Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
O.K. I tweeked my original question a little bit. We are all in agreement that the Vangaurd is a good gun, especialy for the low price. What if I want (wich I do) the stainless version with an upgrade to a more attractive stock. Bringing the grand total, without scope, to $650-700. The caliber that I want is 257 Weatherby, and I cannot afford their pricey models. Is this rifle still a good enough model to justify the higher price. Thanks for any info.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Only you can answer that question. Personally, I restocked mine for alot less using a Bansner Hi Tech stock and did all the work myself.

MtnHtr

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Well, I have a 110 Savage. I'm getting ready to swap the 7-08 barrel for a 30-06 (what I wanted) barrel, put a Leupold/Burris scope, and a B&C Carbolite stock on it. That will bring the grand total up to about $650. For that money I could have bought a Rem or Win and still needed a scope.

Why did I do it? I'm LH and it was available cheap. I was going to just change the stock and put a better than the Simmons scope on it. One of the Campfire people has a 30-06 barrel at a good price. It shoot very well. It isn't so pretty as to make me sick as it gets dings.

If you like it and it shoots to suit you. Make it how YOU want it. If you end up with the cost of a Rem BDL/ Win M70, so? You have what ;you want how you want it.

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
To answer your question: Yes.
In my opinion, I think it's better than a Remington model anything anytime. I looks way better than any of the Savages and you can get it in the best heavy varmint, all time best deer killin caliber of all time. The 257 Weatherby.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would pass on the Bell & Carlson stock and get the Banser High-Tech...

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's about what you want. I wanted to shoot the 257 wby mag, and I also didnt want to spend 1200.00 or more for a Mark V, of which is a nice rifle. But I just went out and shot my new Vanguard, it easily shoots 1 inch at 100 yds, and I havent even gotten serious with it yet, so. for me, the answer is yes.

I also enjoy shooting rounds not every tom dick and harry shoots. Let's say I am a little bit different. For me, I may purchase a few more. As for the stock upgrade, the prices are well within what you would pay for some of the other stock upgrades. For 400 to 500 dollars, is anyone piller bedding or better their rifles? I dont think so. So it's your choice. The earlier comment about a left handed Savage, because they offer them in alot of calibers other than just 30-06, 270, and 243, is a great way to go if you are a lefty and must have a left handed bolt. Makes perfectly good sense. Me, I am a lefty, and I have shot right handed bolts soo much, I have to think about what I am doing when I hunt with my left handed Model 700.

Dont ask me, I am biased, I love my new purchase of the vanguard in 257 wby. Great Caliber.............

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I would pass on the Bell & Carlson stock and get the Banser High-Tech...

Why?

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
M
M
Only you can decide if it's worth it to you. My wife bought me one of the blue Vanguards in 270 Win for my birthday. All I did was adjust the trigger and mount a Nikon scope in Weaver bases and rings. The first trip to the range three Federal premium 150 grain Partitions went into a 3/4 inch group @ 100 yards. The next three groups were all less than an inch. I know guys who spend a hell of a lot more for less accuracy. I've been so impressed with the Vanguard planning to buy one in 338 and one in 257 Weatherby. The only thing I have found to complain about is they are a little heavier than I like, about 8.5 pounds all up, but I can live with that.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Grimel,

The Bansner stock weighs considerably less than the B&C, plus they fit alot of shooters well. My Bansner stocked Vanguard weighs in at 7.6lbs w/scope -not too shabby.

MtnHtr

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Mtn Htr,

Okay, the lighter weight is a good reason. Where can I find a banser stock? I've googled without success.

Never mind. I finally managed to find them via alta vista. They don't have a stock for the Savage 110. $625 for them to fit it is a bit much vs $170 for the B&C for 8 oz. Anything is straighter thus more comfortable than the 110 factory stock.

Last edited by grimel; 12/05/04.

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$625 for them to fit it is a bit much vs $170 for the B&C for 8 oz.

You're joking ... right? How much do you think your gonna pay to bed and fit your B&C?? Buy the stock for $210 ... I paid $265 for mine, but I had them install the recoil pad. Little elbow grease will save a lotta moola.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Two weeks ago I went into Wallmart and purchased a Weatherby Vanguard DLX VGD Sport Mdl. rifle in 7MM Rem. Mag. rifle. I dident need an other rifle but the wood stock was outstanding for a $ 460.00 rifle. The test target was a three shot 3/4 inch group. I called Weatherby and found out that they used Federal Classic 150 Gr. Hi Shock ammo 7RA for test fireing. Their rifles will shoot 1 1/2 inch groups or less at 100 Yds. Go to www.weatherby.com This Mdl. may be a best buy .

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
$625 for them to fit it is a bit much vs $170 for the B&C for 8 oz.

You're joking ... right? How much do you think your gonna pay to bed and fit your B&C?? Buy the stock for $210 ... I paid $265 for mine, but I had them install the recoil pad. Little elbow grease will save a lotta moola.

Considering the B&C is "drop in" for a Savage (so I can finish fitting and bed it myself) and Banser doesn't offer drop in for a Savage and $625 is Banser's webquote. I have niether the stuff nor the desire to inlet a blank.

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think the "update' stocks sold right through Weatherby are pretty sturdy. I ordered their cheapest one (189 bucks) direct from Weatherby for my 300 Weatherby Vangard and it is a wonderfully sturdy stock, far better than the "rubbermaid" stocks they put on their factory Vangard rifles. This 300 Weatherby is the 6th rifle I've owned with this action, two of them made by Smith and Wesson or Howa. All are accurate, real accurate. My 300 Weatherby shoots Handloaded 200gr Speer Hot Cores under MOA if I do my part and will shoot MOA or only a bit worse, if I don't do my part. The rifle is very forgiving and the new Weatherby stock is comfortable to shoot, even though it is a 300 Weatherby

I too am going to order a new Vangard in 257 Weatherby. I feel it will compliment my 300 very nice. I will order the 'update weatherby' stock for it as well.

CM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think Weatherby should free up all of their cartridges in the Vanguard, I bet there would be a whole bunch of us jumping on them. I am really liking my 257 wby vanguard. I think it is a heck of alot of rifle for the money.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
AggieDog,

Very true, but the 378, 416 and 460, case rims I doubt would fit.

But, I would like to add to my Vanguard Collection: a 240 WM, a 257 WM, a 270WM a 7WM and I'd love nothing more than a 340 WM and I would really love to have a Vanguard chambered in 375 WM (a real classic in my book.) including open sights.

"What say Weatherby." "How about a few more options?"

CM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If they chamber the Vanguard for the .340 , I'm reachin' for my checkbook.........

Also would be nice to see an alternative to the M-700 in the big RUM cases.........

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am seriously thinking about one of their new stainless models in 338 Win for a moose hunt in Alaska next year.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
But why didn't they use 26 inch barrels for their magnum cartridges in the Vanguard?

Landrum

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Landrum ... That is a very good question.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 257 roberts, 56 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,894
Posts18,518,374
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.