Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enjoy it.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Will try to until I replace it in 2.5 years. You were a big help as well as several others.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
CAT head gaskets, intake actuators and waterpumps are money makers but over all, I prefer the C15 family to the ISX. Saw too many of them go down at less miles than they should.

Me

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by stxhunter
cummins

+1

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mako25
That "crazy screw", and excessive rail pressure got many of the mechanical models. Left alone, they were fine - but who would do that?

" who would do that?"

Me,

......some things are better left alone, and driveline repairs and tires ARE expensive.

I pretty much baby mine,......

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The chevy/duramax is the best thing goin. I use my 2500 as an all around vechicle/work truck/towing with a goose neck. It never misses a beat. Service em regular and they keep right on chuggin. 163bc

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, I recieved a similar story via PM this morning. Will look at used Duramax P/U's a bit to check prices, had not priced them as of yet. If I can get a Duramax / Allison 4dr 4x P/U for the $13K I have budgeted I will consider it seriously.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, thanks again for the tips. Looks like we are back to the Avalanche again. Checked Autotrader and Cars.com for Duramax 4dr 4x4 P/U's and they are out of the price range. The only ones under my $14,000 search max had over 210,000 miles on them and I need this next rig to be for the most part (as much as a used rig can be) trouble free for 2.5 years including the small stuff that starts going bad with that much use/wear. Things like door locks and outside air temperature guages and sensors inside the motor and small wiring issues and suspension parts etc. etc. I am sure the motors would go many more miles than the 210K on them but the other stuff is what is nickel and dimeing me to death as well as irritating the heck out of me on my '00 Explorer with now 206,000 on it. Still RUNS and drives great but small thing after small thing keeps going bad. Oh well. Always worth a look and a try. Anyone here have an '03-05 Avalanche for sale? smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by safariman
Wife and I have been looking at a one size does all vehicle for me to replace my 2000 Ford Explorer and 89 F-250 Gas 460 total gas pig 4x4 p/u with one rig. I drive quite a few miles per day/month/year as evidenced by the 207,000 miles on the Explorer.I must have 4 wheel drive and decent ground clearance to get to many of my mountainous area rural business appointments. Add to the equation that I am a might bit bigger than the average Joe at 6'3" and 245 lbs plus my absolute aversion to buying a Jap rig and one can see why a Subaru will not work for me. Also needing 4 doors as I almost always have a couple of hunting buds along on my adventures. Hoping to buy one reliable rig that will be my daily driver as well as hunting rig and pull the 29 foot camping and hunting trailer. Only needs to serve this purpose for 27 more months while I am paying a gazillion dollars a month in alimony. Just read a long thread in the TRUCKS forum here RE F-250 Diesel fuel economy as I was about to pull the trigger on a deal to trade in my Explorer and 89 PU on a 2004 F-350 crew cab 4x4 with a 6.0 liter diesel but read there about dissapointing fuel economy and reliability vs the 7.3. Also seriously considering a 6-8 year old Chevrolet Avalanche. Love the looks and utility but the gas engines in these only get, from what I hear, about 17MPG on the highway and 13-14 in mixed or in town driving. I will be paying cash for whatever I buy and my budget is apx $13,000.00 +/- a bit. Have seen quite a few '02-04 Gas V-8 Avalanche and now 00-05 F250's and 350's with 4 doors 4 wheel drive and diesel motors in this price range.

Nearly bought the 2004 6.0L F-350 today but NOW I am thinking of holding off and looking for a slightly older Ford with the 7.3L motor. Also still considering getting the smaller and cheaper to buy Chevrolet Avalanche. Love the fuel mileage and power of the Dodge Diesels but cannot stomach the body style or that would be my direction. Any input here on the Chev Diesel Quad cab 4x4 P/U's? Is a 7.3L Ford Diesel lots better than the 6.0?
The 7.3 was a proven diesel, but dirty, noisy etc.. The early 6.0s had some issues - mainly turbos.. I think most of that's gone now.
Enough better that it is better to get the older and likely higher mileage rig?
Likely higher mileage?? I'm wondering if you can even find one - much less with anything decent re: miles on the odom..
I am really hoping to get something that will be in the 20+MPG range over the highway, yet still do above requirements. BUT... maybe the higher cost of buying and maintaining the large P/U will overshadow the fuel mileage advantage? Idea's thoughts and suggestions hereby solicited! Thanks in advance.... MARK
Getting any 'large' PU will be a trade-off in mileage.. Big, as in this: [Linked Image] will do everything/anything you need, but power = less mpg..

