-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I like the Zeiss range finding binoculars, but just can't justify spending that kind of money for them. Is there another company out there which has a range finding binocular?

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Leica Geovids

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
check out the demos that doug has right now, zeiss for $2500, if I was going to buy new. I might spring for those over the new leica HD's

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Leupold and Bushnell used to make them. I have a set of the 8x Leupold Wind River rangefinding binocs and like it very much. Maybe you can find one used.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/25/10.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Leica for me. Give Doug a call!

Last edited by jprice; 02/25/10.

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Doug's demo deal allows some to consider a Geovid, when before they were way out of my league pricewise, just like the new EL and Zeiss rangefinder still are. If you want an alpha rangfinding binocular, I don't see how you could go wrong with that demo deal.

John

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DayPacker
I like the Zeiss range finding binoculars, but just can't justify spending that kind of money for them. Is there another company out there which has a range finding binocular?

Can you give us some kind of idea what yer price range might be?

WhiskeyMan

Confucious say.....he who angers you.....controls you.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There are only two real binoculars that have a range finder added as an accessory. The Leica and the Zeiss. Bushnell is allegedly coming out with one for about $1K. I saw it on some site, but can't seem to find it now.

There are lots of range finding binoculars, at least that are advertised as such. Mostly they are two rangefinders cobbled together to make a fairly crappy binocular that can tell you the range.

If you don't want to fork over for the Zeiss or the Leica, then stay with a two piece combo. One each decent range finder and binocular.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SteveC99
There are only two real binoculars that have a range finder added as an accessory. The Leica and the Zeiss. Bushnell is allegedly coming out with one for about $1K. I saw it on some site, but can't seem to find it now.

There are lots of range finding binoculars, at least that are advertised as such. Mostly they are two rangefinders cobbled together to make a fairly crappy binocular that can tell you the range.

If you don't want to fork over for the Zeiss or the Leica, then stay with a two piece combo. One each decent range finder and binocular.

In a roundabout way.....that's where I was headed. How big is yer budget? If yer close to the Zeiss RF price.....maybe I can convince you cuz I just bought one.....8x45.....and LOVE it for several reasons. I also own the new Leica HD Geovid 15x56.

WhiskeyMan

Confucious say.....he who angers you.....controls you.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I converted from binos and a 1200 Leica rangefinder to the 10 x 42 Leica Geovid HDs this year. After three big game hunts wearing them constantly I am sold on the concept of combining both into one unit.

I cannot imagine EVER going back to separate units. What a luxury to push a button while looking at something through high quality optics! It is no longer a chore and as a result you range far more often.

While the 1200s were a great unit they didn't have the resolution of the Geovids and that made it difficult to find the animal for ranging. It sucked to go from the binos to the rangefinder to the riflescope.

Spend the money and enjoy the technology!

Last edited by Azshooter; 02/26/10.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I guess I am just being cheap. I will have to take out a loan. I could maybe think about 1k but 3k is just way too much.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the 10x42 Leica Geovids and paid 2K for them about 3 years ago. The regular Geovids were upgraded to the HD Geovids and there were some fantastic rebates and deals going on a couple of months ago. A friend bought a pair of 8x42's from Doug and with the rebate paid less than $1300!

Like everyone says, call Doug and see if he still has any of the old model Geovids and if the rebate is still going on. Perhaps if you could find one of the older model Geovids (not HD) then you could get one for $1500 or so. I don't see how the optics could be much better than the Geovids I have, but maybe so. It would be a barely discernible difference at best since I don't see how the sight picture could get better.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
As someone posted earlier bushnell is coming out with a 10x42 called the Fusion. It has the elite 1500 rangefinder in a pair of ledgend bino's I believe. They will cost in the $900 range and should be available in the next month. They wont be geovids or zeiss but may be very functioal for your needs. Dean

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes...Fusion. That is what I could not think of. Thanks. Check out the product link at CameralandNY. Doug lists them for $799. That's $100 less than where I saw them in the first place. Heck, I should have thought to check there in the first place prior to my post. smile

Last edited by SteveC99; 02/26/10.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Does anyone know [ballpark] how long manufacturers will stand behind these high-end bino/rangefinder units ?

If the rangefinder fails after five years -will they fix it ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,737
Posts18,514,428
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.