Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I actually went two months w/o a 375 when I found this on GB.

Don't know why Ruger dropped them but IMO a lot nicer than a gussied up Hawkeye.

Should be sufficient for charging gophers.

[Linked Image]

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Is it a H & H or a ruger 375, it looks great. One can't be without a 375. Throw a 2.5-8 vx 3 on it and ......Bingo!!!! you are ready for hunting the world.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It is a REAL 375.... that means 375 H&H. These were chambered for serious cartridges 375 H&H, 404 and 416 Rigby as I recall.
Probably will get the 1.75-6 VX III I bought here. Guess they stopped making them because very few, if any, Rugers come with real Circassian Walnut anymore. Not like the early days when it seemed every 77 & #1 had fantastic wood.

Sold my Sauer 90 Lux 375 to a friend who just had to have it for an Alaskan hunt. Hope this one is as accurate and fast. It wins the "cool" contest over the Sauer because it just looks so British.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yep!......I`ll bet that rifle is alot better lookin than you there Oldman!!!! At the very least, I do admire your taste in this particular rifle.

So! A 375 H&H is a ,,,,"REAL",,,,375 uh! I suppose its the "ONLY REAL" 375 too???

Well! You may want to think so! For your H&H and also for you too of course, how high would you like your pedestal to be???

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice.

RH

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well squeeze we'll see if the 375 Ruger is around in 98 more years given it's vast popularity and all the companies that are chambering for it. No doubt it works and if you think you need a short barrel and don't mind buying factory ammo with special powders we can't buy, then it's a great choice.

I love em' all but admit a bias to Holland and Holland since their guns were killing big game while Bill Ruger and Joyce Hornady were still a gleam in daddy's eye.

My pedestal can be as tall as a 375 H&H because it's not some sawed off runt built, not to a standard, but rather to fit in a 30-06 length action. Has worked for almost 100 years and will still be around after the Ruger "shorties" are in the box with the 7x61, 17 Remington, all the WSSMs & SAUMs and the 22 WRF.

There are 250 GTs and Supras... some of us appreciate the differences.

Good shooting (while the ammo lasts)

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have never fired one but have heard from a reliable source that the .378 Weatherby is about as "real" as it gets! wink
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Well squeeze we'll see if the 375 Ruger is around in 98 more years given it's vast popularity and all the companies that are chambering for it. No doubt it works and if you think you need a short barrel and don't mind buying factory ammo with special powders we can't buy, then it's a great choice.

I love em' all but admit a bias to Holland and Holland since their guns were killing big game while Bill Ruger and Joyce Hornady were still a gleam in daddy's eye.

My pedestal can be as tall as a 375 H&H because it's not some sawed off runt built, not to a standard, but rather to fit in a 30-06 length action. Has worked for almost 100 years and will still be around after the Ruger "shorties" are in the box with the 7x61, 17 Remington, all the WSSMs & SAUMs and the 22 WRF.

..............Ok Guys! Watch and read how I blow this above and last post (by "Old Buzzard!",,,Whoooops! Excuse me; I meant "Mr Oldman1942!"),,,right out of the water!!!

He says,,,,"We`ll see if the 375 Ruger is around in 98 more years.".......I say "WHO CARES. "WE`LL ALL BE DEAD!" Unless of course Mr Oldman found the "fountain of youth" somewhere! I`m not concerned with 98 years from now, let alone another 30 years........What an idiotic statement!!!

He says,,,,"No doubt it works and if you think you need a short barrel and don`t mind buying factory ammo with special powders we can`t buy, then it`s a great choice.".......I say; "I don`t buy factory ammo, I reload." Secondly, I don`t need their special powders that I or we can`t buy!" And thirdly, "Would you care to match fps for fps over a chrony with any 375 bullet weight or bullet type you wish vs my itty-bitty 20" Ruger Alaskan barrel???? Say $100 per every fps??? Maybe $500???.....You haven`t taken me up on my other VLD offer, so maybe this one will be a little more attractive to you???

So what if the H&H has been around before Ruger and Hornady were born? Time does NOT make a bullet shoot any straighter or kill game any better!!! The last time I checked there, "Oldman",,the 375 H&H and the 375 Ruger shoot the same identical bullets??? OH! YOU DIDN`T know that uh???

When it comes to velocity, accuracy, handling speed, killing performance, durability, or anything else you can think of "ol buddy boy",,,,you just let me know!

Your rifle is no doubt prettier or much more beee-u-tee-ful. But when comes to equal performance under any circumstances, in any harsher weather, game, or anything else, I`ll be right there with ya,,,"ol buddy!"

PS! On your next hunt, don`t forget your "Pledge",,,"Liquid Gold",,,"wood putty" (for the dings and scratches), some "weather warping treatment" and whatever you do, try not to lay that rifle on some rocks, against some rocks, drop it, or lose your footing and take a spill with it!!!..........Nice piece of wood that you don`t want to mess up!.....LOL!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I actually had one once back in my Schutz & Larsen collecting days.
Roy built them on S&L M54 actions as that was the only thing he could get big enough, strong enough and with a short throw (rear locking lugs, 60 degree lift) to handle that monster. I did shoot it a few times and it did kick a lot. Loaded down to 375 winchester levels with cast bullets it was a delight and very accurate. One of a few I have seller's remorse on but a certain Weatherby collector gave me an obscene amount of money for it that bought most of my wife's Miata.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by whelennut
I have never fired one but have heard from a reliable source that the .378 Weatherby is about as "real" as it gets! wink
whelennut

Having both the 375 H&H and the 378 Weatherby - have to agree with you.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by whelennut
whelennut

The Japanese and German 378s with very light barrels and no muzzle brake are something to behold, from the bench. I would describe the recoil as...the rifle launches a personal attack or vendetta on the shooter grin....I think because they are like a big 7mm Magnum you shoot them diffently than you do a 458 and similar.