I get 17 empty, 10.5 pulling 10K+.. Funny thing is, this is about what you were looking at buying - it's an '04 F350 dualie diesel. I'll be unloading my '07 Santa Fe (lease is up in June) and will be driving this on a daily basis... You don't mention how many miles are on the one you're looking at, nor what price they're asking..

I'm considering trading this for a new 2011 F-350 dualie and the new truck's MSRP is extremely close to $60,000... I've only got 33K on mine and they want it bad... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I'm pizzed at the penultimate screw up that Detroit designers, and their Mexican Lackies perpertrated on what should be a Million Mile Engine !

Little to no fuel filtration, NO coolant filtration/conditioning.
Poor cooling, that CRAPPY German Tranny,......

.....dropped into a cheesy and generally WEAK chassis.

As Noted,....I'm looking for "Donor" Cummins plunder and pieces,....Good early to Mid 70 twin I-beam Fords are out there,....needing them engines.

Combine the 2,....you're starting to sneak up on something resembling a truck.

This "New" stuff is a bloody joke.

GTC

Yep, that'd be sweet right there. Been reading a fair amount of diesel related magazines and stuff on the 'net, lots of guys with Ford trucks and Excursions swapping in the 12v and 24v pre-Common Rail Cummins motors. Personally looking for a '94-'98.5 12v 5 speed as a daily driver.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IZZAT the 5 speed ?

Yes.

The New Venture's are much better, but didn't come out until later. A retro-fit will set you back 'bout $4,500.00

The NV4500 transmissions are the cat's azz when it comes to bulletproof.

A transmission is going to cost somewhere around 2k alone, where do you figure the $2,500 comes from? I'm not up to speed on the differences between the older tranny and the NV4500's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
That "crazy screw", and excessive rail pressure got many of the mechanical models. Left alone, they were fine - but who would do that?

" who would do that?"

Me,

......some things are better left alone, and driveline repairs and tires ARE expensive.

I pretty much baby mine,......

GTC

That "crazy screw" aka the KDP, or Killer Dowel Pin, is about a $60-70 dollar fix for what could potential destroy the whole motor. Cheap insurance, if you ask me.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have an Avalanche, and just love the hell out of it. It has the four doors, dry storage in the back, small tool boxes on the back, full size bed when needed. The ride on it is fantastic. I pull a 21' boat with no problems. If you are going to be pulling anything real heavy, then get the Duramax. Can't beat em. MPG on the avalanche is 13 in town and 17 to 18 highway. when I pull the boat, 13. good luck with what ever you chose.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 2007 F350 6.0 and haven't had one problem. I may have gotten lucky...but I didn't want to get a first year new engine model 6.4 when I was in the truck buying time...

[Linked Image]

The land of the free because of the brave.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like Ford trucks, and am a fan of their diesel line, but I don't think it was in their best interest to change the diesel so many times in just one decade. My loyalty is to the 7.3; it can be noisy and smokey, but a proven IH444 design that stood the test of time. The change had to be made for emissions but, the 6.0 and 6.4 were short-runners, which is never a good thing for a truck line-up.
A Cummins and/or Cat option in the F250/350/Excursion line would have dealt a death-blow to both GM and Chrysler. Too bad.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would not buy a truck or car from the Government Motors (GM or Chrysler). You would be supporting the Obama fascist state.

[Linked Image from ]
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (44mc, B52RadarNav, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.