Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have one scope wit the fast focus (Euro type) and the rest are the old type with a lock ring. I like the lock ring type better. Set it and forget it. If you like the Euro type fast focus that's fine with me.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I much prefer the old type with lock ring. The only need for it is in initial focus of the reticle. Should never need to be changed unless there is another user of the same scope. I would not buy a scope with the Euro fast focus because it is useless and much bulkier.

Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by guy57
It seems that several if not most other brands offer this why does Leupold still lag behind? They say they have it but they don't. I love the feature, is there a reason not to have it? Guy

The reason is because a whole lot of people still prefer the locking style, me included. I have both styles and have used both styles, I hate the euro fast focus style, ok maybe hate is a little strong of a word for it, but you get my point.

Everyone seems to forget the whole purpose of the of the ocular focus is mainly for the reticle, WHY IN THE HELL would you want to be changing it constantly?!

And I will have to say one thing that E was right about and even I thought he was a full of BS too when he first said it. The fast focus euro style CAN get turned out of focus from rubbing against a pack etc.

It happened to me last season in New Mexico, the scope had a fast focus eyepeice that was very stiff, I never would have thought it get turned by accident while hunting, I was wrong. I had a buck jump up from a canyon and I threw the gun up and all I could see was a big blur, luckily the buck wasn't big enough but if I had needed to take a shot I would have been screwed.
I thought "what the heck", and then realized the eyepeice had turned about two and a half revolutions from focus. I had been carrying the rifle part of the time on my pack scabbard because of steep terrain and apparently the movement and rubbing on the pack had turned it.

Would a locking ocular have turned also, sure it could have, but because of the slower focus ratio I still could have easily made the shot.

So while I still own both, make mine a locking ocular ring. Fast focus eyepeices could go away forever and wouldn't bother me a bit.

just my .02

Bill

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
tx270, I'll ask you the same question I asked E then about the euro style focuser . I think we'd all agree that Leupold's intent with the VX 7 was the very best offering that they could come up with in the hunting scope wars. After all we all know how competitive it is nowadays. If there aim was to create and produce the very best hunting scope they could, why did they outift this $1000 plus model with a euro style focus system? Just so they could be like everyone else?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Just so they could be like everyone else?

I think thats your answer right there.

Because its the "in" thing at this time, and having the "in" thing sells scopes, even if its not any better.

Being the "in" thing doesn't automatically make it better. I've seen alots of things over the years that sold a bunch because at one time they were new and different and "in", be it scopes, rifles, cars, etc. that actually weren't really that great.

I'm not saying fast focus eyepeices on riflescopes don't have their place, but it is firmly my opinion (however, it is just my opinion) that locking eyepeices are better for a rough and tumble hunting rifle.

For a rifle that sits in a wooden box or tree stand 90% of the time it really makes no difference. On a prairie dog rifle I could even say the fast focus might be better.

Another small pet peeve is flip up caps don't work worth a damn on them, and like you, where I hunt alot of the time its dusty as all get out.

Bill

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[quote=tx270It happened to me last season in New Mexico, the scope had a fast focus eyepeice that was very stiff, I never would have thought it get turned by accident while hunting, I was wrong. I had a buck jump up from a canyon and I threw the gun up and all I could see was a big blur, luckily the buck wasn't big enough but if I had needed to take a shot I would have been screwed.
I thought "what the heck", and then realized the eyepeice had turned about two and a half revolutions from focus. I had been carrying the rifle part of the time on my pack scabbard because of steep terrain and apparently the movement and rubbing on the pack had turned it.

Would a locking ocular have turned also, sure it could have, but because of the slower focus ratio I still could have easily made the shot.

Bill [/quote]

JG, read that part of my previous post again and you will see my main reason I don't prefer them.

Last edited by tx270; 02/20/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Turning the eyepiece 2-1/2 turns on my Conquests would categorically NOT turn a buck into an unshootable blur. No WAY.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's not fast focus then, is it?

If the fast focus eyepiece has a total of one turn end-to-end, and it does not knock the scope out of focus to turn it that much, then it isn't working anyway.

If the Conquest has over 2.5 turns of adjustment, then how is that any different than the fast focus Leupie anyway?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I need to correct part of my statement, when I said two and a half revolutions I should have said two and a half twists of my hand which I'm sure doesn't equal a full 2 1/2 revolutions.

