, 52. �Once it hit the ground, I felt like I was being stabbed with a million needles and it lasted two or three hours. I was almost in shock.�
Royalty said he scouted the area with help from his friend Paul Moore, who participated in the 2008 cow elk hunt. �We started scouting well before the hunt and found this bull,� Royalty said. �Paul and I grew up together, and he helped me a bunch.�
The first week of the 2009 bull elk season started Saturday, Oct. 3. Royalty�s hunt proved fruitless for a day and half. Then, about 2 p.m. Sunday, Royalty, who was hunting with his best friend, Brad Smith, and guide Bob Hunter, heard a bugle.
�After we heard that bugle, we moved to get out front and downwind,� he said. �We tracked and tracked to stay out in front of this bull. About 5 p.m. or so, a cow calf came out and we cow called back and forth. Then, the one cow calf turned into about nine. The cows came out in twos and got older and bigger as they came out.�
The trophy bull then appeared in the clearing around 6 p.m. and bugled at another bull in the distance. �He turned broadside and everything was perfect,� Royalty said. �It took 15 minutes to get the right angle on him.�
Royalty, who estimated that he was 340 yards away from the bull, aimed his .300 Winchester Short Magnum rifle and shot only once.
Tina Brunjes, big game coordinator for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife, was not surprised to learn the record had been broken. �Kentucky continues to produce new state records with regularity,� she said. �Each year drawn hunters can reasonably expect a chance to beat the state record.�
Applications for this year�s hunt are now on sale online at fw.ky.gov, the official Web site of Kentucky Fish and Wildlife. It costs $10 to apply, and a hunter may apply only once. The drawing for the elk quota hunt is open to residents and non-residents. The deadline to apply for this year�s hunt is April 30.

If you enjoy receiving these free updates and would like to learn more about the Kentucky Conservation Coalition, please join by clicking here http://www.kycoalition.org.

If you are not currently a KCC member, please join the Kentucky Conservation Coalition by clicking here http://www.kycoalition.org.

Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy

thedatabank, inc.

[Linked Image]

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Cool.

I wouldn't be surpised to see some very big elk come out of these "transplant" states. When a species colonizes or is transplanted into a new area, they often occupy a unexploited forage niche. The new population can see very fast body growth rates and some exceptional individuals. It's the same thing when a new reservoir is built and fish are stocked, there is initially a very high growth rate.

But once the forage is grazed for a while, the quality and quantity decreases, then the party is over, and things return to "normal".......

When elk were introduced to islands off the coast of Alaska, where the most recent large ungulates had been mammoths 7-8 thousand years ago. With all the new forage, the Roosevelt elk acheived some unbelievable body wieghts for the first few generations.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't worry a whole lot about them running out of feed. The farmers keep planting the beans/corn/wheat every year... wink

I think the absolute lack of a tough winter will help KY/TN have a good chance at producing lots of bruiser eventually.

As an aside, the ranch where I did my graduate work still has the elk traps in place where elk were trapped to send to KY. UT got turkeys in the deal...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Utah does some great exchanges. we traded moose to Colorado for some turkeys..WTF?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess it's better than giving the tags to Don Peay... wink For this year, I'd be for trading some elk for some spring rains!

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I live around the new Eastern Elk, here in Tennessee and just a few minutes from the biggest herd in Kentucky...I do know for a fact the residents are getting fed up with them, and they are started to drop the same as the wolf in the west, if you know what I mean...

Most of the elk that are being killed in easern Kentucky are being shot from the road, because they are like pets, they just stand around in yards and fields like animals in a park...Don't believe me? come and ride with me around Harlan Kentucky one late summer afternoon. A guy I met last fall had got one in his garage and 2 bulls fighting in his front yard (he showed me video on his phone)... We also never had all these deer diseases before the elk

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I remember when they sent all those elk to KY. I think we got 2 turkeys for each elk. Most of the elk shipped were pregnant cows, so it was really a twofer for each elk shipped. I remember thinking at the time, What a terrible deal, who did we hire to negotiate that?

And I don't know about all your deer diseases. CW was around when we shipped the elk out. And even now it's only evident in the Eastern parts of the state. Which shows evidence of it coming in from Colorado.

