Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Montana does have a fair amount of wilderness but it in no way compares with British Columbia or Alberta. Just drive to Muncho Lake once and you will see....or just look at a map.

ddj

The Muskwa-Kechika wilderness area in the Northern Rockies of BC is 6.4 million Hectors (2.2 acres) so is pretty big. All that said I see no reason why wolves need only be in valst wilderness areas. If there is prey, a few wolves is a good thing as long as they are managed.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tangozulu
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Montana does have a fair amount of wilderness but it in no way compares with British Columbia or Alberta. Just drive to Muncho Lake once and you will see....or just look at a map.

ddj

The Muskwa-Kechika wilderness area in the Northern Rockies of BC is 6.4 million Hectors (2.2 acres) so is pretty big. All that said I see no reason why wolves need only be in valst wilderness areas. If there is prey, a few wolves is a good thing as long as they are managed.

That is what we haven't had....management

That is where the problem is.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In B.C - they are nothing but yet another species for us to hunt - same as everything else.

This is as it should be - in my opinion.

The SHOULD be here. They should - ALSO - be hunted.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
B.C. is bigger than most people realize.

It's about the same size as Montana, California and New York State combined.

Most of it (except near Vancouver) very sparsely populated.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
We havent had wolf management?

Really?

The USFWS, along with state agencies have been killing wolves for over 10 years.

MT and ID hunters killed a bunch this year...and portions of Idaho are still open to hunter "management" of wolves...

If you're worried about a lack of management...go buy a tag and become part of the management solution instead of continuing to part of the problem.

I'm tired of the whiners doing nothing.

Last edited by BuzzH; 02/12/10.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BCBrian

Exactly why your Canadian situation is not analogous to the lower 48 .

Plus I'd guess your wolf hunting regs are quite liberal......compared to a few token tags in Idaho and Montana .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

Plus I'd guess your wolf hunting regs are quite liberal......compared to a few token tags in Idaho and Montana .

BC also has 7 times the wolves as Montana. So what's was the problem? Your token tags. Idaho has a counted population estimate of 900. Their quota was over 200. They also killed a lot of wolves for other reasons. Montana has a estimated population of 500 to 600 and our quota was 72. It filled, and the livestock predations accounted for over another 130. That's pretty good management don't you think?

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BuzzH
We havent had wolf management?

Really?

The USFWS, along with state agencies have been killing wolves for over 10 years.

MT and ID hunters killed a bunch this year...and portions of Idaho are still open to hunter "management" of wolves...

If you're worried about a lack of management...go buy a tag and become part of the management solution instead of continuing to part of the problem.

I'm tired of the whiners doing nothing.

Buzz -

The ultimate in mismanagement was the reintroduction of the wolves. If regulating elk populations was the driving force behind the wolf plan, hunters would have paid for tags to hunt and bring their numbers into check. It will be interesting to see what the success rates were for the hunters in Montana and Idaho after the first wolf hunts.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Mismanagement according to whom?

You know whats funny...I attended a couple dozen scoping meetings in Montana on the wolf reintroduction...I listened to the public commments, made some myself. I went home, I read the draft EA, the draft EIS...did the same with the final EIS.

I applied my comments and got involved in the process.

I also clearly remember a majority of people responding in favor of wolf reintroduction. Of course, there were people who opposed it, but maybe 1 out of 10 people objected to the reintroduction. There were a few hundred scoping meetings held in various locals across WY, MT, and ID, the same thing at all of them.

Where was everyone then??? Playing Rip-VanWinkle?

Too late to drain the swamp when you're up to your a$$ in alligators...reactive hunters whining about it NOW is doing NOTHING.

The facts are that a vast majority of the people that responded to the EA and EIS process and attended the scoping meetings were in favor of the rintroduction. Hunter complacency in getting involved isnt my problem...I was there trying to address the problems...were you?

It wasnt forced on anyone...I was there and I saw what happened, I've read the EIS, I've looked at the public comments...all 90% in favor.