And Jeff O and DakotaDeer the scope was a Burris FFII, and on that scope, yes it will.

Even if it hadn't blurred the image, it should not have turned that much irregardless.

Bill

Bill

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Good answer tx270. We sure need to use what we feel the most confidence in for sure. I understand your point of view completely. Some like 'em, some don't, and thats fine by me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

T
T
Not sure several posters are talking about. The focus ring is for setting the cross hair not the view. That is why Leupold has not changed a system that has served there scope well for a llong time. Set it once and hunt. If you are fooling with that ring in the field your focusing on the wrong thing it should be on the target.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tx270
I need to correct part of my statement, when I said two and a half revolutions I should have said two and a half twists of my hand which I'm sure doesn't equal a full 2 1/2 revolutions.

And Jeff O and DakotaDeer the scope was a Burris FFII, and on that scope, yes it will.

Even if it hadn't blurred the image, it should not have turned that much irregardless.

Bill

Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm envious of your NM hunt...

Sorry if my last post seemed... brusque. I was working, tapped it out fast on my phone.

I just checked. My 3-9 Conquest has two total rotations available. At the far extreme, in the low light out there right now, it was a little blurry, no question. It wouldn't keep me from shooting but it was indeed blurry, as would be expected.

Your experience is a valid data point, sorry if I seemed harsh, and thanks for reporting it!

So far, I'm my short ten years of hunting big game with scoped rifles, the only "problem" I've had with oculars has been Leupold locking rings loosening, and then the ocular turning. With the "slow focus" fine-thread Leupold setup, it dint hardly matter anyway! grin

I'll add that it's much easier for me and my lame-ass eyes to find focus nirvana with a fast-focus. Otherwise my eyes try to compensate and it's a real PITA. But that's just me, maybe.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I know what you mean about the PITA on the initial focus if one has bad eyesight, I did until I had my eyes lasered a few yrs ago (best thing I ever did).

But like tracker12 and others have said the ocular focus is supposed to be set it and forget it, at least for the intial focuser, and its mainly for the crosshairs.

I still don't see the advantage to "fast focus" , its not something your supposed to be jacking with after its set for you, its not meant to work like an AO adjustment.

Bill

Last edited by tx270; 02/20/10.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Yet another trend setting add-on to sell scopes . Fast focus is BS to me , explain again why I need it ? I focus my scopes to suit MY eyes and lock it in , after I have my eyes tested every year or so I check to see the focus is correct. Is this the way to do it or am I missing something? Any optical focus can move if it's not locked, Murphy's law says so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find that the FF is just a gimmic to sell something that isn't needed. I've tried a couple and on a couple of rifle it required me to use the next higher ring set to clear the bolt handle. I'll stick with my Weaver Classics, Sightron II and Leupolds. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to hear.

I do prefer the lock ring myself. Or no focus as in the Leupold Scout Scope.

I also prefer fixed magnification scopes.

I also prefer low magnification scopes (highest owned 4,75x)

I would buy a scope without internal adjustments if offered.

That is just me though - not an optic loon as you can tell.

I think it great, that all the turrets, flip up caps, high grip adjustment ring with raised bumps, dot and yonder reticles, abrasionproof coatings and new lens coatings (just when can we start using scopes as flashlights?)

are available to those you need and are willing to pay for them.

What I fear is getting left behind.

Clean cut scopes - as small as possible, as large as needed.

KISS approach:

Mount, sight in, leave it. Hunt it. Do not ding it. Check periodically - stays on. smile

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tx270
I know what you mean about the PITA on the initial focus if one has bad eyesight, I did until I had my eyes lasered a few yrs ago (best thing I ever did).

But like tracker12 and others have said the ocular focus is supposed to be set it and forget it, at least for the intial focuser, and its mainly for the crosshairs.

I still don't see the advantage to "fast focus" , its not something your supposed to be jacking with after its set for you, its not meant to work like an AO adjustment.

Bill

I agree with all that. I don't mess with it. I was just initially responding to the idea that the fast focus oculars, at least the ones on my Conquests, were something a guy has to worry about in the woods. I think that's a non-issue though obviously it bit you so, there it is, it happens I guess. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,407
Posts18,528,000
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.