But the US made 378s have the heavier contour barrel, same as the 416 and with the muzzle brake on they are no problem.

As a side note they load back to 375 with ease. 85 grains of Varget (no filler) with either 225, 270 or 300 grainers are from about 2500 to under 2700 and pressure with all three loads is mild, especially the 225 grainers. Muzzle blast is very soft as well as case life is just this side of forever.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by oldman1942

..............Ok Guys! Watch and read how I blow this above and last post (by "Old Buzzard!",,,Whoooops! Excuse me; I meant "Mr Oldman1942!"),,,right out of the water!!!

He says,,,,"We`ll see if the 375 Ruger is around in 98 more years.".......I say "WHO CARES. "WE`LL ALL BE DEAD!" Unless of course Mr Oldman found the "fountain of youth" somewhere! I`m not concerned with 98 years from now, let alone another 30 years........What an idiotic statement!!!

He says,,,,"No doubt it works and if you think you need a short barrel and don`t mind buying factory ammo with special powders we can`t buy, then it`s a great choice.".......I say; "I don`t buy factory ammo, I reload." Secondly, I don`t need their special powders that I or we can`t buy!" And thirdly, "Would you care to match fps for fps over a chrony with any 375 bullet weight or bullet type you wish vs my itty-bitty 20" Ruger Alaskan barrel???? Say $100 per every fps??? Maybe $500???.....You haven`t taken me up on my other VLD offer, so maybe this one will be a little more attractive to you???

So what if the H&H has been around before Ruger and Hornady were born? Time does NOT make a bullet shoot any straighter or kill game any better!!! The last time I checked there, "Oldman",,the 375 H&H and the 375 Ruger shoot the same identical bullets??? OH! YOU DIDN`T know that uh???

When it comes to velocity, accuracy, handling speed, killing performance, durability, or anything else you can think of "ol buddy boy",,,,you just let me know!

Your rifle is no doubt prettier or much more beee-u-tee-ful. But when comes to equal performance under any circumstances, in any harsher weather, game, or anything else, I`ll be right there with ya,,,"ol buddy!"

PS! On your next hunt, don`t forget your "Pledge",,,"Liquid Gold",,,"wood putty" (for the dings and scratches), some "weather warping treatment" and whatever you do, try not to lay that rifle on some rocks, against some rocks, drop it, or lose your footing and take a spill with it!!!..........Nice piece of wood that you don`t want to mess up!.....LOL!

who gives damn??

6.5mm's rock
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mike378

The Japanese and German 378s with very light barrels and no muzzle brake are something to behold, from the bench. I would describe the recoil as...the rifle launches a personal attack or vendetta on the shooter grin....I think because they are like a big 7mm Magnum you shoot them diffently than you do a 458 and similar.

But the US made 378s have the heavier contour barrel, same as the 416 and with the muzzle brake on they are no problem.

As a side note they load back to 375 with ease. 85 grains of Varget (no filler) with either 225, 270 or 300 grainers are from about 2500 to under 2700 and pressure with all three loads is mild, especially the 225 grainers. Muzzle blast is very soft as well as case life is just this side of forever.

Ya mine is a Japanese 26" light barrel with no brake. It gets your attention with full loads.

Get just under 2500 (2493) with 300 gr Sierra's and 83gr IMR 4320. CCI 250 primer.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rifle, but the trolls may differ.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mtnfisher

Get just under 2500 (2493) with 300 gr Sierra's and 83gr IMR 4320. CCI 250 primer.

Similar to my Varget load.

85 grains of 4064 in the 460 hovers right on 2000 f/s and shoots real well. Given about 104-105 of 4064 is a top load with 500s that is a low pressure load.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are nice and very Classic. There isn't a thing wrong with the 375 Ruger and Hawkeye African, either, and they weigh considerably less.

I had two different RSM Rugers in 416 Rigby, and they were delightful rifles for the dough. I feel they WERE underpriced, but not any longer at the new retail.

You sure got a nice one there, oldfogy! cool cool

I wish I owned it, and you had a better one. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mike378

Similar to my Varget load.

85 grains of 4064 in the 460 hovers right on 2000 f/s and shoots real well. Given about 104-105 of 4064 is a top load with 500s that is a low pressure load.

Have to give Varget a try. Have a couple of pounds of it. Thanks.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The ruger RSM's are very good looking guns but "way" overweight for the 375 caliber, also of the 375 RSM's were feeding problem's mine went back to Ruger twice then I traded to a Dealer I didn't like.

Hopefully yours treats you better.

Dino

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Oldman!..........Setting aside our disagreements, I hope it shoots straight for ya giving you some good groupings and velocities!!!

Good luck with it!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
OM,
My friend had a .378 Weatherby on the Schultz and Larsen action.
I can't remember if it said Weatherby on it or not?
I do remember it had two Mercury Recoil reducers and a muzzlebrake and he said it kicked him into next week!
He sold it and got a Ruger 77 .338 Magnum.
Have fun with your new rifle, it looks like a winner!
I love the barrel band swivel, it just looks right!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,121
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.