Print Thread
Hop To
J
JustinH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Does anyone here have this bag? I'm waiting to purchase it pending any info. gathered here. It's the one that's got down on top, synthetic insulation on the bottom, and is shaped kind of like a box rather than a regular bag. Am looking at the rectangular, zero degree model at $199.99. Supposedly the shell is "water resistant" yet breathable, which is what I've been looking for in a bag for a long time. Only drawback seems to be the weight, which is 7.25 lb.s, a tad heavy for a backpack hunt rig. Just checking to see if anyone here has used the bag. Thanks, Justin

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Justin:<P>My uncle and cousin bought that bag for a drop camp elk hunt the season before last. I'm glad I waited to see theirs before deciding what zero-degree bag to buy, because I was seriously considering the 3-D.<P>My impression of those bags is that they are good, middle-of-the-road bags. The workmanship was typical Cabela's, which is to say, steady, if unspectacular. I found the bags to be a bit flat in the loft department, but neither of the people sleeping in them complained about the cold, which got below zero at night. Also, I don't remember them weighing in the 7-pound range. They seemed lighter.<P>I sure wouldn't trust the shell to be water-resistant if I were you, especially as the bag gets older. A good microfiber shell with a DWR finish would be better, in my book, and DryLoft is my choice even with synthetic fills. Call me crazy.<P>As it was, after the second night the bags were being aired out daily so the interior moisture would evaporate.<P>On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate them a 7.<BR> <BR>JMHO.<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
J
JustinH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hi, Rick. Thanks for the good comments. A few more questions. Did your uncle and cousin like the bags/were they satisfied with the bags? Did they have the mummy or the rectangular bags? And, what bag would you recommend that is breathable, warm, and light? I'm definitely open to suggestions of bags that are in your inventory and that you've got first-hand or close second-hand knowledge of. Thanks, Justin

J
JustinH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Rick, I should have added that I'm looking for a rectangular bag. I'll never buy a mummy bag again. I've got a North Face mummy that I've used for three years. I never sleep well in it because I can't move my legs, and I've after three nights in it my inner thighs get a rash from being mashed together. Justin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Justin, I see that you've sworn off mummy bags. Suggest you let the issue cool and re-think it. My thighs are large and my bags do not cause this problem. I also wear poly underwear that is mid-thigh in length. You will move yourself out of the realm of excellent backpacking bags if you do this, in my opinion. Yours is a common complaint; manufacturers have responded with roomier mummy and semi-mummy bags.<P>Also, pound for pound, feature for feature, the mummy will keep you warmer than the rectanglular.<P>If you want a rectangular, hey, it's your haul, it's your call. I'll still hunt with you, but won't let you borrow my bag! Try (read 'actually get in')other bags.<P><BR>Regarding the aforementioned Cabela's bag, I don't have one, so you may wish to scroll down here.<P>I would not take a bag with any down in it on any trip where my life (or fun) could depend on keeping warm.<P>If I may set a record for bad puns in one sentence, when the chips are down, down will let you down.<P>This subject has been covered exhaustively in other posts, but I'll keep ranting.<P>I do not believe there exists a practical way to assure that down keeps dry, short of encasing it in seemless plastic. If you manage to keep water off it, you will still be wetting it from within, at an alarming rate, unless you sleep in a garbage bag. And you have zero chance of drying a down bag in a backpacking situation gone bad.<P>I'll lug the slight extra weight and girth of a good synthetic bag. They're cheaper anyway. You can get really good buys if you buy the synthetic which was last year, but now is not, the latest/greatest. For example, the Ploarguard and Thinsulate family work well. Even the newest stuff is cheaper than down.<P>Heck, I'd pack a Hollo-fill bag instead of down. That shows how old I am!<P>This said, it's tough to beat a down comforter at home! It feels wonderful. But outdoors it sucks water like a dehydrated camel.<P>And don't forget a pad. You may wince at the price of a Therm-a-rest, but you'll be smiling for a long time after your first night on it.<P>At 0 degrees, some kind of pad is a necessity.<P>Good luck, Talus

IC B2

J
JustinH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Talus, thanks for the advice. The other thing about the mummy bag is that I've already got a good one, the North Face bag I mentioned. So there's no point in buying another. Another thing is that most of the hunting I do is in the desert, where it's fairly dry anyway in the fall. If a bag gets wet, it's usually pretty easy air dry it out the next day or so.<P>Thanks again for the info., though. Justin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best bag for under $200 bar none!<BR> <A HREF="http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=7525&prmenbr=226" TARGET=_blank>http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=7525&prmenbr=226</A> <P> [Linked Image]

