Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I removed my .375 from the safe for practice. It wears a Vari XIII in 2.5X8. I placed it against the door of my safe. The little pointer came to play and my big rear hit the rifle so that it landed on the scope against the edge of the safe. A check of zero found it 7" high at 100yds (it was sighted 2.5" high at this distance). I adjusted the scope to bring it to 2" high. I've now shot 20 rounds through it since and its seemed to hold zero. I can consitently hit my 8" 200 yd gong. Based on this, I don't think I damaged the scope, but I'm not sure why there would have been 0.07" of play.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Rings/bases, likely.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I wondered about this. That seems like an awful lot of play. If that's true, then it should be the best seated scope around!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I think its on one of the Best of the West dvd's that they take a mallet and hit the scope and the bases move causing the scope to be several inches off at 100 yards. They take and pin the base to the reciever to keep it from moving. I think it said that all bases on 700 type action can move if not pinned. It went on to say that most guns that had taken a fall did not hurt the scope but the bases had moved.

Dink

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Likely it is the rings/base(s) combination. Some are more prone to move than others like Talleys which tend to hold tight. If you are concerned about the scope in any way simply send it to Leupold. In ten days or so you will more than likely have it back and NO worries. Try that with a Swarovski, 2-6 months turnaround if you are lucky.

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by DINK
I think its on one of the Best of the West dvd's that they take a mallet and hit the scope and the bases move causing the scope to be several inches off at 100 yards. They take and pin the base to the reciever to keep it from moving. I think it said that all bases on 700 type action can move if not pinned. It went on to say that most guns that had taken a fall did not hurt the scope but the bases had moved.

Dink

Well, that, and they are using POS, overpriced Chinese crap for scopes. At least, they are hawking those scopes; close attention will indicate S&B PM-IIs on a few of those shots...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ishawooa338
Likely it is the rings/base(s) combination. Some are more prone to move than others like Talleys which tend to hold tight. If you are concerned about the scope in any way simply send it to Leupold. In ten days or so you will more than likely have it back and NO worries. Try that with a Swarovski, 2-6 months turnaround if you are lucky.

You may very well be correct about leupold, but can you explain swarovski complaint? Just hasn't been my experience, nor have I heard of any. Please elaborate on personal experience.

Thanks,

Jason

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
vanimrod,
If I remember correctely they were using leupold scope,bases and rings. I don't think it matters what scope is mounted if your rings or bases move.
Dink

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ishawooa338

These are Leupold QR bases for Sako and Leupold QR rings. The scope hit HARD against the safe and put a small dent in the objective. I have no argument with either the mounts or scopes. This one is completely on me.

You're right, though. I've used Leupold service a couple of times. Its probably worth it to send it to them for peace of mind prior to my trip to Africa in July.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
vanimrod,
If I remember correctely they were using leupold scope,bases and rings. I don't think it matters what scope is mounted if your rings or bases move.
Dink

What crap are they hawking again?

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hit any scope hard enough and the scope's zero will move. Some more than others. This also applies to repeated blows. Sooner or latrer, they all move.
I once fell on an excellent, tough B&L 4X. The gun shot about 3 inches left of it's zero. Didn't realize it wasn't the scope at all, but the Ruger Rings had literally loosend from the impact, shifting the zero. Wouldn't have believed that unless I'd have seen it.
I've seen lots of other "scope problems" that were actually mount and ring problems. In fact, I've seen far more mount(ing) problems than true scope problems.
Be this as it may, I'd put at least 60 rds. through it to see if it holds it's zero. I'd also submerge it in warm, 140 degree water for at least five minutes to make sure it doesn't leak from a cracked seal. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 03/01/10.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
too true see if the thing leaks! Heck just send it to Leupold with a note.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've had two similar experiences with Leupolds scopes. Once dropped one scope down out of the scabbard of a horse slightly smaller than the Trojan horse. Had to shoot it for piece of mind-scope did not change zero.

Next year I slipped on a shale slide protecting the rifle and scope as I went down bumping it slightly but taking most of the impact on my shoulder. Result: missed a huge 6-point bull at 300 yds and found the impact changed 12" to the right at 100 yds.

Moral: don't trust it, esp with a big trip planned. Send it back and have it checked.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
My intention is to call them tomorrow or Friday to let them know its coming, then box it up this weekend. I have put about 20 rounds of full power 300 grain stuff downrange and it appears to hold zero, but y'all are right. I'd feel pretty uncomfortable going to Africa with it as-is.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
My intention is to call them tomorrow or Friday to let them know its coming, then box it up this weekend. I have put about 20 rounds of full power 300 grain stuff downrange and it appears to hold zero, but y'all are right. I'd feel pretty uncomfortable going to Africa with it as-is.

I'd do the same, piece of mind and all. On a related note, if I ever catch that SOB Murphy I gonna waterboard him until he repeals his law! (grin)

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Dink

That is exactly why many precison shooters, bed their scope bases to the action. I have a win model 70 that had the base moving side to side and was stringing horizontaly when shooting groups. I had a 150 dollar Nightforce base on the rifle and a 3.5X15X50 NXS. Pining or beding the base will correct this issue

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 65 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,475
Posts18,529,535
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.