Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Perhaps this should be in the Canada forum but want to start here. I/we are planning a caribou hunt for 2011 and would like outfitter suggestions. I am looking to take my second caribou hunting trip. My first was with Club Chambeau in 1988. The trip was OK, but not spectacular caribou wise. We were in the Caniapiscau drainage and the 'bou were not that plentiful. Also, Club Chambeau did not offer a transfer to another camp at this time in '88. Therefore I am looking for recommendations from this forum. I/we are looking for the best hunt for our money. Perhaps in Sept. for the really good caribou bulls. Thanx for any and all help in this request. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Because of recent events in Quebec, I think the best thing to do would be to pick an outfitter with a reputation for honesty and trustworthiness. I've never hunted with them, but Jack Hume Adventures seems to fit that description from everything I've read.

I've heard his area has some pretty nice bulls too.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
+1 on Hume. - - - - 1e-6 on Club Chambeaux. They are the McDonalds of hunting camps.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A friend and I hunted with Hume in 2003. Top notch outfit all the way.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Another vote for Hume..I've hunted with them twice and would do it every year if I could afford it..

I have a buddy who is planning his 10th trip with Hume..That kind of repeat business speaks for itself..

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Chambeaux, well i cant comment on there that much but i worked for them one season and never again ... but that s your money.

in fact the problem in Schefferville is whatever outfitter you re selecting you ll need one with at least (his own) two aircrafts (one can fail ...) not rental ones be sure about that and they got too commercial licenses not private.

then second ask for references but even the one that didnt caribous which i m pretty sure is not documented ... never trust a salesman he s selling and wont be with you in the toundra ... and geat a real signed hunting contract with everything on.

and bring with you your good mood and good spirit : caribou is a migration animal so it can be somewhere and the other day at another one ... without running 35 miles is nothing for them ... walk 5 miles on the tundra and you ll see what i mean.

rubber boots is you lovely item you ll cherish. bring too good waterproof gear boat, waves and winds are a good mix to start a frosty day.

in one day you can have sun, wind, rain, snow, ice and a mix of all and you can have this for 6 days. temp can drop up to -10�c in an instant.

it may happens too that the weather is really bad this year (2009) hunters stayed at Kuujjuuaq and Schefferville for 5 days not able to reach hunting camps nor moving to the south (fog then wind) so be mentally prepared is the key.

have a good day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I too have heard real bad things about Chamboux....Go with Jack Hume. They're an honest outfitter that offers various levels of camps from basically self guided to deluxe with multiple guides, atvs,boats and even a cook.

We did the self guided package several years ago and had a ball.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last fall (3rd week of September) 5 of us went with Leaf River Lodge with success. Here is our report.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...e_Quebec_Caribou_Hunt_Report#Post3425895

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
this is a very good outfit and Alain is working very hard but they didnt own any planes ...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They did organize flights to move people to the animals though. In fact, I moved twice.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My best friend went this past fall to Safari Nordik. I had an invite but it was too steep for my wallet last year.
They had a great experience and all three in his group tagged out on day two. After day one, they didn't have a good report about any migration moving towards them and were alerady planning to move them. The next pilot in told them to hold tight and that the caribou should be there the following day. Sure enough, they were.
Of course, they had loads of fun but said it was nothing short of shooting cattle in a field. Just more windy, less trees and the cattle have racks for head gear...

good luck on your search.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good friend of mine went to Safari Nordik in 09 also and it was not as advertised. They were at the tail end of the season after being bumped from the 08 roster. The guides didnt want to be there and actually hampered their success by spooking game on several occasions. out of three guys, one guy shot two dinks, another guy got one OK animal and they third guy never had an opportunity. To top it off, the after hunt report has not been followed up on. They advertise a guarentee, but have not followed up on it yet. Additionally, the animals that were shot, the guides wasted a LOT of meat according to my buddy. Just one report, so not indicitive of all hunts, but theirs was a big disappointment.

Salmonhead
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Cacciatore
They did organize flights to move people to the animals though. In fact, I moved twice.

that s true but it was with Air Saguenay and this is not their aircrafts. it s the ones for Chambeaux so the day they (chambeaux) need them you ll get not plane.
but you had pleasure and success it s the most important.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jack Hume is outstanding. I hunted with them in '07 and am planning on going again in '12.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe they share everything with Chambeaux from their float planes, plane for transport to and from Montreal, even hunting areas.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
if you want to go deep inside :

Transport from Scheferville is made with Nolinor : co-owner Jean-claude Tremblay who is owner too of air saguenay and club chambeaux and co-owner too of Leaf river lodge then you got a nice picture of who is owning the ops in schefferville ...

edit : Jack hume owns a cesna 185 (yellow one) and lease a otter from Air saguenay as i can tell for someone that worked hard in Schefferville you re tied by air saguenay and JC Tremblay. im a quebecer and know very well the ops there more than the people than stayed one week a year. he s covering the whole system on that side of Quebec.

Last edited by ruger375; 02/22/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know near that much. I was just learning on the fly last September.
I have heard a lot of good things about Hume as well while doing my research.

If I were to go again, it would be a tough decision on whether I went with Leaf River again or Hume.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you considered at all the idea of doing it your own in Alaska?

Just a thunk

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by ruger375
if you want to go deep inside :

Transport from Scheferville is made with Nolinor : co-owner Jean-claude Tremblay who is owner too of air saguenay and club chambeaux and co-owner too of Leaf river lodge then you got a nice picture of who is owning the ops in schefferville ...

edit : Jack hume owns a cesna 185 (yellow one) and lease a otter from Air saguenay as i can tell for someone that worked hard in Schefferville you re tied by air saguenay and JC Tremblay. im a quebecer and know very well the ops there more than the people than stayed one week a year. he s covering the whole system on that side of Quebec.

You must know the Ouellette's then;Norman and his son's?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 46 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,250
Posts18,504,685
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.