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Justin:<P>My cousin and uncle both liked their bags, but both became enamored of my Feathered Friends before the trip was over. Of course, the FF costs double.<P>I must respectfully disagree to a point with Talus' statements about down. I agree with the basic premise that down is a terrible insulator when wet, and that there are certain trips where a synthetic is a better choice. Granted.<P>That having been said, take a look at what types of bags folks who go into the harshest environments on Earth use. You'll look long and hard to find a synthetic bag on Everest, for example.<P>Down offers LOTS of advantages. One, it is the most efficient insulation on Earth from a weight/warmth perspective. Two, it is supremely compactible, another big plus when backpacking. Three, it offers unbeatable flexibility in that you can adjust the down within the bag to compensate for warmer or colder weather.<P>IF you buy a down bag, I would strongly recommend, for the reasons that Talus stated, that you buy the DryLoft shell. It is beauceau expensive, but it is really the cat's meow in terms of water resistance. <P>When I first bought my Western Mountaineering Kodiak, I scrunched down the shell in the middle of the bag and poured 8 oz. of water into the "cup" formed. I left it overnight and tipped the bag over the next morning. The water ran literally like off a duck's back, and the DryLoft was absolutely dry. It hadn't soaked in a drop. That type of water resistance means that incidental moisture, spills, condensation on tent walls, etc., are not an issue.<P>Another reason to choose DryLoft is that the water-resistant qualities are physical, in that the physical structure of the membrane (DryLoft is a lighter version of Gore-Tex) is what provides water resistance, as opposed to micro-fiber shells with DWR (durable water repellent) finishes (like NikWax) that wear off over time. Not on my down bag!<P>The only time you might run into problems is if your tent springs a big leak and you get water between the shell and the floor, with the weight of your body on top. That type of pressure could force the water molecules through the DryLoft pores. But since with a down bag you will almost certainly be using a pad (get the Therma-rest), you'd be hard pressed to have that happen unless you pitched camp in a very bad spot and got deep puddles in the tent.<P>Now, another factor to consider is the bag's temperature rating and intended use. The reason that people climbing Everest can safely take avail themselves of down's natural advantages, as mentioned above, is that in the environment they are in, H20 in liquid form is non-existent. In fact, the biggest problem most people encounter with down, as with any sleeping bag, is the INTERIOR moisture generated by your own body while you sleep. That is why it is super important with any bag to have a breathable shell and to turn the bag inside out during the day to air out. For that reason, you will find that most top-tier bags have a black lining to absorb heat from the sun and promote transpiration and evaporation.<P>A good down bag from a top maker like FF, WM, or the Sierra Designs that we carry, will come with a waterproof stuff sack. Put that inside a Seattle Sports dry bag or two layers of Hefty Bag, and you can fall into a river and not sweat a thing.<P>For a zero-degree bag, down is a solid choice. For a twenty-degree bag, especially if you plan on trekking in the Pacific Northwest or Alaska, I agree with Talus that a synthetic might be a better choice.<P>And one final thing, if your synthetic bag gets wet, don't expect to be anything but miserable. I'd make sure the DWR finish is kept fresh, and take the same precautions with the waterproof bags as you would with a down bag.<P>Hope this helps.<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, since we're doing pictures, here's one of what is, in my opinion, the best 5-degree bag on the planet, the Western Mountaineeing Antelope Super DryLoft:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.westernmountaineering.com/antelopesmfdl.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.westernmountaineering.com/antelopesmfdl.htm</A> <P> [Linked Image] <P><BR>It's expensive, but ..... WOW.<P>Rick

J
JustinH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hi, guys. Thanks for the additional information. It sounds like you guys generally go to more extreme than I do when I'm hunting. Most of my hunting is in the high desert in the early fall. Rain is rare, and sub-20 degree nights are the norm. Bag moisture is generally due to condensation inside the bag. <P>I do, however, walk long distances and stay away from the truck for three or four days at a time. I really just need a comfortable, light bag that will keep me warm and dry and, most importantly, let me get a good night's sleep. That's why I've got to have a rectangular bag...I just can't sleep well in a mummy.<BR> <BR>To tell the truth, I'm leaning pretty far toward the Cabela's bag. The shape is right, it's heavy but manageable for a three-day camp, and importantly it sounds like Rick knows a couple of guys who liked it in conditions maybe a little more extreme than what I'd subject it to.<P>A sidenote: After several years of camp-hunting, always sleeping outside (not in a tent), I finally realized that in my mummy bag I never had one single good night's sleep. I was always tired in the morning and getting up was a pain. This last May I went on a ten-day camping trip with my brothers. As we mainly planned just to camp and fish and stay close to our truck, I bought a typical Coleman heavy, flannel lined cotton outer sleeping bag for $35. Big rectangular model, just to try it out. I could spread out my legs, turn comfortably, sleep naked without getting clammy all over. Result: I slept like a baby. Slept so well that a few times I woke up at 4:00 or 4:30 am just raring to go. It was the best feeling in the world. That's why I've got to have a rectangular bag. But it's obviously got to be a better bag than the Coleman for fall hunting trips. Hence, my interest in the 3D. If you know of any other models similar to the 3D that I should be looking at though, I'm all ears (or, eyes :-) ). Thanks again. Justin

