Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
archer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Hi Folks,

Been looking at the forum for a long time and thought I'd finally pull up a chair to the campfire. I have a 9.3x62 that I found a few pet loads for it but am needing some of your opinions on which bullet would be the best(better) choice. There was a thread regarding 9.3 bullets last Nov. but didn't quite answer the few questions I have.

Load #1 Speer 270gr Hot Cor - groups under an inch at around 2,450 ft/sec

Load #2 Nosler 250gr Accubond - groups a little over an inch at around 2,500 ft/sec

I have not tried any of the 286's yet.

I should mention that I got this rifle for my general hunting needs in Alaska (primarily moose and grizzly). I've not had this hard of time deciding on a bullet for a cartridge before. I grew up only hunting deer in eastern MT and haven't had the opportunity to hunt the big stuff here in Alaska where bullet choice takes on a whole new meaning. Is the Hot Cor strong enough to fit the bill or should I go up to the premium bullets.

Thanks for your input folks!

Chris

GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO, either will work as the velocity is not enough to stress the standard bullet construction. I would lean towards the 250gr offering, and only go up if the big bears on the agenda.

You may not need 286's, but the Hornady offering would probably serve you very well at those velocities.

I have a couple of 9.3x64 Brenneke's, I haven't quite settled on a load yet myself. The best load I have found so far is the factory Brenneke 293gr TUG loading. But people have claimed those bullets aren't very tough.

I have had problems getting the Barnes 250gr TSX's to shoot, which kind of amazes me. As all the other TSX's I have used are superbly accurate. I have some of the 250gr AB's, 286gr Hornady's, and 286gr Nosler Partitions on the bench as well. But haven't had the time to go to the range to give them a test.

I have found the Barnes banded solids in 250gr to shoot pretty good, though I'll never need them in the field, just playing around.

I am handicapping myself, as I want one load for both rifles to keep the ammo confusion to a minimum.

Arcus Venator
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
the only problem i can see with the 286gr Hornady is if you want to crimp at the groove. it was designed for the 9.3x74r, so, your intended velocities should work well. the 9.3x62 has a shorter neck the the x74r, which means that if crimped at the groove it may encroach on powder space or not give you your desired OAL. YMMV

advntrjnky

8mm-06 = perfection
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have pretty much settled on the 250 AB in both of my 9.3s for North American hunting. If I ever get back to Africa, I would try some more 286 grain bullets to see how they stack up...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
you ll certainly chime Ted and it will tell you that speer 270 works very well at least in Yukon.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi CRS,

About TUG, maybe they are not tough as a Barnes X but TUG are very tough bullets created by Wilhelm Brenneke to be used in Africa, they are twin core bullets, where the first core tend to expand well while the second core in hardened lead, blocked by jacket lock, goes through game like a Partition or a Swift A-frame. Speer surely took inspiration for the first Grand Slam from TIG and TUG bullets. Lots of African game was killed by such bullets in 9,3x62 or 64. Friend of me use them with authority on cafer and equinoxialis buffalos for years. But think they must be hard to find in the US and very expensive.

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Archer,

Have a look at the 286 Nosler Partition, Federal loaded them in 9,3x74R for euro market and i loaded some for my 9,3s with great success on wild boars and red deers. Oryx from Norma is also very efficient bullet in 232grs, 286grs and 325grs.
Swift as also an A-frame that must do well.
Good choice

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
A
archer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks for the input everyone. I enjoy hearing what others are using for loads out there and have had experience with. It sounds like I can't go wrong with any of those bullets listed. Even though there is a limited group of bullet manufacturers making bullets in the 9.3 there are still enough options to make it fun to think about! If I had to pick right now I lean towards the 250 Accubond for my moose load based on bullet construction, accuracy and affordability. I am intrigued however with the Hornady 286 Interlock and as posted I've had great luck in accuracy with the Speer. I probably wouldn't crimp the Interlock for this so I think I'd be ok. It is an interesting dilemna that I enjoy mulling over. Still undecided though. If it was only one bullet what would you choose?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I started a 9.3x62 project several years ago. Ray Atkinson weighed in about bullets on another forum, and his advice was dead-on. If I remember correctly, the upshot was that the Speers were a little too soft for the 9.3x62, but it would be best to get it directly from him.

