Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I know there is a wealth of info out there on a lot of different spotters. Seven years ago, I sold the old Spacemaster and did a lot the research and looked through many different ones. I ended up choosing a B&L Elite 20-60x70 spotter. Mainly because I got a great deal and also because it did what I needed it for. A good in between spotter

But now both knees are shot, so my sheep and goat hunting expeditions will be curtailed....a lot!!

So I went and sold the spotter. Dumb move, as I now have a need for one for hunting black bears and BT deer here on the coast.

I have narrowed down my choice for a light weight spotter to one of these three. I want a light weight one as I do a lot of backpacking here on the Island. I found my Elite at 45 oz plus tripod ok for sheep and goat hunting, but I want a nice light one for beating through the brush on day hikes.

I will need some help as I am a long way away (5+ hour drive one way) from looking at any of these right now, but will be able to look at each in about a month.

Most expensive
Nikon 50ED

Mid Price
Bushnell Elite 15-45x60

Not the cheapest, but a great price form Doug (even with the shipping and other crap that Canada adds to stuff from the US)
Minox 50.

I know about the good reviews of the Nikon, have not read much about the Bushnell, and have read very little on the Minox.

Did I miss any???

It will be used mainly in the wet, foggy, windy Pacific Northwest and some moose and bear guiding in the fall. I am not worried about low light as I have yet been able to "SEE" a big animal at dusk that was far enough away that I needed my spotter and then had time to stalk and shoot the animal. If I need the spotter over my Leupold binos, then it was too far away to hunt that day.

Thanks

Cheers

SS

If you shoot it on your own, they will cook it
If you don't, they will feed you something they shot.
Which is like having another man change your tire on your truck, NOT GOOD
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you haven't seen it already, scroll down, there is a good thread on the Minox MD50.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
In the 50mm class, I doubt you can beat the Nikon ED.
The other thing is that if you need a spotter at all, you need all the image clarity you can get. Alot of magnification puts huge demands on the lenses to produce that. While a large objective will go a long way to help deal with that problem, when you put lots of demands on a small 50mm objective, you really need first class optics.
I've seen some really crappy, cheap spotters. No where in optics is spending money more important for real performance. E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,002
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.