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Justin:<P>You're going to hate me for this, so be warned. If you don't want to spend big bucks for a sleeping bag, read NO FURTHER.<P>Here's a bag! The 15-degree semi-rectangular Western Mountaineering Ponderosa.<P> [Linked Image] <BR> <A HREF="http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ponderosa.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ponderosa.htm</A> <P>If you gotta have DryLoft or MicroFiber (I would), here's the ticket:<BR> [Linked Image] <BR> <A HREF="http://www.westernmountaineering.com/sequoiasmfdl.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.westernmountaineering.com/sequoiasmfdl.htm</A> <BR> <BR>I take no responsibility for any irrational actions you might take from here on out. You were warned. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Rick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JustinH, you've found something that causes you to wake up rarin' to go at 4:30 am?! I need one of those for my house! If you see Rick and I on the trail, I'll be the one with the roly-poly sleeping bag!<P>Rick is, of course, correct about finding synthetic bags on top of Everest.<P>Cheers, Talus

B
B
JustinH<BR>Have a look at Wiggys Retangular bag if you want the best.www.wiggys.com<P>Bill

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
JustinH, I went through this same thing a few months back. And after talking to a bunch of these guys, I decided on the Emperor bag from Integral designs with the "PrimaLoft" insulation. It's a rectanguglar 0 degree bag and weighs about 4 pounds. You can check them out at:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.integraldesigns.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.integraldesigns.com/</A> <P>Phil

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a wiggy's bag and it has yet to perform up to the factory hype.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've also got a Wiggy's. It's a good bag, especially for the price. But, I'm not sure it rates up there with some of the bags previously listed.<P>Interesting stuff about using down on Everest. Of course, it's probably pretty dry up there, and there are ways to deal with human created moisture.<P>I'll stick with synthetic, for this area. I'll keep using my Wiggy's too, as it works for me here.

Brian

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is so nice when you can disagree with someone and not have the thread turn into a pissing contest. Things would be pretty dull around here if we agreed on everything. <P>Talus, you're welcome in my camp anytime, roly-poly bag or not. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Rick

J
JustinH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Well, I finally bought my bag. I went up $30 in price from the 3-D, and instead bought the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Rectangular bag. Can't wait to get this thing and head for the hills! Now I just need to come up with a good, lightweight tent to replace my Eureka Timberline. Here're the bag's particulars:<P>Pertex� ripstop nylon outer shell fabric is water-resistant, downproof and breathable. 300T poly-cotton liner fabric is similar to flannel. Dual insulation technology: we filled the top of the bag with 650 fill-power Premium Northern Goosedown. We used Thermolite� Extreme to insulate the bottom of the bag. 3-D construction incorporates sidewalls to give you a roomy sleeping bag without the claustrophobic feeling. Drawcords let you cinch the fully enclosed hood and chest tubes to seal out breezes. Extra wide bands of ZipGlide&#8482; fabric mean the self-cleaning No. 10 YKK� zipper won't snag on the draft tubes. Exterior valuables pocket stores important items. 100% waterproof, roll-top compression stuff sack.<P>Thanks to everybody who gave me advice. I'm hoping I'm getting the best of both worlds--down & synthetic--with the bag. Can't wait for hunting season! Justin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick Bin, -- you impress us more all the time with your knowledge. Most of the guys are just familar with the area where they hunt and draw the conclusion what they use is world wide. The down is the best insulation known to man, used on all the high dollar expeditions in the mountains and areas of low hunidity or extreme cold. Things dry out fast or freeze dry. Some people perspire more than others but the real offender is using a bag rated far below the actual ambient temperature. Like the big gun, little gun thing. Some want the feeling of security,"just in case", and buy bags far below what they need, then prespire in them, besides being very uncomfortable. One must remember you don't turn inside a mummy bag, the bag turns with you like your clothes. I am still looking for one of the bags with several layers, the colder it gets the deeper you get in the bag. I tried the "extreme weather" military bag,(barely), last fall and was not impressed with it,(gore-tex cover and two bags), single or one inside the other in combination with the outer cover. At gun show $250 but other sources up to $450. Will give that sucker another go this year, we will be in WY. Oct 1st and the Slam, CO., Oct 20th, if I can stand the altitude this year, will let you know about that bag.<BR>In the past the warmest, most comfortable, bags I have used,(for years), is the military mountain bag, chicken feathers and down, and when it really gets cold -40 the mountain bag "inside" the old down, oversize arctic bag. From what I have learned on the board about the Pacific Northwest and Alaska, think I will just buy a "wet suit", and wear it like long johns if I ever get there. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,402
Posts18,527,940
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.