I went with the 286-grain Nosler after that and was happy with the results on several feral cattle at ranges from 30-120m.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two tests, one subject with the 286 Hornady were very positive:

[Linked Image]

The bullets opened well out of my x74R #1, they both exited, and they made the bear first sick, then very dead.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I can't speak to either of those bullets but the 286gr Oryx works well. In case you look for a heavy later.

A
archer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Hard to argue with that proof!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My 9.3X62 shoots both Hornady 286's and Nosler Partitions equally well with the same charge of RL15. My choice in your situation would be to shoot the Hornady's for general purposes and the Noslers if big bear or moose were a serious possibility. You don't need to crimp 9.3X62 loads.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the virtues of the 9.3's is moderate velocity, so most bullets work pretty well on most game.

I have used the 250 AccuBond and 286 Partition, plus the 250 TSX, on game more than anything else, tough have used a few of some other bullets as well, including the 232 and 286 Oryx.

The 250 AccuBond is extremely versatile I load it to around 2650 fps, which basically matches the factory .338 Winchester load. It has worked fine on African plains game out to 300+ yards and on an Alaskan grizzly at 60-75 yards. The first shot on the grizzly entered along the edge of the left shoulder and exited the right shoulder. The second shot (as the bear ran angling away) entered behind the right shoulder and ended up under the hide the neck on the far side, retaining 81% of its weight. At that the bear went down.

The 286 Partition is great on really heavy game. It has the Partition well forward so typically retains around 90% of its weight. In fact it will typically out-penetrate the 250 TSX.

The Oryxes tend to open wider than the Noslers or TSX's, so won't penetrate as deeply (especially the 232) but they sure do make a big hole.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard more than one person remark that the 270 Speer can be a bit soft. I've done well with the 250 Accubond on Bison. I have a bunch of 250 TSX's and 286 Hornadys that will get used some day. Also, the 286 Lapua Mega RN which I bought when they were about 1/4 the price they are now.

A
archer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
husqvarna - Is there much POI difference between your 286 Hornady and the 286 partitions with Re 15? I like the versatility of using a more affordable range bullet with not much difference in grouping as a hunting load. I have settled with the 250 Accubond for most of my hunting here and will build a load in the 286 Partition for grizzly although from what I have learned here the 250 would be just fine, too. I have really enjoyed the posts guys and having a lot of fun with this 9.3.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Mine likes factory norma ammo loaded with 250 aframes but I will be loading up some 250 TSX soon.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The Hornadys and Noslers have the same exact POI with my CZ 550FS which has a short, heavy barrel. In fact all the bullets I've tried maintain a fairly close zero. I don't know if this is the result of the stiff barrel or if it is an inherent trait of medium bores. Also I'm getting good velocities from a short barrel with RL15. Your right, 9.3s are fun; mine has become my go to rifle even though I rarely hunt anything larger than deer or pigs.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
320gr. woodliegh;
IMO were I to use any bullet in nine three for grizzly it would have to be the 320 woodliegh. Out penetrate anything else for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have very little experience with this caliber and have been trying the 286-gr bullets to find one my double rifle in 9.3x74 will throw together, aside from the Norma Oryxs it was regulated with.

The Oryxs are a bonded bullet and I can tell you that they worked very well on this bison taken at about 100 yds. Mz vel was about 2350 fps.

[Linked Image]

The two on the right were taken out from under the hide on the far side. I apologize for the quality of the pic's. As had been said, at the mz vel of the 9.3s (other than perhaps the x64) most bullets should work well. A double rifle just presents another predicament. grin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by goodnews; 02/16/10.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,415
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.