So do the KY elk still show the weak 3rd like our Utah elk?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Neutral88
I live around the new Eastern Elk, here in Tennessee and just a few minutes from the biggest herd in Kentucky...I do know for a fact the residents are getting fed up with them, and they are started to drop the same as the wolf in the west, if you know what I mean...

Most of the elk that are being killed in easern Kentucky are being shot from the road, because they are like pets, they just stand around in yards and fields like animals in a park...Don't believe me? come and ride with me around Harlan Kentucky one late summer afternoon. A guy I met last fall had got one in his garage and 2 bulls fighting in his front yard (he showed me video on his phone)... We also never had all these deer diseases before the elk

Have you hunted "hunted" elk? I did this fall in Martin County, KY with a buddy that drew a cow elk tag. The elk learn very quickly where its safe to be. They will stand and stare at you in the safe zones (just like in Estes Park, CO). Catch them off a safe zone and its a hunt.

I'm not sure of the deer diseases you're talking about. I'd like to know the specifics. These are almost always an issue with game farms and KY does not allow big game cervid farming (in fact its illegal to bring them into the state). WV had CWD before KY elk showed up and it was largely a product of put and take operations. While I won't swear to it, I don't recall any confirmed CWD in KY. If anything, KY has been pretty disease free.

As for habitat, there's no big-time corn or soybean farming in Eastern KY. But, the reclaimed strip mines have been "farmed" with a variety of warm and cool season grasses to support the population. I know the DNR is continuing to up the permits to keep them under control and the state is trying to obtain better access to hunting.

Finally, I agree with Tom. It won't be long before you see a 400 point elk. I personally saw two that were pushing that size in December.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm wondering if the disease he's talking about isn't the deer equivilent of blue tongue in cattle? I know some areas in southern IN that have been hit pretty bad by it.

PS- Enzymatic hemorragiac disease seems to stick in my mind as the name.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
yes it is blue tongue, the whitetail have had at least one big outbreak that i know of since the elk...

Setters the elk I am talkin about are all around Harlan, like I said in people garage's and all

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've not heard of it in elk, but that doesn't mean much. I do know that starting in 1995 they were having cases of it in Indiana which has no elk...

T
Tom264 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by pointer
I'm wondering if the disease he's talking about isn't the deer equivilent of blue tongue in cattle? I know some areas in southern IN that have been hit pretty bad by it.
I do too.
I dont think our game and fish has given EHD enough credit.
It seems to me and my hunting companions to have wiped out at least 50% of the populations at least where we hunt.
Solution = more tags....... crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Condidering that the one buck a year rule (except for 'urban' counties) is about the extent of management that I've seen on a statewide or area basis I'm not sure they do know a whole lot about what's really happening. Almost forgot, they did eliminate harvest of does on some state lands...

Don't worry about he more tags, they can go anywhere else in the state! wink

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Are the Kentucky elk high fence or wild?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe the thread title should read NON-Typical record.

T
Tom264 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Are the Kentucky elk high fence or wild?
Wild.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
yes it is blue tongue, the whitetail have had at least one big outbreak that i know of since the elk...

Setters the elk I am talkin about are all around Harlan, like I said in people garage's and all

Hopefully, the state will allow some nuisance permits and stop that sort of thing. I'd like to think we have more sense than to have areas where elk are as obnoxious as they are in some parts of Colorado. Hunt them for a little while and that will stop.

On the first day of cow season, nearly 90% of the hunter's tagged out. My buddy had an issue at home and was delayed a couple of days. After the first days kill, it took 3 hard days to get a shot at a cow in a legal location while he could have killed a bunch just outside mine property, litterally within site of where we were hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We had blue tongue on our place in Whitley Co three years ago and there's not an elk within 25 miles of the place. I don't see a correlation. I sure hope we'll see on our place some day.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The new world record? I doubt it. If that was the case, Mossback would be in town already. mtmuley

T
Tom264 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by mtmuley
The new world record? I doubt it. If that was the case, Mossback would be in town already. mtmuley
Nobody said world record.....state record.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,082
Posts18,521,831
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.