Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yup getting temps down can be a real challenge. i use a spritz bottle with water to cool down a fire I need tamed fast. it works pretty good in a real pinch and does not hurt the cooker.

you can also add ice cubes to the drip pan.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

GB1

F
F
Not nearly enough cooking space for 550 bucks!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Made the purchase today. Home Depot has the special going in this part of the country also...putting it together. All righty....an update. Did the recommended seasoning burn and then did some chicken thights and yellow squash as a test run. Worked excellent. Held at 350...everything prefect. Going for some Hi-Temp steaks next. Thanks folks...I've been wanting one of these kind of cookers for sometime and it looks like it will do exactly what I wanted. Looking forward to warm weather and spending a lot of time on the back porch.

Thanks again.

Elwood

Last edited by elwood; 02/25/10.

R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Elwood,
I have enyoyed mine so for, the main thing I would tell you to watch is if you want a low temp cook you need to start controlling the temp early because once it gets hot it is hard to bring down.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RNF:

Yeah..that's good advice. I played with the temp some today before I started cooking. I'm going to do some more cooking before I attempt a long, slow smoke. I really appreciate how fast it does come up to temp...nice. And I like how versitle it's going to be...slow or fast. Most smokers don't grill good and most grills don't smoke good...I'm pleased....it's a good machine. And I did like the price compared to the others I've seen.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Elwood

IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You know I took several kegs--cut out the top and now use them for making boiled peanuts. A part of me wants to take a keg, cut it on half, add some hinges and make this myself.

Stay tuned for pics---

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where is the Bubba Keg manufactured?

Jeff

R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Manufactured in China.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
You know I took several kegs--cut out the top and now use them for making boiled peanuts.

Ug, snot in a shell. sick grin I like most food things southern but just can't bear those.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by byc
You know I took several kegs--cut out the top and now use them for making boiled peanuts.

Ug, snot in a shell. sick grin I like most food things southern but just can't bear those.

I'm going to bring you a sack full when I head back up next week... wink

Go Nats!!!!

S
S
Is the steel Bubba Keg more weatherproof and durable than the BGE or Grill Dome with stainless steel hardware? Not sure what kind of steel, or versus ceramic, or how much plastic there might be. Plus, Chinese manufacturing quality concerns me.

I'm looking for a low maintenance Kamodo that doesn't need much love and care. I live in western WA, so it will see a lot of rain and moisture, and I don't want to baby it.

Thanks,
Jake

R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Jake,

I have only had mine for 4 months but it seems to be durable. The only problems I have heard about are some of the screws that hold the handles onto the keg will not tighten all the way before the nut built into the keg turns loose and turns with the screw.

As for as rain the top vent and grates are cast iron and will rust if they get wet. I keep mine under the edge of the carport and use it at least 3 times a week. I would definetly buy again.

Hope this helps

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't have a BK but do have ceramic cookers. I often forget to cover them and they have weathered just fine. We run them in competition even during downpours. No issues. I've got one older cooker that has been outdoors uncovered for probably 10 years. Only thing I had to replace was bottom slide vent and that was to upgrade. I do suggest covering whatever you decide on, however.

Go Nats!!!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,773
Posts18,515,633
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.