...and no hunters couldnt have kept the number of elk in Yellowstone in check. It was tried for 40-50 years and despite liberal winter range hunting between Dec. 1 and Feb. 28th the elk population was at an all-time high of right around 20,000 in the Yellowstone herd. Hunters werent controlling jack...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 4100fps
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

BC also has 7 times the wolves as Montana. So what's was the problem? Your token tags. Idaho has a counted population estimate of 900. Their quota was over 200. They also killed a lot of wolves for other reasons. Montana has a estimated population of 500 to 600 and our quota was 72. It filled, and the livestock predations accounted for over another 130. That's pretty good management don't you think?

At first glance to me it would look short .

At 5 to 600 , that would be roughly 100 packs in Montana,,,,if a pack kicks out a litter of 4 , you just doubled what the hunting season plus USF&W took out......and the wolf population goes up by another 200

yeah , in my book 72 tags is a token amount for Montana.......

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
At 600...they killed 1/3 of the population this year by whacking 200.

Leaving 400...likley not 100 packs with a total population of 400.

You arent going to recruit 200 new wolves this year in Montana.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a fact that many anti wolf reintroduction experts don't know, or refuse to take into consideration.

THE WOLF WOULD HAVE BEEN HERE WITH OR WITHOUT THE REINTRODUCTION! Might have taken about 3 or 4 more years to populate down to Wyoming, but rest assured they were coming. We are also going to have to figure out how to live with Grizzlies. They are going to be wide spread in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho within 10 years. That's without reintroducing them. At least I'll be spared the spew on the non native larger than normal beast grizzly that WS introduced. LOL

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Buzz I'm not quite sure how reliable your info is on how many people favored reintroduction.I was at meetings in 5 different counties here in Idaho and you are correct in the 90% part,however it was not in favor of reintroduction.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DPole
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

It ain't DisneyLand out there--never has been.

Casey

Was out in the yard a few days ago, just 50 yards from the house, and had a wolf chase a deer right past me. The deer was only a couple of feet ahead of the wolf. Both were really fast! I've had wolves in the yard, and have seen wolves chase and/or kill deer out farther from the house, but right past me, 10 feet away, 50 yards from the house was a new one. It was way cool, the hair up on my neck, my .357 drawn. Way cool. I followed the trails for a few hundred yards where the two trails separated. Looked like the deer got away that time.

Too cool! I love living here. smile

I have to call Bullsh!t Dpole. You're saying you were out in YOUR yard and you're packing? Where do you live, San Quentin? Why you keeping heat on you, you afraid of the big bad wolf? Let me guess, you also pinch a duece on the toilet while strapped because you're afraid of Brown Trout biting you in the arse? Give me a [bleep] break already.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The best way to get rid of any game species is to let it NOT be a game species. Let the wolf be protected and eventually it will be extinct. As far as it's impact on game. I agree it takes it's toll on game animals and should be managed. Hunters will only get the stupid, young and feeble animals. Look at the coyote. The smart ones don't answer to calls and rarely are fooled by even the best trap set ups. Coyotes have been hunted, trapped and poisoned for generations. They still are far from being extinct. As far as habitat being gone for wolf populations to thrive, that's a load of BS. How do explain a pack of 12 wolves roaming the streets of Ironwood Michigan, plundering garbage cans and the local pet population. A team of "Federal Hunters" had to be called in to take care of the pack. If you think that is a load of crap well, they were recorded on a surveillance camera by a local business owner who was told that he was full of crap. They adapt like everything else. I really don't see the hang up on hunting them. Make them valuable by making them a game species. The smart and healthy will survive and the hunters will take out the weak and stupid. Just like everything else. I will say one positive on the wolf population that I can't even deny. As much as I dislike them the deer population has had one benefit. The deer I do see are healthy and big. Although my average deer sightings have gone from around 30 a day to about 5 to 8.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (AKislander, 300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, Alan_C, 11 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,562
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.