Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3822448 02/21/10
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I saw this Remington mentioned in another thread. When I was a kid in the 60's it seemed like everyone had one of these. I think they were considered quite a leap in technology at the time. I suddenly realized that I havent seen one in 30 years.
Are they still out there and how collectable? Cost?

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
as I remember they sold for about 40 bucks back in the day....last gun show, I saw a couple for 250-300 bucks...wish I had bought a truck load back then....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
While everyone was raving the intro of the synthetic stock on hunting rifles back in the late 80' early 90's seems that Remington had that destiction back when the Nylon 66 and the first XP-100 came out!!!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well Tango (or anyone else) If you have a 66 in Seneca green it's probably not worth a thing because it is so ugly. I will take it off your hands for the shipping charges. And per chance you have a Nylon Model 11, just let me know and we can work out a deal where you won't be embarassed being seen with it.

Supposedly the Nylon 66 was discontinued in 1991.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
as I remember they sold for about 40 bucks back in the day....last gun show, I saw a couple for 250-300 bucks...wish I had bought a truck load back then....

Believe it or not, they are poor investments. I still have the receipt for the one I bought in 1978 and it was $70. In today's money, according to the Federal Reserve, that translates to $230.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Ive got one that I use for shooting gophers...mounted a red dot on it and use it for "rolling in hot"......when you first hit a fresh field and the dumb ones stand around for a few seconds.... wink

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that Remington wore out the molds and then sold them to an outfit in Brazil that made some that were imported into the US by FIE(?).

Search on AA, GA, or GB for "Nylon 22" and you'll come up with a pile of them. 1 word of caution, the Nylon 66s with the tubular magazine through the butt, like a Civil War Spencer, almost always feed well. OTOH, the Nylon 77s and 10-Cs that used a plastic clip magazine are hit or miss in the feeding department.

Jeff

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In a pinch you can scrape some of the plastic off the stock for a fire starter when it's all wet and rainy.

(duckin' for cover)

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The FIE rifles aren't parts-switchers for the Remingtons.

My Rem had a ratty stock on it, but I found a guy at a gunshow who had a bunch of brand new ones for $25, so I bought one and installed it...kinda complicated as the stock is part of the action.

Back where I grew up, in the N.GA mountains, coon hunters loved them because they were lightweight to hump.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have two in the family, and neither has ever missed a lick...just NEVER take one apart!! eek eek

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
OTOH, the Nylon 77s and 10-Cs that used a plastic clip magazine are hit or miss in the feeding department.

Jeff

Jeff is correct, I had a 77 back in the day, it wouldn't shoot CCI's worth a hoot with either of two magazines. Federals did fine though.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What's different, Gene? I have a Brazilian one, but all I really know about it is:
1) It was made before American production apparently stopped? (1991?)
2) It was made on Remington machinery by a company that was Remington + the Brazilian gov't (as they all were).
3) It's an outstanding gun!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by MZ5
What's different, Gene? I have a Brazilian one, but all I really know about it is:
2) It was made on Remington machinery by a company that was Remington + the Brazilian gov't (as they all were).

One questionable source that I read stated that Remington US production stopped in 1989. Could be they shipped the machines to Brazil along with some technical help for a couple of years to end Remington's involvement in 1991.

My Apache Black has never, ever misfed and seldom been cleaned more than a brush and patch down the bore.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The first rifle I ever shot was my Dad's Mohawk brown Nylon 66. He took it apart one day after it jammed several times in the middle of a pig killin'. He ended up taking the partially reassembled Nylon and trading it in for a Ruger 10/22. Don't take 'em apart unless you know what your doing.

I've currently got one of the F.I.E. imports in Apache black that I paid $40 for. It looks like a $40 dollar gun on the outside (treated rough by a previous owner), but functions flawlessly.

Makes a nice beater truck gun, and weighs less than my Ruger MKII Target pistol.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The FIE was made in Jacksonville, Arkansas for a short period of time. I have a cousin that worked at the factory when they made them. I can't remember what year but when I see him I will ask. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I shot one years ago but didn't like it because it rattled my teeth. I think the hollow stock caused it. All I know is a couple of shots were enough for me.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Where I live, all of us kids wanted one in the '60's, only a couple of well-to-do kids had them. I came across one a few years ago, like new, bought it. Just last weekend I had it out with the SIL and grandsons, we put a bunch of rounds through it, quit when we got tired of handling .22 lr's in freezing cold weather. It's a good shooter with iron sights. Conventional wisdom is don't scope it. The action parts move in the nylon receiver, the tip off mount grooves are in a steel piece that is actually just a sheet metal cover to hold the parts in and is not attached to the nylon receiver in any way that is rigid enough to maintain zero. These guns sure exemplify the term "space age" which was in common use in the sixties.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Gene L

Back where I grew up, in the N.GA mountains, coon hunters loved them because they were lightweight to hump.

That's precisely why I bought mine. I was 16, lived in the mountains of Eastern KY and had just taken up coon hunting.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by cra1948
It's a good shooter with iron sights. Conventional wisdom is don't scope it. The action parts move in the nylon receiver, the tip off mount grooves are in a steel piece that is actually just a sheet metal cover to hold the parts in and is not attached to the nylon receiver in any way that is rigid enough to maintain zero. These guns sure exemplify the term "space age" which was in common use in the sixties.

I can't agree with that statement. First those terrible iron sights are so wide they will completely coverup a jackrabbit at a 100 yards, and if you can't see it, it's sure hard to hit. I mounted a 1" Tasco 6x power scope on mine and have never had a problem with many thousands of rounds fired over the past 41 years. (Geez has it really been that long?) There was also a rumor that if you braced the flimsy stock against a solid object it would shoot off a couple of inches and that is false in my experience.

Didn't Remington start advertising the dependabilty of these rifles with some guy shooting 10,000 hand thrown wood blocks?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MZ5

I don't know the differences, and probably spoke when I shouldn't have. I was told the parts (perhaps not ALL parts, but some) didn't swap out by a gunsmith.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,348
Posts18,526,992
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.