Print Thread
Hop To
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Have one and probably won't sell it anyway, but curious about value. Not enough of these selling to get a good feel for what it would bring. This one is a later model with the crossbolt mag release. Have the box, plastic bag, book etc. SN on box matches rifle. Receiver is not marked Whitworth(marked Mark X) but box says Whitworth and so does the recoil pad. Express rear sight with 1 fixed blade and 2 hinged. Front sling mount is on the forearm, not barrel band. Stock has shadow line cheekpiece, case colored grip cap, and ebony(?) forend tip. When I traded for it 7 or 8 years ago was told original owner shot it 4 times and traded it in. Upon cleaning I believe that to be more or less the extent it was shot. Of course it has the basic Express Rifle stuff; extra recoil lug on barrel and stock crossbolt. Cross bolt face was scratched, apparently from trying to remove or tighten with wrong tool. Smoothed and cold blued this area and the repair is undetectable to me. Other than that it is as new. Comments appreciated.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably a made up "Whitworth" from an Alaskan with Whitworth Express stock and sights...it is just as good, though. It also may have been factory as they were closing down the Interarms guns and was put together there from what they had left. We got some like that in to the store right at the tail end of their run.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Factory job put together with leftover Express and Mark X parts is what I figure. Like I said, the box says Whitworth but the receiver says Mark X and the serial numbers match. The stock is Express, even with the slightly oversize grip, except for the presence of a sling stud. The barrel is Express with leaf sights and recoil lug, except for the absence of barrel band. And the push button floorplate release says its a late model. But still don't know what it would be worth. Have seen some of the pure Whitworth's going for better than a grand.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If selling, ask $800.00-$850.00...it gives some wiggle room. wink

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Take a look on the right side of the receiver, under the bolt. You should see the manufacture year there. There are a number of catalogs on line, if you search real hard. You will be able to see which model you have.
L2S is probably right on the price.
It's nice to kind of sort out which model you actually have. I did this on one of my MarkX/Whitworths. Really helped make sense out of it for me. Even the factory put togethers, sometimes called 'Frankensteins' are really nice rifles. Most came with factory glass bedding, nice fit and finish, adjustable triggers, deep blued finish, shadow line cheek piece, hand checkered walnut stocks, and with strong springs. Most are very accurate, right off the shelf. That is pretty high end kind of stuff for a factory rifle. Remember these were made when everybody else was making value engimeered stuff.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
IC B2

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
BF,have not removed the stock to check that date but did take another look at the box. What looks like a model number is VAR-83601. That's white characters on a black background under the name Interarms. Hand written on the box is 12-15-02 and 1,499.95. Looks like a receive date and asking price.

Tried in the past to find online info on various Mark X's with no luck. All I've been able to find is reprints of catalogs availabe for a price. If you come across any catalog/model/SN info online I'd appreciate the link. Mark X's and Whitworths are an interesting diversion.

On the features you're right about quality. They were an awfully nice rifle for the original price and still are. Mine has all you listed. Thanks.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I can see the year on mine without removing it from the stock. If you are looking at the right side, just near the safety, the numbers should show. That date, I beleive is the date of receiver manufacture, but I am no expert. One point I didn't add was that, they fit me quite well, so they seem to shed recoil a bit for me.
Bfly

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Looks like 0390 between the screws. They do fit well. When I bring it up the open sights are almost dead on. Have not fired mine. Need to get some dies and 45/70 bullets. Starting to get an itchy trigger finger.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Interarms whitworth mark x? They made a few batches of these, serbian mauser actions and the like. I would say 800$ is a low price to offer them at, I usually see them being sold for 1000-2000 range, depending on the little things "here and there". I guess I don't know if anyones actually buying them for that price, but alot are being listed for that.

The one thing I look forward to with technology is to travel back in time to hunt mastodons!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one was what they called a Mark X Express near the end of the run. They don't get Whitworth prices, but they are just as good.

IC B3

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd like to see a list of all the different Mark X & Whitworth models, cataloged and uncataloged, Interarms marketed over the years. And all on the Mauser 98.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Here's a link to a number of Interarms catalogs. There is a lot more information in a catalog than most people realize.
http://www.lenaburgs.net/james/Guns/Walther_Interarms_Catalogs.htm

Enjoy
Bfly

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 75 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.